The sun will never set on the Slann Empire

Lovely job on that Coatl. :grin: Have to get me one of those some day. Your Bizaza are long sent, so you should get them this week as the postal systems settle down to normal again.

I have a mid sized decent haul of classic Slann minis left over from when I started back in 3rd Edition. The devil is getting them painted quickly when the mood takes you to paint frog people. Just waiting for the mood to take me so I can finish off that unit of Cavalry now. Thanks to some recent editions I should be able to muster 12 of the old 2 part ones - it may take me 3 years to finish painting them all though!

I don't plan to sculpt any cold ones at present although I do know a chap who is getting some Slann and at least one Cold One commissioned by a certain famous Oldhammer sculptor so we may end up with a nice option for some extra cavalry with a bit of luck this year. As there are many riding lizards available from various manufacturers I prefer to focus my sculpting efforts to the more niche things such as Slaves, Totem Warriors, Spawn Bands, Bull Slann etc. We will also have some nice Slann themed scenic items for you in the next Kickstarter.

Thanks Ketil Trout (hope to see some Greenskin updates soon!) and thanks Otto- the Frog warriors are assembled and ready to paint once the Alligator warriors are done. These are really amazing miniatures - and fit really well with the Slann - perfect for Bull Slann or Spawn Band or to bolster some of my depleted shock elite units. Really looking forward to see the new releases in this new year. That sounds exciting also with new Slann cavalry coming...i hope i dont miss this. Here a couple of photos of the Frogs - excited to paint these - the shields are great - as are the double handed weapons - (i kept one with the eagle head to put on the Eagle warrior standard and added a couple of miliput shields to allow extra single hand weapon option).

Attachments

• IMG_3861.JPG
    IMG_3861.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 2,597
  • IMG_3860.JPG
    IMG_3860.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 2,597
The Alligator Warriors join the Slann ranks, still need to make a standard bearer (need to buy some things from independent shop here to make the Alligator totem/fetish), then add 2 non alligator Slann to get the unit up to 15. Does anyone here know any German based 3rd edition players? Seeing all the great figures and posts on this forum make the Slann hungry for battle.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 2,561
  • IMG_3877.JPG
    IMG_3877.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 2,561
This is a great looking unit. I am really looking forward to the totem bearer. Sadly Berlin is a little far (I´m from Southern Germany), otherwise we could have made a game or two.

In Ireland my group is basically from the four corners of the Island. We have to travel to play but it's worth it. Meeting at conventions is a good way to get a game in with a like minded player.

Thanks for the complements about the Bizaza, I will pass them along to Doti also, who sculpted the weapons for those guys. :)

It's cool seeing them on classic 25mm squares, I designed them to rank up in unit formation like that on squares but I actually never based any of my own painted ones on them! :roll:

Now I am veering towards using hex bases as you get the benefit of them looking better in skirmish games and can still rank them up easily.

That purple skin with turquoise aligator skin armour combo is really nice!

Looking forward to seeing more progress on this army. :)

Thanks so much Jonas, this is the third year of painting Slann - encouragement highly apreciated! Hi Hooded Man, hope the Chaos are going well, looking forward to seeing more. I cant drive , so South Germany might be complicated to get to with box of Slann on the train. Someone here in Berlin has started to paint their Oldhammer Dwarf army - so hope by the end of the year to get some battles - maybe one day we can organize a small Oldhammer day in Germany. Otto - the first 4 Bizaza are painted (one is purple) and ranked up with 2nd and 3rd edtion Slann next to me now on the table...they are wonderful and a joy to paint! The fish club weapons are great. Just going to get the Human Slaves out the cupboard and add some war paint to them.

Pygmy Witch Doctor":3u9xmvpn said:
Thanks so much Jonas, this is the third year of painting Slann - encouragement highly apreciated! Hi Hooded Man, hope the Chaos are going well, looking forward to seeing more. I cant drive , so South Germany might be complicated to get to with box of Slann on the train. Someone here in Berlin has started to paint their Oldhammer Dwarf army - so hope by the end of the year to get some battles - maybe one day we can organize a small Oldhammer day in Germany. Otto - the first 4 Bizaza are painted (one is purple) and ranked up with 2nd and 3rd edtion Slann next to me now on the table...they are wonderful and a joy to paint! The fish club weapons are great. Just going to get the Human Slaves out the cupboard and add some war paint to them.

You will soon have the option of reinforcing those old models with some new sculpts that (I hope) will match in nicely style wise with the old Perry ones as I am sculpting human slaves at the moment. Nearly finished the first one (spear and shield) , should have some pics soon. ;)
I plan on sculpting enough of these guys to make a decent looking unit.

