Rats and Plague

Make us dream with all your oldhammer stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:10 pm

Rats and Plague

I recently got inspired to work on some of my old warhammer models, so I dug them out of storage and broke out the green stuff, and my ebay password.

However, I know that inspiration can be fickle, and that I am better at keeping the fire going if I have some sort of project log online, with at least the feeling of some kind of audience. Then, rather than just painting for my own hobby satisfaction, I am also painting for that social media high, posting pictures hoping that someone will reply with a "cool model bro" to get that thrill of community approval.

So. My main love in the world of oldhammer is skaven, so probably most of the stuff I will post will be about them, mostly Clan Moulder, but also with some smattering of other clans.

Secondarily, I also love Nurgle Warriors and Daemons, and will definitely post some of my work on something within that category too.

I'm posting it here on the oldhammer forum because I feel like I the style and effect I am going for with both of these groups is related to oldhammer, and many of the models will be from the right era too. But I'm not a purist or a collector, so the models will be on round bases (when they are done anyway), and there will be some post-80's stuff in the photos on occasion too, as well as stuff I sculpt myself. Just as a warning.

So. The first model I want to preview is my packmaster hero riding a rat ogre. This is inspired by a model from what I think is Andy Chambers' 80's skaven army, though I am not sure. A picture of the army was in an old warhammer book anyway. The model is not done yet, but pretty close to it. Mainly going to put it on a round base (I just really don't like square bases anymore).

The second is a Nurgle Sorcerer on Palanquin. I think I recall reading in Lost and the Damned that palanquins (or maybe it was altars) could be carried by monstrous creatures, so I went with that idea and built a gross monster to carry the palanquin on its back. The palanquin has an earlier paintjob that I will probably just work over, so its just the beast that needs to be painted from scratch.

Stay tuned for updates, imaginary audience.

Post Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:34 pm

Re: Rats and Plague

This looks very promising, keep posting!
I think that Oldhammer isn't proper Oldhammer without a bit of DIY thrown in, so keep the conversions coming!
ImageImageImage

mbh

Post Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:14 pm

Love it

Especially the rat ogre mount

Post Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:12 pm

Thank you. I'm hoping everything will look nice when I got the skaven painted up and take some group pictures.

For now, here is a couple of other skaven models I am working on. One is a skaven commander on a war litter - you may recognise that I painted the rider up as he was painted in Advanced Heroquest (as far as I remember).

The other one is a Forgeworld Brood Horror. I love the model, but I want to make sure that the focal point of all my skaven model either has a classic Jes Goodwin head, or is covered up so you can't tell. With this guy, I gave him a Jes Goodwin head on the modern warlord body.

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:30 pm

Hello, this is great.

By a bizarre turn of chance I have been collecting a Nurgle Warband for a couple of years now. Collecting more than painting, the painting is yet to come. Then, recently, a mate of mine moved to America and as I had done him a lot of good turns over the years "bequeathed" unto me, quite a large late 80s/Early-mid Nineties Skaven Army. There's some nice Marauder in there but most of it is the Herohammer era stuff. Still, a great horde with some nice character models , a Bell and Doomwheel.

So put them together and I have a very similar project in mind, death, disease, pestilence and... the other one.

I'm stockpiling my models as I'm relocating soon, so I doubt I'll get started on putting together and painting all my stuff until at least the middle of next year. I'll be regularly checking out what you are up to here though, cracking stuff!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear an idiot than to open it and remove all doubt.

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:29 pm

Famine! Or something. Cool beans anyway! And good luck with your project. :)

Currently it feels like I am sort of "gathering the materials" for this at the moment, but without getting any individual models done. But I am sure I will get there eventually. All my new ebay acquisitions have arrived, and I got my bases sorted, so nothing is holding me back. However, I kind of shamefully realised that I think the palanquin guy is the only oldhammer nurgle model I have. The rest I sculpted or are modern. So maybe he is the only one I will be posting. We shall see.

But the rats! I love the rats. Here are some more preparation shots of stuff I have gathered or am working on.

Post Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:54 am

Really good work, they look terrific!

Post Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:20 pm

Thank you. And I figured out that I lied - I also have an original Beast of Nurgle I can paint up for this thread. :)

Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:50 pm

Little bit of progress. The slave cage now has a slave in it. Removable, so I can make a range of different slaves if the mood strikes me.

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:14 pm

Update to the nurgle guy is that I put him on a bigger base and adorned him with some oldhammer skeletons. My plan is to put a big banner behind him too.

Next

Return to Showroom