Not Quite Oldhammer, but not really "Warhammer (tm)"

RogueWally

Greetings,

I am Wally, and I am an avid fan of earlier war hammer and the "Renaissance Punk" movement. Here are some photographs from two years ago back when I was trying to channel the 3rd edition mojo in an attempt to emulate a colleagues work (Padre) over at Warhammer Empire.

Merchant2.jpg

SwordandScribe2.jpg

Ambush2.jpg

WorldOfWarhammer.jpg

MapTurnZero.jpg

Ambush.jpg

ArguingWithOgres.jpg

BoarderPatrol.jpg

Contract.jpg

Help.jpg

KnightsoftheBlazingSun.jpg

Ogresforhire.jpg

HowTo.jpg

Thantsants

Great stuff - particularly like the Knights of the Blazing Sun and the Ogres.

Looks like a great game - was it part of a campaign with the map?

RogueWally

Yea - After getting a hold of the new mighty empires kit we switched over to using the hexes.... but the online maps have a great deal of character. I thought setting up a card table with the modeled hexes and some props (skulls and candle sticks for example) would be a nice way to switch it up but once the table is gone and the hexes are broken up... its gone forever.

Campaign Map for a 40K Campaign w/ some heavy RT influences.
Mark2.jpg

Copyy3.jpg

Campaign Map for Warmachine "Campaign in a Day"
Blank_City_Map_Sulindal_by_ThedasScholar-1.jpg

6765679312.jpg

Big fan of Uncharted Seas.
TheMightyFleet.jpg

Oddly enough a pic of some 28mm Weapons and Warriors boats with a campaign map in the background.
IMG_2213.jpg

I guess this thread will more or less serve as an introduction to who I am or what I am trying to do here.

My name is Wally, and I think this is the right forum for me. I own a little bit of vintage lead and used to hunt for it frequently on e-bay but ultimately gave up when I found the sniping was too "hot". I own a fair amount of vintage literature but am more of an 8th edition kinda guy because frankly, that's where the opponents are and its best to use a system that everyone is familiar with. I am a hater of the newer army books and tournament scene because I find it does injustice to the flavor of miniature war-gaming and ultimately that fantastic 90's/80's vibe that means so much to me.

I consider myself a fan of "Renaissance Punk", that John Blanche 80's look and the "funk" associated with gaming products of the era. I am also a big fan of the WFRP and although I lack folks willing to play I try to incorporate its ideas and background into my gaming. Hopefully I can use this forum and the gallery section to explore some of the themes that I enjoy and with an audience of the willing.

I am also an avid board gamer and frequently attend various historical events (American SCA and Revolutionary War). I live just down the road from where the "shot heard around the world" was fired.

I use more modern models, so I will try to hide in this portion of the forum. Ultimately I will be working on detailing fluffy articles for my own corners of the warhammer world and exploring other concepts.

So yea, that's me.

Thantsants

Great to have you - those are some lovely pics.

I've got a copy of the old Mighty Empires and Man O War and would ultimately like to do something similar - didn't know there were online maps though. Might have to check out some of the Uncharted Seas ships for some variety.

I like the sound of the card table - photographs would be a good way of creating "real" maps once the pieces had been cleared away.

Wouldn't worry too much about the newer models - might not be to some folks' tastes but we've already seen them put to good Oldhammery use elsewhere on the forum :)

treps

RogueWally":2i98xncx said:
I use more modern models, so I will try to hide in this portion of the forum. Ultimately I will be working on detailing fluffy articles for my own corners of the warhammer world and exploring other concepts.
No problems for me neither !

Oldhammer has more to do with the spirit of the game and the way to play than the miniatures used !

Bruno

Just John

Don't worry RogueWally - I fully intend on using a mix of old and new models of different manufacturers when I begin building up armies to fight my Orcs & Goblins. I think the appeal of the Oldhammer ethos is partly the release from 'Having' to use particular models and just getting on with gaming in the right spirit.

RogueWally

Wally's Rule - If you play with me... we use painted armies.

True Story
Once upon a time I realized that I would never be a Golden Daemon class painter... In my misery upon this revelation I went to the local game night and chilled with some fiends to ease the mystery. Upon picking up an old white dwarf and looking at an old rogue trader game depicted upon the back cover... I quickly realized the nature of the problem.

Its more fun to play with painted armies on a finished table then gorgeous but half painted armies on green chipboard. In-fact; presentation, imagination and sportsmanship where the core of the hobby...

If my paint jobs where satisfactory for John Blanche or the late 80's... then they where good enough for me. The next weeks where a frenzy of activity as I finished two armies painted a gorgeous set of terrain and never looked back.

Sometimes gamers need help. I enjoy their company and they are fine individuals but they just cant seem to paint worth shit. They lament over their "sub standard minis" and often think about quiting the hobby.

The solution you ask?

Simple. Army in a Day!

From a few months ago, friend had a vampire counts army. Painted in 7 hours.
IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

From today, just finished a nurgle army painted over 2 days.
get-attachmentaspx-1.jpg

PlagueToads.jpg

Its a little painful but it allows someone to get a great looking army on the table for our narrative campaigns quickly and up to club standards. The result is we are developing a great group of guys.

Another fun side effect is my basing has become the "club standard." Its really crazy to see four armies on the table all based the same way.

Thantsants

How far are you from York... ? ;)

Great idea - mind you having said that I think I'd end up wanting to paint all my minis myself because, despite it being a bind sometimes, that's what I enjoy.

Must be nice setting the club standard though :mrgreen:

Phreedh has pointed me towards megaminis before and as shallow as it sounds - the pj's have always put me off a bit. When I need a load of cheap villagers I'll definitely be giving them a visit though.

RogueWally just stumbled on this post. Really like what you have going on, can't wait to see more. I also agree that it doesn't matter what era or manufacturer of miniatures, they can always be painted and used in an Oldhammer fashion. Its always been for me how the miniatures is used not where it is from. Looking forward to pics of the campaign card table.

8bitMummies

Those ogres look great! I'm digging that Nurgle army. Any chance of some closer shots?

Looking forward to seeing more in this thread. I'm in the same boat- I've had zero luck rounding up anyone for 3rd edition games (yet!) so I'm trying to focus on getting a tight group involved in an epic, story-driven campaign. Wish I were closer to MA...:lol:

I'm using predominantly new minis as well. Collecting the old stuff is brutal!

RogueWally

8 Bit Mummy, you have struck a chord close to my heart. I feel there is somthing here that Orlygg has taped into that I feel is closer to the heart of the experience and the spirit of miniature wargaming. Entirely worth emulating and only a step removed from some funny concepts I hold very dear.

I do have some very vintage sculpts... but alas not enough to re-create these games. Im not old enough anyways... I am a child of the very late 80's/90's. A NES kinda guy.

Collecting the old stuff has no value if you do not have the "Mojo" to make these miniatures dance.

I am going on a really crazy trip in 4 months where I will not have an opertunity to contribute material to this forum for about a year. So I plan to do a little project before I go away, inspired by Orlygg's latest battle report.

Back