Iron Claw Black Orcs


Make us dream with all your oldhammer stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar

Posts: 751

Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:54 pm

Post Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:08 pm

Re: Iron Claw Black Orcs

Micha wrote:Nice Job on These ones; Bob Olley models are not easy to paint IMHO (I have the Iron Claw Goblin Chariot), lots of textures and wrinkles - yours look truly good. I feel the models look a bit monochromatic, maybe they would benefit from some patches of brighter Color (red, yellow etc); although I presume you intenden them this way. Will the bases stay as they are, or will you add flock/grass etc?


Thanks. These do have some challenging textures, in that very similarly textured areas are right next to each other (‘is that chainmail? Fur? Hair? SKIN?!’).

I’m keeping the palette in these darker, more ‘realistic’ colors. With this exception - models with the crazy shields are getting more fantastic colors. While a sense of earthiness and realism is overall what I’m looking for, I just can’t bring myself to do these crazy shields in a too-realistic way.

They’re too strange.

So above, one of these shields I did with red, orange, and yellow inks.

And I just tried this one (still WIP but close to done) in some wild fluorescent inks:

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar

Posts: 751

Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:54 pm

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:51 pm

Re: Iron Claw Black Orcs

Ok!

I’ve taken the suggestion of adding another, lighter, drybrush on the bases.

Image

Image

Image

This completes the project (for now). I’ve painted all the models I have, and this is probably already more than I would have in a game at once.

That said, maybe I’ll supplement if someone wants to sell me the ones I still need . . .

Image

Image

When I started the project, I thought the earlier models would be my favorites. And while the ones with the wild shields ARE my favorites, I otherwise preferred the later sculpted models.

The trouble with the older ones is perhaps too many textures, and all pretty similar, and all right next to each other.

But the project continues to affirm that Olley is my favorite sculptor. And now I’ve been inspired to start collecting the iron clad beast men.

Thanks for following the thread!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posts: 8

Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:58 pm

Location: Belgium

Post Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:28 pm

Re: Iron Claw Black Orcs

I can at least help out with one of your collection needs, as I'm on the lookup for a final miniature out of those Black Orcs: 074790-4
Image

If you would be having multiple of this one, I can trade it for one of the following:
- Giant Black Orc Halberd 4 (074790-10)
- Giant Black Orc Two Swords (074790-8)

If interested, feel free to PM me.
User avatar

Posts: 751

Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:54 pm

Post Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:25 am

Re: Iron Claw Black Orcs

BloodEyes wrote:I can at least help out with one of your collection needs, as I'm on the lookup for a final miniature out of those Black Orcs: 074790-4
Image

If you would be having multiple of this one, I can trade it for one of the following:
- Giant Black Orc Halberd 4 (074790-10)
- Giant Black Orc Two Swords (074790-8)

If interested, feel free to PM me.


I regret that I have no spares, just the ones painted!

I’ll be sure to let you know if I want up with the one you’re after though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar

Posts: 270

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:18 pm

Location: UK

Post Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:13 pm

Re: Iron Claw Black Orcs

I really like your work on these. I think you've painted them in a way that really compliments the style of the sculpts. To me they have a feel of illustrations of monsters in story books that you'd be a little scared of as a kid. You've nailed it in my book!
Last edited by JonAtron on Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

Posts: 751

Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:54 pm

Post Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:23 pm

Re: Iron Claw Black Orcs

JonAtron wrote:To me they have a feel of illustrations of monsters in story books that you'd be a little scared of a kid. You've nailed it in my book!


Oh man, thanks for those kind words. I’m flattered by that comparison. I’m fired up to find the models I’m missing and resume.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar

Posts: 120

Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:03 am

Location: Berlin , Germany

Post Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:50 pm

Re: Iron Claw Black Orcs

Really enjoying following this thread. They look great , especially how you painted the shields, hope you can get the missing figures- looking forward to see the collection grow
User avatar

Posts: 301

Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:33 pm

Location: Denmark

Post Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:48 pm

Re: Iron Claw Black Orcs

I just stumpled upon this lot of greenskins. I believe two of the ones you are missing are among them:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980s-90s-WA ... 2656858709
I know it's way too expensive for just the two Black Orcs, but on the other hand the Goblins should be relatively easy to sell or trade, so it might not be all that bad a deal.
User avatar

Posts: 751

Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:54 pm

Post Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:11 pm

Re: Iron Claw Black Orcs

LilBroGrendel wrote:I just stumpled upon this lot of greenskins. I believe two of the ones you are missing are among them:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980s-90s-WA ... 2656858709
I know it's way too expensive for just the two Black Orcs, but on the other hand the Goblins should be relatively easy to sell or trade, so it might not be all that bad a deal.


Thanks! I’m watching it now and if it doesn’t sell maybe I can make an offer and re-sell the gobbos.

I’m mostly not in tune with prices on the fantasy stuff. How much would each goblin typically sell for do you think, exclusive of shipping?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar

Posts: 301

Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:33 pm

Location: Denmark

Post Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:00 pm

Re: Iron Claw Black Orcs

Orjetax wrote:Thanks! I’m watching it now and if it doesn’t sell maybe I can make an offer and re-sell the gobbos.

I’m mostly not in tune with prices on the fantasy stuff. How much would each goblin typically sell for do you think, exclusive of shipping?


No problem. I have often seen individual Goblins have a price of around 5 or 6 £, but some times as low as 3,50 or 4 £. I believe that 4 £ each isn't completely off.
PreviousNext

Return to Showroom

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.