The Cult Of The Chitinous Deliverance - RT Genestealer Cult

So, being a year or so behind the game when it comes to Genestealer Cults, I finally managed to get the majority of the figures I've been hoarding for about a decade painted. In order to be contrary for the sheer hell of it, I managed to make them all without using any of the new Cultist plastics, even though they're actually very good indeed.

So, now I present to you, the Cult Of The Chitinous Deliverance, Port Imperiale's Premier 'Alternative Religion'.

fullsizeoutput_8c4.jpg

To start with, here's the Leaders of the Cult, The Patriarch and his two Magi Assistants:

IMG_4434.jpg

The female Magus on the right was part of a limited edition sculpting project I helped fund a few years ago, and is a lovely counterpart to the original Magus on the left. I've added a familiar to him to echo and mirror the newer model. The Patriarch is the original Bob Olley one and is, in my opinion, probably the single best sculpt he's done, it just oozes character and smug evilness. I'm not the biggest fan of Bob's sculpting (occasionally outspokenly so!) but strangely, his peculiar style really suits Genestealers and hybrids.

Next up is a conversion of Inquisitor Karamazov's Judgement Throne model, also known as 'The Judgement Trousers'.

IMG_4426.jpg

fullsizeoutput_8cd.jpg

fullsizeoutput_8ce.jpg

Effectively it's a dreadnought proxy, with a hybrid at the controls and two familiars operating the guns. The Low Gothic script on the front appropriately reads 'The End Is Nigh'.

Next up is a squad of Third Generation Hybrids. These are all Citadel sculpts again, mainly with Victoria Miniatures arms. These are my standard go-to company for arms to fit to old Citadel modular figures. They take a bit of cutting and modifying, but I love the style of Lasgun they're armed with, as I think it fits in quite well with the Rogue Trader aesthetic I aim for. I also use them as I just hate the clunky plastic arms that originally came with Citadel models or this era.

IMG_4439.jpg

And, to back them up, a squad of Brood Brothers, led by a Fourth Generation Hybrid. These are the original Plastic Imperial Guard bodies, teamed up with more of Vic's arms. The heads again came from the sculpting project, and are lovely, just a shame they were a limited edition, I'd love to do an army of them.

IMG_4432.jpg

And here's where it gets a bit weird and non-Canon. Here's an infected Mechanicus, who has gone rogue and joined the Cult. The guys in the background are what happens when an Inquisitorial Investigation team gets caught by the Cult...

fullsizeoutput_8ca.jpg

Meet 'The Troopers'. Tortured, mutated and genetically experimented on until they're driven insane with pain and Genestealer DNA, the Troopers are just as dangerous as Purestrain 'Stealers.

fullsizeoutput_8cb.jpg

And, alongside a running Patriarch (to represent him when he's not on his throne) are a Mechanicus 'improved' Purestrain, along with a Hybrid Servitor. I've got a few more of these to paint up, eventually they'll represent a faction in their own right.

IMG_4448.jpg

And finally, no Cult is complete without it's Transport. Firstly here's the Patriarch in his Limo, along with his driver and associate.

IMG_4441.jpg

IMG_4427.jpg

Finally, here's the transport for the lesser members of the Cult. It's based on a cheap 1:43 diecast model of a Russian Sil-101A limo with some minor modifications.

IMG_4428.jpg

So, there you have it, the majority of my Genestealer Cult. I've got some more Purestrains to paint up, and a few more characters and special bits to do, which i'll show when they're finished.

Orjetax

Re: The Cult Of The Chitinous Deliverance - RT Genestealer C

Wonderful.

There's much impressive work here. To pick a small detail that jumps out, I think you've done a perfect job on the face of the hybrid driving the 'The Judgment Trousers.'

A well-conceived project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inchmurrin

Great work. Wonderful attention to detail, and proper limos. I'm impressed that you achieved this without succumbing to the temptation of the plastic stealers. The Brood brothers are perhaps my favourites. Encourages me to get working on my hyborks.

Chico

The Judgement Trousers wins hands down or should that be pants down ;) :)

Suber

These are impressive from the beginning to the end. A gorgeous army, perfectly unified in colour and aesthetics. Multiple applause (with four hands, of course!)

Suber":1occq7qm said:
These are impressive from the beginning to the end. A gorgeous army, perfectly unified in colour and aesthetics. Multiple applause (with four hands, of course!)