Niko

Very nice painting again. You have now a fantastic collection. If one day you come to France ( Paris) , give me a call and bring your army with you , or part of it :lol: and you will find three enthousiastic French players with Slanns ready to fight a civil war.

The new models are fantastic proxies for a Slann army. I don't start the painting of my own Slann yet, I have a Fimir army to finish first.

Niko":1e7o5nrt said:
Very nice painting again. You have now a fantastic collection. If one day you come to France ( Paris) , give me a call and bring your army with you , or part of it :lol: and you will find three enthousiastic French players with Slanns ready to fight a civil war.

The new models are fantastic proxies for a Slann army. I don't start the painting of my own Slann yet, I have a Fimir army to finish first.

Mec, you have Slann? Sweet, I will really be looking forward to seeing your painted Slann Nico. :grin:

Thanks Niko , hope to make it to France with the Slann, that would be great! and thanks Sean - really looking forward to see the Human Slaves and i saw the Bizaza scenery/totems wip - look amazing!. Sorry slow reply, was out of town then Slann break to work on Ral Partha Tribal Orcs and Halfling Skeletons but made a Dread Banner (with image of Human Slave as warning or reminder to those who rebel against the Slann) and painted the Slann slave handler plus another cold one rider (also painted the Slann Herald but not photographed). Just now painted a Pygmy on Cockatrice and started work on Pygmy War Turtle - (from Rafm miniatures with added Kalistra Pygmy). Soon back to painting Slann units- but need to acetone first.

Attachments

• IMG_3962 (1).JPG
    IMG_3962 (1).JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 2,515
  • IMG_3928.JPG
    IMG_3928.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 2,515
  • IMG_3930.JPG
    IMG_3930.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 2,515
The Slann have gifted the Pygmys some Beasts of War - in gratitude to their loyalty including their role in the recent victory over Ketil Trout's Orcs. (War Turtle still being worked on)

Attachments

• IMG_4068.JPG
    IMG_4068.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 2,515
  • IMG_4069.JPG
    IMG_4069.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 2,515
  • IMG_4070.JPG
    IMG_4070.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 2,515

Fimm McCool

RAFM war turtle? I had a few of those in my order from them last year and they were snapped up within a day of posting online.

Hi, yes RAFM War Turtle, i think they have them in stock again? The independent shop - Battlefield Berlin had them in stock (they might have more - if you like i can ask?), so i was really happy, i was planning to order one for some time

Just went back and reworked a small unit of Cold One Riders painted a year or so ago. Not yet satisfied - but at least the dreadful attempt at bone/skeletal warpaint now painted over. Should still tone down the white which really stands out in the photos, but it is more fun to paint a fresh Slann than trying to add highlights and washes to figures already painted. So ... will start a fresh unpainted Slann in the morning and leave these for now. Added Usuthu Blue Tongue in to the photos and a single Hero on Cold One while the camera was out.

Attachments

• IMG_4170.JPG
    IMG_4170.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 2,419
  • IMG_4166.JPG
    IMG_4166.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 2,419
  • IMG_4165.JPG
    IMG_4165.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 2,419
The unit looks gorgeous, nice totem :). It is really beautifully displayed between your jungle plants, too.
I would like to see the shields better some time.

This is a beautiful army across the board: The shields, the banners, the terrain, the chosen colours and the conversions. All great work. Go Cult of the Golden Toad!

Thanks Hooded Man! i struggle with the shields - i wanted them to look 'tribal' with patterns rather than too 'civilised' , from far in full units i like them, but close up, especially when i see the free hand shields on this forum they are really rough...thanks alot Karak - highly apreciated! Here is my ruined Slann Temple made about a week ago - will soon build a corridor (with wall painting depicting a Slann Cold Ones charge against Dark Elves - as i imagine the temple to be in North Lustria, in an area constantly attacked and lost to the Dark Elves, then reclaimed) , then build a larger ruined temple room - with a large Slann wall painting (but next time paint the walls before assembling) - plus a photo of three more Slann painted the last weeks in the temple.

Attachments

• IMG_4219.JPG
    IMG_4219.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 2,251
  • IMG_4200.JPG
    IMG_4200.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 2,251
  • IMG_4201.JPG
    IMG_4201.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 2,251
last night re worked the Slann Palanquin (painted 2 years ago - without acetone clean from childhood paint - regret that now) still need to add some detail and not sure about having painted red lobotomy scars around the slaves heads, also lightened the skin of my Lvl 25 Hero on Cold One plus brightened the feathers , Hooded Man - here you can see how rough the shield is painted...going to look now at all the great stuff posted on the forum the last days

Attachments

• IMG_4227.JPG
    IMG_4227.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 2,247
  • IMG_4224.JPG
    IMG_4224.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 2,247
  • IMG_4220.JPG
    IMG_4220.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 2,247
Back