Iron Claw Black Orcs

Orjetax

Years ago, the Olley-sculpted (naturally) Iron Claw black orc range came on my radar thanks to the excellent thread by Matthew Sullivan. Shortly after, Goblin Lee also showed a bunch of painted examples on his blog.

This is a truly wonderful and bizarre range. I set about slowly acquiring some at decent prices, despite the fact that I haven't played WFB in twenty years or so.

They then sat in lead mountain (of course). I've finally gotten around to painting them. Here are the first two:

3b7db67d2e111dfe6655b70d995c2112.jpg

6f14a8d7478c9d25569c3502fbf09e38.jpg

Caucasian-ish flesh tone? Large round bases? Heresy, right?

Yes, it is heresy. But I plan to use these guys in RT and 40k as primitive ogryns with my space orks. The unit will be led by my Megabot representing an ogryn mighty hero with cyborg armor (hooray for an all-Olley unit!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orjetax

A strange post-script:

It turns out that the model on the right (which is one of the later additions to this range) has what looks like genitalia sculpted on the model. At least, that's what I figure it must be given shape and placement. These are really only visible if you look at the model upside down.

Very unexpected.
Can't imagine what else this would be.

68b0984acdeb1e8d5e15c27ca54bf942.jpg

Orjetax

LilBroGrendel":2w41xwsh said:
They look great! How did you paint the helmet (no pun intended :grin:) on the guy to the left?

Hah!

Thank you.

I drybrushed on black, starting with a liquitex copper, Vallejo hammered copper, and then the old Citadel bright copper color. From the hexpot era.

Then I washed it with the contemporary Citadel oxide technical effect. I took several runs with this, using it straight from the pot (and then dry brushing back up when it didn't give me the effect I was looking for) and then watered down when I was a bit wiser. Great stuff, I recommend it.

Orjetax

Thanks for the kind words.

I've only finished one more! Oof! Haven't had much free time.

d4b24993d8395f8e141625e4d9db6403.jpg

95e25be86931b050d2d1fc8f0b0575cf.jpg

Subedai

Very nice work on these guys. Always interesting to see alternative takes on colours, and in these cases the brown skin done so well very much suits the models. Also, the look on the last guy's face is priceless.

Thanks for the helmet painting guide ;) I really like the skin color as well - it's as if there's a slight hint of purple in the darker areas.

Orjetax

LilBroGrendel":16wl804h said:
Thanks for the helmet painting guide ;) I really like the skin color as well - it's as if there's a slight hint of purple in the darker areas.

You're welcome.

Indeed, the skin got a watered down wash of leviathan purple.

Orjetax

My effort here reads a bit muddy, but it was time to call it done and move on to another.

3604ec1b0168611e376abbc29ef5719c.jpg

Orjetax

Thanks guys!

I’ve been playing some 40k 2nd edition, and I’ll be using these as ogryns led by an ogryn mighty hero with cybork body.

Who will be represented by the Bob Olley Megabot:

5962f86bd20a77e0fe0590eb4587dc22.jpg

Orjetax

carsjr":1yfndxf7 said:
I'd never much cared about those figs... until now. Amazing work on these!

I appreciate these comments, guys. You've inspired me to bump three more to the top of the painting queue.

carsjr, the Oldenhammer in Toronto blog also has some great examples (in a radically different style than mine), and the Goblin Lee blog also has some great examples (more similar to my approach, but with a more traditional choice for skin tone).

Back