Undead by Subedai

Subedai

Gerner":2qwhnd5n said:
Both models are excellent! The bleeding empty sockets is a fantastic idea, going to try that out at some time. :)
Thanks! The figure needed something extra to avoid the bed sheet effect, happy with how it turned out, gothic horror style.

Subedai

Katsuhiko JiNNai":1jkhnpyj said:
Some really well painted miniatures :mrgreen: I especially like the spectre.
Cheers! It was a really quick job, but all that was needed for the sculpt in my view, it's a great model.

Subedai

zoggin-eck":2px11f72 said:
Ha, as said already, the ghost eyes are so clever! The blue/bone for the witch is nice, too.
Thanks!

I'm continuing to pick the odd model for my Undead to paint, avoiding the remaining rank and file skeletons. I really like the HeroQuest mummy, its pose and bulk is better suited to its T5/W4 compared to the rather weedy metal sculpts. I think a unit of three with the HQ mummy in the middle as leader would look good.

Attachments

• wfb3-mummies.jpg
    wfb3-mummies.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,278

Subedai

ardyer":3c4be7fl said:
Damn, I wish I could have gotten my mummies to look that good!
The grass is always greener on the other blog post! I think yours look more menacing, ragged in a good way. Now I think mine could be more bleached and dried out looking. Interestingly, despite using same procedure and paints on both, the metal sculpt turned out looking quite different and darker.

Naagruz

Mormo & the spectre are great!
Mormo always struck me as a necromancer as well & the colors you used are spot on.

Subedai

Thank you for the feedback!

I've made some progress on the rank and file, painting a couple more armoured Skeletons with shields (mostly).

Attachments

• wfb3-armoured-skeletons-01.jpg
    wfb3-armoured-skeletons-01.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,191

Masterwork

Some great painting there! - This has inspired me to sort my Undead army out. Just a few more acquisitions to flesh it out (hehe!) and I can start painting. In the past I've tried to use the same painting scheme for bones but found they've never come out looking the same! So this time I want to do the whole army base coated in one go with the same bone colours to unify it. I think I'm going to go for a slightly more recently stripped of flesh theme (reddy pink and purple). Im also stripping my Tom Meier Zombie Dragon (last painted in 1989!).

Got any plans for skeletal war machines??

Protist

Really impressed with your corpses. Looking suitably dark and threatening, particularly the most recent skellies.

As with your dark elves (how are they coming along by the way?) the shield designs are sweet ;)

Subedai

Quendil":2u6iuymb said:
Love those mummies, just hope I can paint mine half as well
Thank you! My method was quite straight forward. Basecoat in Screaming Skull, watered down all-over wash with Seraphim Sepia, followed by Agrax Earthshade in some of the recesses. Then a light drybrush with Screaming Skull followed by a few spots of White Scar.

Subedai

Masterwork":2zcdpkn0 said:
Some great painting there! - This has inspired me to sort my Undead army out. Just a few more acquisitions to flesh it out (hehe!) and I can start painting. In the past I've tried to use the same painting scheme for bones but found they've never come out looking the same! So this time I want to do the whole army base coated in one go with the same bone colours to unify it. I think I'm going to go for a slightly more recently stripped of flesh theme (reddy pink and purple). Im also stripping my Tom Meier Zombie Dragon (last painted in 1989!).

Nice, looking forward to your horde! I have quite a mix of different shades of bone in my force too. I did a bit of additional highlighting on some of the older models to tie them together, but overall I am happy that they look slightly different. Since the clothes are nearly all black, this breaks the regiments up. My army's style is more dusty old bones - though I do have my zombie regiment coming up next. I've go a skeletal dragon from Grenadier, but that's a project I won't start anytime soon.

Subedai

Protist":nl9uzhto said:
Really impressed with your corpses. Looking suitably dark and threatening, particularly the most recent skellies.

As with your dark elves (how are they coming along by the way?) the shield designs are sweet ;)
Thanks, glad the intended style is working.

The Dark Elves are on a break at the moment - 3 more to go to finish the regiment of warriors, then 15 crossbowmen. It's a long way to go still.

Subedai

Masterwork":1c54me8c said:
I have the plague cart waiting as part of my 1.5k planned force. I already have the skull chucker, in its original state from the '90s (incl. hatchet soldering job).

wfb3_undead_skull_chucker_01.jpg

Subedai

bug16":38ujw8ov said:
Good painting as always! Love the mummies. :)
Thank you! My painting style for the Undead is a lot cleaner now, I am doing less heavy drybrushing and more highlighting.

Subedai

Naagruz":35hdphha said:
Mormo & the spectre are great!
Mormo always struck me as a necromancer as well & the colors you used are spot on.
Cheers! His aesthetic never really said Hobgoblin to me, it must be the wizard hat. As usual, no fancy colour scheme on him, but I spent some extra care on applying smooth highlights over a black undercoat and I like the bone as contrast colour.

Back