Rogue Trader Dreadnought vs Modern Dreadnought

As a slight variation on my assassin project I decided to paint two dreadnoughts this week, one is a modern dreadnought from the Assault on Black Reach Boxset whist the other is a classic Rogue Trader model that was released way back in 1988 (29 years ago!)

I had actually basecoated both of these models some years ago but then abandoned them as other projects fought their way onto my paint station; So this gave me the opportunity to finally finish these miniatures off!

blogger-image--1136464696.jpg

I painted the 1989 dreadnought to fit in with my classic Salamanders army of Rogue Trader era marines and used a painting style that was consistent with the predominant techniques of that period. As such it is a nice clean paint job with bright colours and freehand symbology.

blogger-image--1725375944.jpg

Meanwhile I painted the modern dreadnought to join my ever-growing force of contemporary Crimson Fists. I used a more current painting style for this model and went for a grittier more weathered look to the mini. I wanted to give the impression of a war machine that has been on campaign for some time.

blogger-image-182601836.jpg

Overall these models are very different beasts, but they were both great fun to paint and the differing styles meant I never ended up getting bored during my paint sessions. I'm looking forward to getting them both on the battlefield to face off against each other soon.

I have included a lot more photos and a more in depth article on my blog at: https://classicastartes.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/rogue-trader-dreadnought-vs-modern.html

Great paint jobs! Old RT wins hands down in the kick arse department though IMHO :)

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Gallivantes

I just can't decide. I mean the old one does rule in terms of old school quirky cool, but the design of the latter always appealed to me a lot. It's a tie for me :)

Hey Legio you said on the blog "god knows what the weapon is" (of the old one). My '91 catalog says it's a las-cannon in case you were curious.

I'm torn too ... the old one does look like a piece of awesome 80s retro; but the modern one actually looks like a boxy war machine is death!

A lascannons eh? Cheers for that... the joy of 80s sculpts... everyweapon is sufficiently generic it can be used to represent anything you want!!

symphonicpoet

Is the new one one of the plastic ones? It seems even larger than the 2nd edition dreadnought it's based one.

I favor the old one, but even RT era citadel seemed overly bulky and exaggerated to me at the time. The new stuff . . . oh my lord has the scale crept. The old one has a more sci-fi feel, albeit a gritty, middling tech, Mad Max grade sci-fi. (The original, not the later ones.) The new one feels so low-tech it seems more steam-punk than sci-fi. (Which makes sense seeing as the world went all steamy and Victorian goth in the 90s.)

So my vote is old school. But then . . . It's where I'm from, so there's no shock there. In any case, both look spot on fantastic.

I agree with your take on the Dreads Composer. They RT looks like it'd struggle to walk (let alone run!) very well, but the newer version looks like it'd be impossible for any form of locomotion.

For me, sci-fi/fantasy has to be rooted in some form of realism. A physical form has to look like it could feasibly "work" or the suspension of disbelief just breaks completely.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Yeah the modern one is plastic; it's actually the marginally smaller clip together one that was included with Assault in Black Reach. If you google the into animation for the original Dawn of War computer game (2004) you can see the modern dread in action and it does seem to function. However the RT one just looks like to would fall over and be unable to get up again unless it was walking on perfectly flat terrain!

Berkut666

Incoming Heresy - I prefer the 2nd edition. Only because I feel it fits better with the notion that these things are nigh unstoppable by ground troops. It looks the part.

Berkut, I tend to agree. The original looks like a big suit of armour whereas the newer variant (that has remained essentially unchanged since second edition) does look like a grim-dark warmachine!

Blue in VT

Both great paint jobs...but style wise the walking shoebox is just silly....the RT is wicked cool. Imo

Cheers,

Blue

Suber

Both or them are lovely each in their own style, not sure if any real comparison would be fair.
For me, the bulk of the 2nd Ed one is unsurpassable. The newer models with the tiny head bulging out look ridiculous to me, and I'm not even talking about the contemptor models, wich made me feel... well, contempt :razz:.
Anyway, real beauties you got there!

I think you're right Suber. It is actually pretty hard to draw comparisons between the two of them! Yeah; as I started playing predominantly in second edition it will always be that version that it s the 'real' dread for me!

Back