9th Necromundan "Death Blades"

Mat

theottovonbismark":19v1gu8q said:
Cool, they are really coming together nicely now. The Olley Ogryn squad is a sight to behold, they are a great set of figures and really go well with the rest of the goggled infantry. Looking forward to seeing the thudd battery painted up, presume you have a bunch of crew with an ordinance officer or ad-mech guy to support them.

Cheers Sean.
The ogryns are great models. I like satisfyingly heavy chunks of lead to move around the table, and these guys meet that criteria nicely.

I primed the thudd guns last night, and did some more work on the company command squad, that I might finish tonight.
The thudd gun crew are mainly plastic guardsmen and a few metal ones. I have three for each gun, so a total of nine. I need to prime them yet, so the unit mightn't be ready for a week or two (depending on distractions that pop up). I will be adding an ad-mech guy in power armour to the army, with four of the second edition servitors. That should cover my RT ad mech requirements for most situations, but if I run all of the sentinels, all of the support weapons, the grav attack vehicle and the land speeder I will be well short of custodians. I would probably need to add another couple of ad-mech dudes plus entourage which I'm not really willing to do at this stage. Down the track perhaps. If I did that I'd add a trojan to the army too, that can count as a rhino in RT games and give them all enough places to sit. In regular 40k games giving preferred enemy to one of the support units would be just mean.

Anyway, I'll have something completed that I can post in the next day or so.

Mat

4EAC4702-E81B-4105-B8BC-EA60EAD8266E_zpswsjdq5sh.jpg

Regimental standard done (pretty much anyway).
I changed it slightly from the cover are, putting Roman numerals on it that make sense, and not having any battle honours on it (yet ;) ).
blogger-image-892697655_zpsa46f56d8.jpg

Should finish the command squad redux tonight.

Mat

Command squad is redone.
18A7F5CE-7598-426C-9F74-70D136E7AD2D_zpse5tsghp8.jpg

They are all metal models, consisting of the fleet liaison officer, orderly with regimental standard, Imperial Guard Captain, heavy weapon trooper (from the older Imperial Army range, an Olley Guardsmen with Cadian plastic arms and gun, colour sergeant, medic and psyker that will stand in as an astropath (until I get an astropath some day).

Here are some closer shots of the captain.
0D6FC52D-DBF9-4023-94B8-AEA7B3958A8F_zpsvgmf5gfh.jpg

I have painted him in standard company colours.

362A3CD5-5563-4A8A-8F34-8413E05E21CA_zpsulaysaxp.jpg

I added some battle damage to the shoulders. After these were taken I added some to the chainsword too.

A9329584-DD4A-4C47-AE90-9350B9FE05F0_zpsxqzjr4zz.jpg

I have tried to give them a pale skin tone, with a purple wash to reflect the lack of sunlight in the hive they are originally from.

4AA8B0BD-C26B-4A7C-9B16-D617E9E03373_zpsyaebax7z.jpg

Note that the pistol arm is magnetic. I have painted a laspistol, plasma pistol, and bolt pistol. All are Cadian plastics, with the plasma pistol being forgeworld resin.

CB6ED6D3-EE16-4E0C-93D2-5A31CA268C28_zpstyeigq4n.jpg

So that's it. Company command squad is done.

Mat

Thanks Suber. Most of these guys have been in my possession since they were new.
I have added a few models here and there from eBay, but not too many.

Just a wip update today.
These thudd guns are pretty much done for now. I need to do a final tidy up on them, but I will do that when I paint up the crew.
20ED5CC3-5DA9-45AD-9633-E4140643B362_zpsr2bcbl9u.jpg

Note that the ink is still wet on the wheels of one.
"Patience, the boy must learn patience." says Yoda in my head.

I really wasn't sure what colour to do these. Most of the hard armoured bits and weapons on my models are black, so I went with that rather than predominately grey. I do feel like they need some more finishing details, like hazard stripes somewhere or something.
I am trying to get the crew done in the next 2 nights. We will see how that goes.

Mat

So after a Herculean effort (by my standards anyway) I managed to get the crew models finished.
5th Squad, Blue Platoon, F Company, 9th Necromundan, 24th Army Group is unleashed.

Group shot showing the whole unit.
3ABFD5AA-04CA-4AB9-8EA5-62793CA104C4_zpsxs2a1c1a.jpg

And the individual guns:
FB4896D1-8C7C-4AA3-9218-72FF21EBBB0C_zpsyqruatkt.jpg

I will write "Death Blades" on the scroll on the front of the guns one day. I'm going to need a new brush for that job though.
006F5BF7-7942-4BD9-98DC-49D037E342FF_zpspljoyjlw.jpg

A9B12B17-BD77-49B3-85E5-9CA787C014FB_zps6l5fotid.jpg

This crew has the unit sergeant in it. He can be distinguished by his dramatically posed Cadian plastic arm.

