1989 Genestealer Hybrids

Well a change is as good as a rest so they say... And to make a break from my usual fayre of power armour and other assorted Imperial forces I decided to return to an older ongoing project and churn out some hybrids for my retro Genestealer cult force.

blogger-image-1274785634.jpg

These bad boys are the original plastic hybrids from the Genestealer expansion to Space Hulk that was released in 1989. They are fairly simplistic and monopose as it goes ... In fact at the time I didn't really like them, but recently they have grown on me and I have churned out a fair few to reinforce my growing xenos hordes.

blogger-image-464646231.jpg

These make a nice change from my usual stuff and I'll probably look to paint up a few more in the near future.

There's a load more photos and details on my blog at:
https://classicastartes.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/1989-genestealer-cult-hybrids-rogue.html

I've got a load of these but I've never touched them as they really do look fugly unpainted. :lol:

Having said that, I might reconsider now as you've really brought them out, they look great.

You should diesel. They are a nice change to paint.... that being said if you were looking to part with them I could offer you a reasonable price;)

Legiocustodes":y0qrro4m said:
You should diesel. They are a nice change to paint.... that being said if you were looking to part with them I could offer you a reasonable price;)

Heh, I'm an inveterate hoarder, I don't sell anything I might possibly use one day! ;)

symphonicpoet

I like what you've done with them. I've painted one and it was murder deciding what was armor and what was bug. I may reconsider my decisions in light of what you've done. Might have to repaint. :grin: Very nicely done on some models that are really hard to love . . . but apparently reward the effort. Of course . . . I only have the one so it will be hard to mass them up like that. :(

Cheers mate! I was initially in the same boat regards armour and chitin, in the end I just looked at the old 'eavy metal pics and thought 'sod it...blue all over!'

there is one ork hybrid that is a very nice mini. these plastic ones aren't fabulous but i think they're a lot better than people give them credit for. they're a pleasure to paint, but hard to do as well as they've been done here. great work, and make me want to go and have another go at them myself.

inchmurrin

Not only was there a single Orc hybrid - much sought after - but these hybrids were used as part of of a Hybork freebooter mob modelling guide in WD 135 along with Dale Hurst's Tzeentch warband and some flash gits. Perhaps I'll get around to mine and my new Theottovonbismark Hyborks later this year.

symphonicpoet

Now here's a novel, if obviously Tolkien inspired thought: what if orks ARE eldar genestealer hybrids? (Obviously something went wrong, but maybe only slightly wrong.) And that's why orks will allow hybrids into their ranks? Gives you a different take on who Gorka and Morka might be. Hmm . . .

Well done, even if I don`t know what GW wanted to tell us with this head designs. It`s a mystery to me how this creatures could be a stage between a human and a Purestrain (I think that is what they are supposed to be?).
Nevertheless I like them, too, and I think the paint job is even more awesome because this models lack the sharp details of contemporary plastic miniatures.
Are you going to paint some of the genestealer lead miniatures as well?

Back