My Greenskins

dazza36

Ketil Trout":2lqq30ge said:
Thanks very much Dazza, you have some wonderful models and if I play any part in making you paint more I'm very happy about that, if they're green then even better.

Trust me you have and can't wait to get some paint on the models I've got and only hope I can them looking half as good as what you've done . On that point I'd love to know your skin recipe

Ketil Trout

Thanks Tex, this was the biggest thing I've painted by some margin and was quite daunting so I'm glad you like it.

dazza36 I'm using mainly Army Painter paints over a white undercoat, I really like their range of inks. For my orcs, I typically start with a Greenskin base coat, wash with Strong Tone ink then highlight up through Greenskin, Goblin Green followed by layers lightened with a combination of Goblin Green, Daemonic Yellow, Skeleton Bone and maybe even some Matt White, thinning these with Vallejo Glazing Medium. I tend to finish with a glaze of Green Tone ink and maybe repeat a few layers if I'm not satisfied. I do my goblins in similar way but start with Goblin Green as my base so the finished result is a bit lighter overall. Hope that helps.

Thanks again

Ketil Trout

Thanks Suber, had a good look through your blog and was delighted to see your HeroQuest project, where it all began for me and still a game I enjoy playing.

Next up is another model inspired by WD128, this time by the fantastic Nurgle war band by Ivan Bartleet on the back cover. The centrepiece of this excellent group is a huge scratch built war altar which encouraged me to have a go at one myself.

I have used the modern stonehorn kit for the beast of burden and largely scratch built the altar, adding some additional bits from the kit for detail, plus some orcs for crew.

Attachments

• war altar left side.jpeg
    war altar left side.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 3,098
  • war altar right side.jpeg
    war altar right side.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 3,098
  • war altar front.jpeg
    war altar front.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 3,098

Ketil Trout

Here are some additional views

Hope the modern stonehorn isn't too offensive, but I think the whole model is quite Oldhammer in spirit, at least to me

Attachments

• war altar rear.jpeg
    war altar rear.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 3,098
  • war altar detail.jpeg
    war altar detail.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 3,098

Gallivantes

That is very cool. I can only speak for myself but I certainly don't mind the newer models when they are presented like this. It is what it is, I think most of us feel a stronger affinity for the older ranges, that is true. But attempting to catch that spirit you speak of certainly helps a lot. So does a harmonious conversion job and a skilful, unifying paintjob on top. It's an alternative and one I can certainly enjoy in it's own right.

It strikes a chord with me, perhaps because I've always approached my hobby projects similarly. If all I had was a paperclip and a chewing gum I would still be fascinated with the idea of making something cool out of it. I can wish that there was an old lead stonehorn that somebody gave you to use, but there isn't, and they didn't. Instead I am glad that you decided to MacGyver a newer plastic one instead.

And some may disagree. I can relate to the puritan view, I have a puritan streak myself that runs quite strong. I don't mind, to each their own. And I really do respect people wanting to keep the Oldhammer forum rich in Oldhammer things, after all that's what it says on the tin. But I think there is so much of that around the forum that this doesn't upset the world order by a long shot.

And to look at the matter through another lens you used some cracking old models for the shaman and driver, then crafted them a sweet ride. It's also true that it's one piece in an army already brimming with old stuff. No quarrel from me, no sir. Boy that shaman ever was one of my favourites of my beloved old red catalogue of '91.

This is turning out to be one heck of an army Ketil.

Ketil Trout

Thanks for the continued support Gallivantes, its good to know someone here shares a similar point of view. Regarding the army, I reckon I've painted about a third of the current number, so plenty more to come. Some warmachines next in the queue.

I like this very much - especially the use of 'natural' materials - bones and wood...looking forward to see it live in Lustria/Berlin in October

Ketil Trout

Thank you daddyorchips and Witch Doctor, am very much looking forward to Berlin trip next month.

Have completed some new recruits

Attachments

• doom divers.jpeg
    doom divers.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 2,989
  • bolt thrower.jpeg
    bolt thrower.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 2,989
  • marauder rock lobber.jpeg
    marauder rock lobber.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 2,989

Ketil Trout

and a couple more

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• lead belcher.jpeg
    lead belcher.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 2,044
  • man mangler.jpeg
    man mangler.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 2,044

WARDUKE

Stunning work. I hope to one day be able to closely approximate this style for my own Orcs & Goblins.

My favorite unit is the goblins. Amazing.

Did you scratch build the gibbet? Do you have any additional pictures of that specific part of the unit? I love it.

Ketil Trout

Thanks Jeff and Warduke.

The gibbet in the goblin unit is a combination of a bit of scratch building and some scavenging of more recent GW bits. The tree is made of a twisted wire armature covered with a Pollyfilla and pva glue mix, to this I added the cage from the giant kit and added a Middlehammer plastic skeleton and the vulture from the stonehorn box

I added a little brass etched foliage to the trunk and some moss from MiniNatur.

Attachments

• gibbet detail.jpeg
    gibbet detail.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,972
  • gibbet construction.JPG
    gibbet construction.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,972

Ketil Trout

Thanks Warduke, glad to be of some help.

Next up some orc arrers

and a few shamans and some snotling helpers

Thanks again

Attachments

• shamans.jpeg
    shamans.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,867
  • Harboth's orc archers.jpeg
    Harboth's orc archers.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 1,865

Golgfag1

Looking good, keep this rate of production up and you'll be catching up the likes of Erny with the numbers of figures you have :shock: :o :shock:

Paul / Golgfag1

Gerner

Your bases are absolut lovely! Any reference or guides on how you attain them?

Painting is crisp as well, and I just got my hands on a lead belcher so looking forward to painting that up.

Ketil Trout

Thanks Paul, bit of a way to go to catch up with Erny, but always good to have something to aspire to. Production might slow next month as my army travels to Lustria (Berlin really) to make war with Pygmy Witch Doctor. As well as his frogs there will be many of his dark elves to battle too which, so far, he has not revealed here. Will be sure to document some fighting though, looks likely it’ll mainly be 4th ed, with maybe some 3rd too and and an escape from pygmy village skirmish that I’m being kept in the dark about. I think I’ll top out at around 6000pts of green invading forces.

Thanks Dazza, good to see your Ruglud’s coming on, they look great.

Gerner, thanks too. A few people have admired my basing, there is a quick guide on the second page of the thread. Additionally I have expeimented with starting the bases with a mix of sawdust bound with pva rather than sand on a few units for a rougher initial texture. Have used this technique on the old plastic warhammer regiment orcs and the orc archers too. I think in general I just use a wider variety of the usual basing components on than some, and maybe more of them than most. Hope that helps, let me know if more detail is required.

Back