Army of Men - using WFB 3rd Ed Bretonnians (Project Log)

Adam

Hi there

This has been a dream project of my for a while, since I started playing Warhammer back in 4th edition. These minis were the ones in the colour pages of the rulebook but by that point were no longer on the blister racks in the shops, not that I could have saved up enough pocket money. Now, 17 years later, I've got a job (though how long that'll last is anyone's guess) and a paypal account, so over the past couple of years I've been buying the toys I couldn't get when I was a kid.

These are my first unit but aren't quite finished as they've been put on the back burner until I've done my golden gobbos entry. I'm hoping to have finished a 1000 point force using the Bretonnian list in the Warhammer Armies book and the replacement page in White Dwarf 137.

If this bit of the forum isn't intended for WIPs or project logs please move/delete this thread

20120804_184250-1.jpg

Orlygg

Looking lovely there. I do like the original Bretonnian look, when they were fairly historical accurate medieval troops rather than mega helmed tin cans.

You make a good suggestion about project logs too. Come on Treps, we need a project log section devote to old school lead!

Blue in VT

Looking good to me...I too am working on a unit of the Bret archers from this time period...though I am incorporating them into my dwarf/empire army as backwoods foresters.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Blue

Adam

Cheers lads.

I remember being a bit disappointed when the 5th ed Brets came out and they'd ditched the cannon and crossbows and added the tournament style headdresses but there were still some cracking Perry sculpts in there but now the latest versions are so far removed from their gritty old look that I can't even think of them as Bretonnians.

The lucky thing for me is that the Perrys did a range for foundry that are exactly the same style (early hundred years war) so as the old minis go for more and more on ebay (saw a single, admittedly rarer, bretonnian brigand going for a tenner earlier today) I can supplement the stuff I've got with troops (and civilians!) from the same sculptors. The foundry range has loads of nice stuff in there like a tax collecter with thugs, looters, and an oxen drawn plough to add as terrain or stuff in scenarios. Thankfully I did manage to get most of what I need before everyone cottoned on to the selling each mini seperately approach.

After this small force is done I'm going to paint something 'more fantasy', possibly elves. I've got the fourse horse elf chariot somewhere at my mum and dad's house that I badgered my dad to get from GW mail order 17 years ago - right before the new wood elf book came out and they no longer had chariots. Will have to pick it up next time I go round.

Thantsants

Those are a bit nice - got a similar little force on the backburner. I'm going for a mixed Oldworlder mercenary type force, mainly because of the mix of Empire ad Bret minis I've managed to land off ebay.

treps

There are also some old perry sculpts that were originally in the citadel range that you may buy from Foundry, notably the MED3XX range ( http://wargamesfoundry.com/historical_r ... 2&page=all ) contains some of the same onse that were still in the red citadel catalog (this page and the 2 next ones at solegends).

The only downfall is that the foundry ones are not slotted and it may sometimes be hard to remove the base.

Bruno

Erny

Foundry had all the old citadel historicals. Shh half my Norse are really foundry ones but you'd be doing well to tell once they are based.

These late 3rd ed perry Bretonians are a great range and they work super for 100 years war too, er yeah sorry about that one Bruno.

treps

Erny":d9h0vzpr said:
These late 3rd ed perry Bretonians are a great range and they work super for 100 years war too, er yeah sorry about that one Bruno.

You know I'm from Burgundy, and, remember, the Burgundians did sell Joan of Arc to the Brits. ;)

Bruno

Erny

Ah I didn't know that, ultimately you guys lost just like us! We only remember the first 3/4 in this country always, forgetting the end.

Adam

I hate it when the goodies lose ;)

Hopefully the former citadel, now Foundry Norse will be one of the ranges re-released as part of this overhaul at Foundry. I've found a use for some of their Hundred Years War looters- been after two medieval figures carrying something as a pair for a while to use as a War Altar like in the Warhammer Armies book. The are the same sculptors and style, perfect.

Thantsant and Blue, make sure you post pictures of them on here when you get round to painting them.

Thantsants

Well the nucleus of my little warband can be seen in the form of the Linden Way militia in my Orc's Drift thread - can't wait to get stuck into the Lords of battle though...

They'll also have some Dwarf allies in the form of crossbows, artillery and sappers and a small unit of Gnomes who I can't think what else to do with!

Adam

I'll check them all out when I get home. There's a block on photos hosted on some image sites on these damned work computers so I'm just getting. I look forward to seeing the dwarves too :)

Edit: just noticed theseon Miniature Heroes. Might be useful to people using non-slotta based figures like treps mentioned.

Back