Undead by Subedai

Subedai

These first generation Skeletons have been modded with a few newfangled bits and are answering the call of my Vampire Counts, but it just goes to show that the passing of time is of little concern for the Undead.

wfb_undead_skeletons_01.jpg

More info here: http://thelostandthedamned.wordpress.com/2013/11/07/arise/

Aiteal

I love the blond guy's face
Wait? What! Where am I? Ahh crap, I'm a skeleton's trophy head, that's just flipping great!

Blue in VT

Im not really a fan of undead figures....but I have a soft spot for the plastic skeletons from back in the day...and yours look stunning...well done! :grin:

Cheers,

Blue

Subedai

vintagephreak":t1i61qty said:
They look great! What's your basecoat colour for skellies, and do you use washes at all?
M

Thanks! The whole process is just wash and drybrush based, it works well on these sculpts I find.

They are sprayed white, then get a base coat of Ushabti Bone. Over that I apply a generous wash of Seraphim Sepia, followed by Agrax Earthshade in the deeper recesses, like around the joints etc. Then I add a bit of Nuln Black wash into the eye sockets, the nose cavity and around the teeth. After that I drybrush everything with Ushabti Bone, followed by a light drybrush with White Scar, mostly just around the edges and focussing especially on the face (what's left of it). It brings out the teeth quite nicely, but occasionally I need to do a little fixing afterwards, like reapplying a bit of black wash around them. All Citadel paints from the current (I believe) range.

Hey really liking your scheme and the graduated highlights culminating at the near pure white on the heads. The blood splatter on the sword is very near realistic and subtle. Looking forward to more of your work.

phreedh

Nice stuff Subedai!

Only nitpick is how live and healthy those heads look. =D But I agree with Aiteal's observation, there's a whole narrative in the look on those faces. =D Would make a great epilogue to a Warhammer Quest campaign. You need to do those two adventurers in a living version too. =) They failed in their quest and are now serving in concious undeath as reanimated totems.

Subedai

Thanks all!

phreedh":jpkxi7aq said:
Would make a great epilogue to a Warhammer Quest campaign. You need to do those two adventurers in a living version too. =) They failed in their quest and are now serving in concious undeath as reanimated totems.

Great idea! I'm meaning to pick up some militia for my witch hunter themed Empire army, I'll be designating two of them as previous owners of the chopped off heads. I didn't paint them in my usual zombified colours as they seemed pretty freshly taken and not shrunken or with horribly twisted visages.

Subedai

I'm painting some metal Skeletons for my Undead to finish off two regiments. This should be quick...

Attachments

• wfb3_skeletons_01.jpg
    wfb3_skeletons_01.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,660

WARHAMSTER

Really like the skellies, what warhammer edition are you collecting for? 3rd? 4th?... its one of those armies that is really different between editions, if you go for 3rd, you get skellies with crossbows and mummies, but the later armies go all vampire and get bats and wolves

Subedai

These last two guys are for 3rd, the plastics are for my modern Vampire Counts. Both currently consist mainly of several blocks of Skeletons and Zombies for the shambling hordes feel and are lead by Vampires and Necromancers. I'll add support troops for 3rd over time once the core is finished, at the moment I don't have enough of them to build into units.

Subedai

The standard bearer completing the regiment, a mix of Citadel and Marauder. With all the reshuffling of my Undead hordes, this unit contains models painted between the late 90s and today, which explains the different shades of bone colour. Can't really see it in the snapshot, but unfortunately I am out of a proper camera at the moment.

Attachments

• wfb3_skeleton_standard.jpg
    wfb3_skeleton_standard.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,620
  • wfb3_skeletons_02.jpg
    wfb3_skeletons_02.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,620
Subedai":1agms7g1 said:
vintagephreak":1agms7g1 said:
They look great! What's your basecoat colour for skellies, and do you use washes at all?
M

Thanks! The whole process is just wash and drybrush based, it works well on these sculpts I find.

They are sprayed white, then get a base coat of Ushabti Bone. Over that I apply a generous wash of Seraphim Sepia, followed by Agrax Earthshade in the deeper recesses, like around the joints etc. Then I add a bit of Nuln Black wash into the eye sockets, the nose cavity and around the teeth. After that I drybrush everything with Ushabti Bone, followed by a light drybrush with White Scar, mostly just around the edges and focussing especially on the face (what's left of it). It brings out the teeth quite nicely, but occasionally I need to do a little fixing afterwards, like reapplying a bit of black wash around them. All Citadel paints from the current (I believe) range.

I will dutifully try out (steal *cough*) your painting technique shortly as I have been trying unsuccessfully to amend my skelly painting techniques recently. I have to say I have those plastic skellies and am not a massive fan on the sculpts but you have done a massively fine job on them.

Harry

Wonderful stuff.
Great looking unit.
Love the skellie with the heads in the first post ... missed this first time around.
(Some of those guys look very familiar. :grin:)

Subedai

I needed a break from unit painting and painted a Necromancer and a Spectre instead. The Necromancer figure is taken from Ugezod's Death Commandos, and has served me in that role since my early days of gaming. He always reminded me of an evil Gandalf. I gave him a complete repaint over some enamels. The Spectre is a newer addition, painted for the first time. I wanted to give the Nihilakh Oxide technique a try and am satisfied with the result, and how quick it was to do. In order to make the model a bit more interesting and raise the creepiness factor I painted in empty, bleeding eye sockets.

wfb3-necromancer-spectre-1.jpg

wfb3-necromancer-spectre-2.jpg

Gerner

Both models are excellent! The bleeding empty sockets is a fantastic idea, going to try that out at some time. :)

Back