Oh, so you're a purestrain and not a hybrid, are you? :lol:

Cheers everyone! These all got painted in the space of a week, apart from 2 models that got done a few years back. I'm not the biggest fan of Bob's sculpting style, but it totally suits Hybrids, and they were a joy to paint.

Orjetax

dieselmonkey":211581mi said:
Suber":211581mi said:

Oh, so you're a purestrain and not a hybrid, are you? :lol:

Cheers everyone! These all got painted in the space of a week, apart from 2 models that got done a few years back. I'm not the biggest fan of Bob's sculpting style, but it totally suits Hybrids, and they were a joy to paint.

I am awestruck by the quality and quantity of painting you achieved in such a short span.

What was your method for blue skin and for pallid skin?
I'm always interested in learning techniques that are fast and get such a nice result.

Orjetax":3c8sltw9 said:
I'm always interested in learning techniques that are fast and get such a nice result.

Basically, the entire army was airbrush sprayed in a very dark purple, which was the base for everything.

The 'Stealers and Patriarch were then drybrushed with hormagaunt purple, then purple ink and just re-highlight in Hormagaunt, then fine detail with Foundry 'Night Sky' 62B' and Night Sky' Light 62C.

The hybrids were the same base and 62B/C drybrush, then a GW 'rotting flesh' final light drybrush and a black wash over that to dull it down.

The brood brothers skin was drybrushed over the purple base with cadian fleshtone, then I drybrushed rotting flesh over that. I then did a brown wash on all the skin, and picked out facial highlights in rotting flesh again.

It was really quick and easy to do. I rarely custom mix paint colours as I'm completely colour blind so can rarely if ever match it again, so effectively I 'paint by numbers' and write everything down so I can replicate it again at a later date if needed.

MagpieJono

dieselmonkey":36thsb6q said:
I rarely custom mix paint colours as I'm completely colour blind so can rarely if ever match it again, so effectively I 'paint by numbers' and write everything down so I can replicate it again at a later date if needed.

This is exactly the same for me. Stupid eyes.

dieselmonkey":123u3rw5 said:
Orjetax":123u3rw5 said:

Basically, the entire army was airbrush sprayed in a very dark purple, which was the base for everything.

The 'Stealers and Patriarch were then drybrushed with hormagaunt purple, then purple ink and just re-highlight in Hormagaunt, then fine detail with Foundry 'Night Sky' 62B' and Night Sky' Light 62C.

The hybrids were the same base and 62B/C drybrush, then a GW 'rotting flesh' final light drybrush and a black wash over that to dull it down.

The brood brothers skin was drybrushed over the purple base with cadian fleshtone, then I drybrushed rotting flesh over that. I then did a brown wash on all the skin, and picked out facial highlights in rotting flesh again.

It was really quick and easy to do. I rarely custom mix paint colours as I'm completely colour blind so can rarely if ever match it again, so effectively I 'paint by numbers' and write everything down so I can replicate it again at a later date if needed.
Please forgive my ignorance, but if your colour blind, why don't you just paint them the one colour all the time? I'm genuinely interested to know why you'd paint something different colours if you can't tell the difference.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Mr Papafakis":3dsyuwy8 said:
Please forgive my ignorance, but if your colour blind, why don't you just paint them the one colour all the time? I'm genuinely interested to know why you'd paint something different colours if you can't tell the difference.

The best example I can give is just to watch a black and white film. You can still tell tonal differences and what colour things are 'meant' to be. I know blue looks different to green, for example, but if you gave me ten shades of each, I'd struggle to differentiate between ones that were tonally similar.

As far as it goes, I *could* just paint everything grey, but then people would just ask me 'why?' :lol:

*edit* - I'm in no way comparing myself to him or his talent but also consider why Beethoven continued to compos music after he went deaf. He could have had other people sit in silence, but he still wanted to produce music for them. I just like my crappy models to look 'real' for want of a better word, when other people look at them.

Gotcha Diesel, thanks for explaining your viewpoint, makes sense :)

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

symphonicpoet

I've said this elsewhere, but I'll say it again: That cult is the bomb. Well done! Need to get mine some ground transport and maybe expand it a little more. :)

*applause*

that is a lovely looking cult. the face of the limo driver really made me :grin:

Back