My Empire Army update 23.04.17

Anonymous

Strictly speaking I know it's more Middlehammer than Oldhammer, but hey ho, there was no Empire until '92

WP_20170318_15_24_12_Pro%2B%25282%2529.png

Some thoughts about the army and BOYL on the blog https://putpainton.blogspot.co.uk/

Cheers

Snickit

Re: My Empire Army

Steve63":3erygmo3 said:
there was no Empire until '92

I assume you mean as in "Football didn't exist before the Premier League/Premiership?"

It's a gorgeous army.

Not all mini's need to be Oldhammer (or even GW), just your mind set :grin:

Anonymous

Thank you for the compliment
Snickit":333ba5lj said:
I assume you mean as in "Football didn't exist before the Premier League/Premiership?"

Sorry but no, there really was no Empire proper until '92.
The first 3 Citadel Miniatures I bought around 1980 when they were packaged individually in blister packs mounted on blue card and priced at 30 or 40p each from Joseph's in Sunderland were 2 Fighters and a Thief. One of the fighters was a 6th century Viking type barbarian with a horned helmet, fur cloak and an axe and round shield, the other was a 12th or 13th century foot knight in surcoat and mail with a mace and heater shield, with a bit of a chaos warrior vibe going on, but of course there were no chaos warriors back then. The thief wore a doublet and hose and wouldn't have looked out of place in the early 17th century. And that was about it as far as humans went, an anachronistic mix of fighters, adventurers, rogues and militia depicting every historical archetype from the 4th to the 17th century.
Now I don't claim to be the font of all knowledge and I'll quite happily defer to those more knowledgeable than me, but as I remember it. There was no "Fluff" as we know it, apart from the odd character biography or unit history until 1991. In 1991 St Nigel of Stillman wrote Warhammer Armies and gave us the Empire that we all know and love, then in 1992 we got the miniatures in proper units with proper flag wavers, leaders and musicians.
I don't want to be to get anal about this but before '91 there was the odd mention of the The Old World, Lustria, Carthy, Araby et al, but nothing tangible and certainly nothing available that allowed players to build what would now be recognisable human armies. I suppose that 1991 is the end of Oldhammer and the beginning of Middlehammer, but fear not although my toys may be Middle I'm definitely Old.
Once again thanks
Cheers

Snickit

My personal take is that the Empire was developed into what we know today at the end of 3rd and beginning of 4th but the Empire certainly existed. It was more War of the Roses than the Renaisance we think of it as being now but it was definitely there. I'll agree humans were a lot more generic but is that not more realistic? Whilst the Emoire develops time would not totally stand still in Bretonnia, yes, maybe fashions would be a little older and also beliefs of warfare but to say there were not models for them I do not believe to be true.

Certainly if you refer back to Warhammer Roleplay the background and period setting we defiantly there, if anything then these go into the cities of the E,pure and thus giving an insight into the land itself, in even more detail.

The miniatures simply received a massive overhaul at the end of 3rd and beginning of 4th as they hadn't been revisited in a while, same the High Elf range come early 4th (although Mike McVey hints at the range in his 3rd edition Wood Elf army articles in White Dwarf where he mentions a new line of High Elves designed by Jes Goodwin to maybe paint an ally contingent of).

In an Obiwan stylee I think it depends upon points of view.

Anonymous

As I said I'll happily defer to those more knowledgeable than me. I was never really into the fluff, preferring to paint rather than research fluff or build killer armies and back then like now, I never got that many games in away. :!:

Gallivantes

That's a fine looking army you got there Steve63.

One thing I always liked about the Empire were the cavalry orders. I remember those Winged Lancers fondly from early 90s 'Eavy Metal, alongside the Knights of the White Wolf. Will you be painting more horses?

Anonymous

Hi Gallivante
Yep, a lot more cavalry in the works
Cheers

Steve63":3u1abtct said:
Sorry but no, there really was no Empire proper until '92.

There was; see Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay from 1986 and especially the Warhammer Armies book from 1988. It just slightly changed its overall aesthetic in '92.

Anyway, nice work! I'm working on an Empire Army myself just now. So far I have a Wizard, a Captain, and a General is in the works. Three models out of sixty. I've a long way to go...

Orjetax

Looks great. I like a good full army shoot.

And I would say no need to be apologetic about a Middlehammer aspect. We ought not be too dogmatic about our toy soldiers. . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back