So that's it for now. Another squad done.
:)

Mat

Thanks chaps. I am really enjoying painting this army. It has been a long time coming for some of them, but it's like catching up with old friends. And then hacking them to pieces with a sharp knife (in some cases anyway!).

So I painted some vehicles.
C5451DF3-C5B6-468E-98FE-B6615CE16FDE_zps4egdib8q.jpg

Dubbed the "Eggs on Legs" as later model plastics were released, these old sentinels are once again ready to unleash multi-laser death on those who scoff.
D67CD275-C743-4D8D-834E-AEAE056F9CD4_zps8e7dpc2d.jpg

They are assigned to red platoon as seventh squad, and crewed by standard tactical troopers.
642C02D2-74FC-4A63-8AC3-81DF19AE7042_zpsdihy5tsm.jpg

Perhaps fittingly, the imperial eagle is the last thing some heretics see. However it also presents a nice, easily spotted, extremely tempting target.
03097B46-F481-45C0-B54D-81D0D0F026BB_zpsabin42sw.jpg

And when all else fails, you can always draw your laspistol in case the multi-laser doesn't stop them.
F560DB24-BD91-447D-8499-40B2CC42F740_zpslo8ekr5g.jpg

C871B262-96F5-4AE9-9120-E125612DEF89_zpshbmpqqa9.jpg

So that's that for now. Adios.

Orjetax

Excellent. I seldom see the egg sentinels painted, which makes me like them even more.
What a classic look. Great stuff.

Mat

Cheers guys.
I am looking forward to getting the servo-steeds done, but it won't be for a little while yet.

But I'm not sitting about twiddling my thumbs, I have made some progress.

Interrogator Viggio Veritas is right hand man of the Inquisitor, and authorised to act on his behalf in most matters.

Here he can be seen with his former colleagues, who used to make up his retinue with him.
F0EEB786-218E-495A-B952-2EE3C2B14660_zpsfgzqgmab.jpg

This is a pretty old model from rogue trader days, probably about 1990, or the late 80's. It did have a tab but it was illegible.
That looks suspiciously like a smartphone mounted on his right shoulder (presumably for hands free commentary while slaying heretics). These GW sculpters were so ahead of their time.
98E974F2-1778-483F-8D8C-2A51D24338A3_zpsnrla9gct.jpg

Detail of questionable quality chequer pattern. I was quite happy with the freehand, but not so much when I zoom in on it!
35747C8F-E6D5-4341-9A21-2765AB12A83A_zps530g5698.jpg

Old style rogue trader backpack from forgeworld. The original model had big cavities in the pauldrons so a normal backpack could fit. I filled them with putty and put this backpack on, as the vents poke out the back, not the sides.
9B04E227-3A90-45D4-B704-9A0A15861F1D_zpsmsjl4hpo.jpg

You can also see some of the detail on the daemon weapon. It has a purple wash on the fleshy bit to help it stand out, but it is hard to see here.

So that's that for now.
Another model done.

Nice. Got that model back in the day one Christmas along with the other two daemon hunters. Think it was 89 but it might have been released in 88.

cheetor

Those Sentinels look fantastic, although I find myself holding my breath as I look at them: those models have the structural integrity of a clown car. They look so nice though. Im not usually that nostalgic about that Sentinel design, but I am now.

A few of those Ordo Malleus Inquisitors are cropping up painted recently, which I think is great. The three models get a bit of bad press and the model shown - which looks absolutely brilliant by the way - seems to get the most grief due to the shoulder pad cavities.

I really quite like those three Inquisitor sculpts. They may not be the most slick sculpts around, but they have loads of character all the same I think. I have been light-heartedly accused of being a turd polisher when it comes to some of the older models that I enjoy painting, so maybe my opinion isnt the best gauge, but I think that model with that paint job (and that excellent choice of backpack) screams "I AM INQUISITOR!" brilliantly, better than the terminator Inq shown earlier.

The Inquisitors former colleagues are great too :)

This thread is really good, enviable. In some respects its the Guard army that I always wanted, excellent. Im looking forward to seeing the AdMech additions.

Suber

Absolutely great, full of charm. As Cheetor says, that's the perfect 'I'm a f&%$ing Inquisitor, you scum' vibe.

Back