Advanced Heroquest

Plip

Hi All,

Having mostly used the forum to lurk and sell things I thought that there might be some interest in a project I’ve been working on the last year or so (yes; progress is very slow!): painting up some old stuff for Advanced Heroquest. Yes I am finally contributing something to the community!

Advanced Heroquest was one of the first GW games I encountered. My older brother brought it back from Newcastle GW one day after a sale. The sentiments in this article (https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/pauls-most-important-gaming-memory/) on SU&SD really nicely matches my own nostalgic feelings about the game; like the author I spent many hours playing solo, re-writing the rules and combining the set with any other minis I could get my hands on. Being about ten at the time needless to say my pocket money didn’t stretch very far. Unlike the author I don’t think I ever had an illicit day off school to play it!

In the last few years I’ve spent a fair few quid on eBay getting some nice old lead, the kind of stuff I spent many hours poring over in catalogues when I was younger. Recently I also got hold of a copy of AHQ for a decent price and decided it was the perfect motivation I needed to put together a painted group of lovely old Warhammer miniatures! Rather than go with the traditional Skaven I wanted some greenskins (I’ve had them a bit longer than the Skaven, so seems only fair that they get to be painted first), so I worked out what I’d need to complete the Orcs & Goblins Monster Matrix* which appears in the Terror in the Dark expansion. I find having a limited list to paint up better for motivation than just a big pile of everything; and it seems like I only need to finish 23 figures to complete the minimum requirement.

* The Monster Matrix is a random generator used by AHQ to choose what’s lurking behind doors or corners. There’s a number of different ones you can use to theme your dungeons and avoid them becoming a mixed soup of fantasy creatures.

On to the minis!

I started with a couple of plastics from the Fantasy Regiments set to get the colours. I’d never painted the Fantasy Regiments minis before and I was pleasantly surprised at their detail. I’ve also spent a while trying to get the bases to match the distinctive yellow-brown boards of the set! Zamesi Desert seems quite a good match!

1033864-.jpg

I’ve picked a range of metals (and some plastics) from different eras for the project. Here's the older greenskins.

1033866-.jpg

I am really enjoying trying out some freehand shields. I remember following the Mike McVey guide in one of the painting booklets as a kid and getting crap results- hooray for patience and experience!

1033865-.jpg

Slightly newer Kev Adams classics. These chaps are more from ‘my era’ so they’re very dear to me. The goblin in the middle was actually painted a few years back so he’s not quite up to the standard of the other ladz.

1033868-.jpg

Snotling. These guys don’t have rules in AHQ, but I can’t resist doing a few. I may knock together some house rules for them or play them as ‘counts as’ Giant Rats.

1033870-.jpg

At the other end of the scale- River Troll! I spent a while on this big guy. He was fun to do and I'm very pleased with him. Messed about adding a snail and a few puddles of slimy water to the base. One of the big draws with the Greenskin Matrix is that it’s got a couple of Ogres in it too which I am really looking forward to tackling.

1033867-.jpg

1033869-.jpg

I’m also planning four heroes for the orcs and gobbos to knock about, maybe with some metal men-at-arms* too. Here’s one of Bugman’s lads for the Dwarf hero and one of Scarloc’s fellers for the Elf. And a plastic AHQ Man-at-arms who needs a logo for his shield.

1033871-.jpg

*In Advanced Heroquest your heroes can hire men-at-arms to venture into the dungeons with them and invariably die.

I also did these doors last week and really enjoyed painting them! The texture of the wood is really rewarding to paint.

1033873-.jpg

Hope to post more soon!

Plip

Thanks all :)

Couldn't get them all out to photograph without setting up al little scene, could I?

1033872-.jpg

Galpino

Very nicely painted. Rarely do I like a bright green orc or goblin, but yours are really good. They look really clean, like they've just been scrubbed! I have the same troll. But with a different head. I'm borrowing your version for inspiration, it's the best I've seen.

Juxt

Really nicely painted, especially the night goblin, love seeing those in something other than black.

Plip

Thanks all!

Galpino":2w3ajcum said:
Rarely do I like a bright green orc or goblin, but yours are really good. They look really clean, like they've just been scrubbed!

This is some really interesting feedback which I hadn't really considered and it's given me some inspiration to try and make some of the next ones a bit more grubby!

But for now here's another freshly laundered orc- a champion to give da Boyz a bit of direction in life, hopefully. This guy was part of the crew for the rock lobber which I used to own when I was a kid.

1033875_mb-.jpg

Closeup of his fun freehand shield.

1033874_mb-.jpg

Cheers!

Plip

A new hero- Amethyst Wizard.

He's an old Citadel wizard I think, though having said that I have just spent a good 15 mins trying to track him down on Stuff of Legends and drawn a complete blank! He's definitely Warhammer, he was in one of the old Citadel Painting Guide booklets that they used to give away for free in the nineties. Maybe Marauder? Anyone have any ideas where he's from?

1033877_mb-.jpg

Plip

I did an ogre! This guy's one of my favourite of the Jes Goodwin big guys.

I aimed for a bit of an alcoholic look with the red nose, but at one point he was looking far too Christmassy; I think I managed to tone it back. Still, he wasn’t as enjoyable to paint as I’d hoped; lots of strange spaces on him that I wasn’t sure quite how to paint.

I’m thinking that actually the base needs some detail, maybe a shattered shield. And I’m highly tempted to try some tattoos on his knuckles, maybe ‘H I T’!

1037280_mb-.jpeg

Cheers for looking!

Ti Pouchon

Plip":1em51mw2 said:
A new hero- Amethyst Wizard.

He's an old Citadel wizard I think, though having said that I have just spent a good 15 mins trying to track him down on Stuff of Legends and drawn a complete blank! He's definitely Warhammer, he was in one of the old Citadel Painting Guide booklets that they used to give away for free in the nineties. Maybe Marauder? Anyone have any ideas where he's from?

Citadel. He's in the red book, p.243
http://www.solegends.com/citcat1991b/ca ... rds-01.htm

oh, and: gorgeous painting! The freehand shields are especially amazing

Micha

Excellent model selection, and beautiful painting. The ogre is fantastic, I have a very similar one from the same period.

Plip

Thanks again everyone.

Having this feedback is really helping to motivate me to get through these guys.

I've done another Gobbo, and old one that appears to be wearing slippers! Went for a slightly dirtier skin tone; not sure if it made that much difference though!

1037281_mb-.jpeg

Cheers!

Plip

Hi all and Happy New Year!

Here's to a productive 2020, both on and off the battlefield :)

One of my last minis of 2019 was completing this Mordheim Freelance Knight for Advanced Heroquest. The more I looked at him the more I wondered how to avoid painting him mostly silver; then I saw this version done by one of the Forge World painters. I've never tried NMM before, but thought I'd give it a go, especially since copying her version would make working out the light sources easier!

Here he is. I'm pretty happy with him, especially the face. The armour is probably a bit dark and I may revisit it with some white mixed with medium, but the sword has come out pretty well I think. It also didn't take as long as I expected. I don't think I'll be doing it again in a hurry though!

1039014_mb-.jpeg
1039015_mb-.jpeg

Think I might take a break from the Old World for a bit and make a start on an all-Jes-Goodwin Eldar Kill Team :)

Cheers for looking!

Back