9th Necromundan "Death Blades"

Make us dream with all your oldhammer stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

Mat

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:21 am

9th Necromundan "Death Blades"

So before there were Cadians and Catachanians and Mordians and Tallarns there was a boxed set for IG (RTB07).
On the front cover, and in White Dwarf and the Rogue Trader compendium were the Death Blades, a hive gang recruited into the 9th Necromundan.
Those were the colours that I adopted for my models back in the day.
Since then they have been painted two shades of green, and khaki and red as they changed from regiment to regiment.

But I'm rediscovering my old school roots again, so they are being re painted (again) back as the Death Blades.

My hobby time is limited, so there may be some slow updates.

So here is the first cab off the rank.

EDIT. Note that I deleted the old photo of the command squad from my photo bucket album for some reason. The image below is the squad after being repainted about a year later.
F Company Captain "Dirty Shank" Di'Anno and command section.
Di'Anno was a ruthless gang leader prior to his induction into the guard, and his natural leadership abilities and level head made him an obvious choice for a company commander. His reputation for ending blood feuds quickly ensured that no one challenged his authority as he took command of F Company. Unusually, Di'Anno wears the standard uniform for a captain, complete with officers hat. This is no doubt due to the recent attachment of fresh commissariat officers to the regiment after the deaths of the previous appointments.

I have chosen to model the whole command section with carapace breast plates, to ensure that they looked the part.
From left to right are medic/trooper, Di'Anno lascannon team and orderly.
The banner is from a dark elf set. It is still wip, and will be added to over time (but passes muster at this stage).
The lascannon was modified when these guys were traitors (4th or 5th edition) to make the barrel muzzle look more lascannony. The second model on the lascannon base is a rough rider lieutenant torso on a commanders legs.
Di'Anno has cadian arms, mainly so that I could paint the companly insignia on him somewhere. The medic has a catachan sword that I whittled down a bit. Las pistols are standard issue rtb07.

I plan to go back and add some more detail at a later stage, so things such as kill and unit markings and pennants will be present on the army.

I have tried to give them a pale flesh colour to reflect their hive origins. It also contrasts well with the dark palette that I went with.

I am basing this army on resin bases (from dragonforge http://dragonforge.com/Painting%20servi ... _earth.htm) to represent some sort of hive world ash plain or wasteland. I have painted the bases in a few shades of grey, with a final dry brush of under hive ash.
The grass is from the dead tuft kit from citadel.

I plan to do up around 2000 points worth of men, abhumans, mutants and support weapons. At this stage I'm planning for it to be all infantry, with the exception of some thudd guns, rapiers, a land speeder and a jet bike.

I hope you can see through my ordinary photo-taking ability to the models within.
Last edited by Mat on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ooh a blog...
Ragged They Kill

Chaos God of Nudehammer

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:34 am

Re: 9th Necromundan "Death Blades"

Rather tasty indeed, nice mix of new and old :D

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:06 am

Yeah mate, looking good!
R.I.P. Dave Brockie, AKA Oderus Urungus

My blog http://leadoralivebruno.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/enter-bruno.html

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:45 am

Looking good!
I love the Necromunda theme!

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:28 am

Looking good, that's how I painted my old RT IG army, back in the day.

Might revisit it at some point!

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:51 am

Very cool to see those old Imperial troopers, and the scheme is really good.
Hope to see more stuff soon, as there is too few 40k/RT goodness here ! ;)
Old and new minis, GW and non-GW, commission and personnal work, it's at http://studiocaillou.blogspot.fr/

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:31 pm

tancrede wrote: Hope to see more stuff soon, as there is too few 40k/RT goodness here ! ;)

Agreed! And there's definitely not an abundance of imperial army/guard around here either.

Like these a lot.

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:28 pm

Lovely stuff there, they will make for a great looking force. The commander really looks the part - you captured a nice competent German commander circa WWII feel with him. Banner looks great also.

I have done some similar work recently on a Necromundan force, The 1989th "The Death Ferrets" if you want to see some parallel evolution:

http://theottovonbismark.wordpress.com/2013/08/24/rogue-trader-imperial-guard-project-more-pictures-of-1989th/

I have sculpt and cast up Ogryn heads to match with the infantry which I would be happy to supply you with if you want.

What sort of pool of models do you have? What are you missing etc.

Mat

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:19 pm

Thanks guys. i will try to keep the pictures coming.
Hobby time is a bit hard to find at the moment.
theottovonbismark wrote:Lovely stuff there, they will make for a great looking force. The commander really looks the part - you captured a nice competent German commander circa WWII feel with him. Banner looks great also.

I have done some similar work recently on a Necromundan force, The 1989th "The Death Ferrets" if you want to see some parallel evolution:

http://theottovonbismark.wordpress.com/2013/08/24/rogue-trader-imperial-guard-project-more-pictures-of-1989th/

I have sculpt and cast up Ogryn heads to match with the infantry which I would be happy to supply you with if you want.

What sort of pool of models do you have? What are you missing etc.

Thanks Sean. I had discovered your blog before. It is inspiring.

Units that I have.
Command squad (already shown)
Lord Commissar (2nd ed I think)
Priest (2nd or 3rd edition)
Sanctioned Psyker (2nd edition)

6 Olley Ogryns (I will keep the heads as-is, but thanks for the generous offer).
6 ratlings (2nd edition)
6 psykers with a commissar overseer (rt)
One penal legion trooper who will be sly marbo
One tech priest enginseer (rt) with a spanking pair of leather boots and 4 servitors (2nd ed)

One platoon command squad with Lt, 2grenade launchers and 2 regulars (all rt)
Two infantry squads made from metal and plastic (rt)
Ten adeptus arbites to count as veterans with carapace and shotguns (2nd edition)
30 plastic beastmen (current range) led by a commissar (2nd edition valhallan officer conversion)

5 rough riders (rt)

3 thudd guns with 9 rtb07 crew
3 rapiers with 6 rtb07 crew
9 lascannon teams (including 1 in the company command section, 2 in the infantry squads and 6 in two heavy weapon squads)

A land speeder (rt)
A jetbike (rt)
An inquisiton in terminator armour (2nd edition?)
A couple of assassins (2nd edition ones, a vindicare and a polymorphine one)

I think that's pretty much it.

Models I need to get my hands on:
3 metal sergeants with breastplates and chainswords (like the lascannon guy above)
9 rtb07 or metal troopers for a veteran squad. I want to go to town with detail on these guys, gang symbols, unit markings, lasgun pennants, camo stripes, just like the guys in the foreground of the death blades painting.
An astropath.
A jetbike commander.
5 horses. Not sure what to do here. I would like something 40k looking, but would ideally like to stick to horses (rather than cold ones for example) if possible.
It would be nice to get the psyker squad up to 9 and the ratlings up to 10 but that's low priority really.

So plenty to paint, and a bit to source yet. Monies are a bit scarce so procurement is on hold at the moment.
Ooh a blog...
Ragged They Kill

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:25 pm

Thats a good looking Command Section. Bright without being gaudy, the sort of vague nod to realism that I enjoy in my sci-fi stuff.
Next

Return to Showroom