Marienburg, Undeadish, etc! (plague)

ardyer

Re: Marienburg, Undeadish, etc! (Deadcember!)

Those are excellent. Thanks for hooking me up with one at Oldhammer day.... I'll paint it eventually I swear!

Thanks. I just wish I had got the others cast instead. The one that was cast is my least favorite of the three.

Not much time for painting lately. But wanted to wish everyone who reads my little plog a happy holiday of choice. Or not. Crom does not care.

mcromir_zpsnwc2yb0j.jpg

(Yeah, even recycling my Christmas image/joke from last year... no time for messing around with a new one of those, either. lol )

Deadcember '16 is crawling to its conclusion...

Managed to sneak in a little more painting time last night and finished (more or less -might need a touch-up or two) the three skeleton heroes: Ennio Mordini, Renzo Avanti, and Richter Kreugar.

3bone.jpg

Also rebased this old figure, painted ages ago, to match my current stuff.

miniskel.jpg

Not much in the way of painting lately. Most of the little time I've had has been put into some minis and a couple of toys that other people are still waiting on. I did sneak in one thing for myself, I put the final paint a dwarf who was over half painted for ages. A bit rushed looking, though, which is a shame since it's one of my converted classic models. I wanted some doppledwarfs to supplement the usual spear, handgun & artillery. Embarrassingly, I started these before the White Knight figures (which I need to get my hands on) were available -- if that's any indication of how slow the progress has been. The Marauder landsknecht dwarfs fall into an odd category of miniatures that I love, but hate to paint.

At any rate, here he is with some of the other conversions I've previously painted.

20170204_232307_zps7gukonfu.jpg

20170204_232356_zpsqxvnbuou.jpg

I'm still thinking about that Rogue Trader/sci-fi misanthropic pirate robot crew. I picked up a few angry/murderous looking robots from Effin Cool Miniatures today.

20170204_173401_zps7jikewd7.jpg

Speaking of Effin Cool minis, I also got a halfling for scale comparison. From left to right it's:

Citadel, Effin Cool, Westfalia, Marauder, Goblin Factory, Grenadier, a random goose. The base on the Effin Cool mini doesn't have the magnetic layer, so he will end up a little taller. A good match, in terms of size & style, for the Citadel, Goblin Factory, and Grenadier. Westfalia are a little taller with more natural proportions, and the Marauder halflings remain one of the two tiny ranges I've got (along with some of the really old Ral Partha -- which I've stripped and re-primed. So maybe I'll paint at least one of those up soon sometime in the next few years.

20170204_173235_zps3qboqcun.jpg

As I mentioned in my previous post, I've been busy with my new job, both in the office, and travelling to distant lands...

pixlr_20170204234345805_zpseprwsnyb.jpg

I was also happy that when I recently got back into town, we finally had a decent snow and I finally got to build an overdue first snowman with my daughter. We've been waiting for a decent snow for *years*. It was actually a little wet because it had warmed up a bit during the day, but we managed to get it all together. :)

20170131_183118_20170204234323686_zpsil2fa43l.jpg

symphonicpoet

Re: Marienburg, Undeadish, etc! (Dwarf conversion, bots)

Those dwarves look great! And congrats on the snow. Haven't built a snowman in forever. Ought to do that some time just to make my wife, who is from Vietnam, play in the snow a little more. (Not that we've had any to speak of this year. Been nearly snowless so far. Very dry winter and maybe a little on the warmer side of usual.)

Thanks!

This was my daughter's first time building a snowman too. She was very excited about it. :grin:

THanks. Here's a finished photo, and some comparisons.

From left to right: Two previously painted Marauder dwarfs with spear, one freshly painted White Knight dwarf with spear (now available at TAG), one freshly painted Marauder dwarf with great sword, and one freshly painted, converted Marauder dwarf (swapped spear with greatsword.)

20170212_013418_zpsucixvslu.jpg

Also, the finished hobbit from Effin Cool, along with my first use of some new tufts from Shadow's Edge Miniatures.

efcl01_zpsazvoed4l.jpg

I also primed & base coated 15 of the Westfalia hobbits yesterday!

I really like your halflings and dwarfs (and yeah your whole Marienburg army, actually :) ). I like how they have all sorts of different colors while they are still tied together by your painting style.

I've painted the first group of Westfalia halfmen for the Jackrabbit Trading Company (JTC.) These are the crossbowmen. I liked the idea of crossbows because it's a different take on halflings. It seemed to make sense, for some use, to me. Greater draw, range, power than bows or slings. Both of those will still have a place with scouts, rangers, militia, etc. But for the "professional" guard of the JTC, I'm going to use some crossbow troops.

20170218_220737_zpsdbn2orgg.jpg

If you look carefully, there is actually one with a handgun. I picked up some miscast figures from Westfalia, with the intention of using them for casualty markers. And I will. But I needed a few more figures for this group, and one of the supposed miscasts was a handgunner that I couldn't find any flaw on. So "Boomstick Bill" the hobbit joined the ranks. Bill's always got to do his own thing.

On that topic, I still wanted one more. So I picked a halberdier from the miscasts, reconstructed his helmet and side of his head (a couple of big bubbles in the casting) and then cut off the halberd and put together a standard. So once this guy is painted, he will join the above unit plus the first sample figure I received from Westfalia, giving me a unit of 16. Or two smaller units of 8. I regret not getting more crossbow hobbits, and if they become available for general purchase, I would like a second batch.

20170218_154617_zpsfsqgit0m.jpg

Yesterday I received (another) package in the mail from Shadespyre. A small batch of the later Citadel armoured skeletons, to match the few I painted up in Deadcember. I knew they were on their way, so I also got hold of a sample pack of similar looking former Harlequin skeletons from Black Tree Design to see how they scaled up. In the photo below, there are three Citadel figures on the left, and three Black Tree figures on the right. Pretty close match!

20170218_160843_zpsmvltfacd.jpg

Re: Marienburg, Undeadish, etc! (RUST... step by step)

Painted a couple more odd hobbits. I probably won't use the mounted guy for gaming, but wanted to re-paint him for nostalgia's sake. Old Ral Partha figures. (I think -- 95% certain.)

20170226_180213_zps1vxs8ljp.jpg

And another ongoing hobbit comparison shot.

20170226_180615_zpslpxk1qbg.jpg

Left to right: Westfalia, Goblin Factory, Citadel, Ral Partha, Marauder, Effin Cool, and... ho ho, who do we have here on the right? Some upcoming figure(s) yet to be painted...? ;)

Since I've been painting short folk, I thought I would paint up my my favorite old goblin figure. I have/had a few others but I think they've all been traded off or given away. I'm keeping this guy -- it's my last one.

20170226_180148_zpstnqvn2r5.jpg

Gallivantes

Lovely painted minis, as usual :)

The exploits of the Jackrabbit Trading Co. will be watched with anticipation from over here. I find myself rooting for the bold entrepreneurs; salami, mild peril and derring-do in the wild marshlands. Colour me intrigued.

symphonicpoet

Quite a bit of difference between those old halflings; especially the Ral Partha examples. They all look good, but the RP ones actually come closest to matching the way I envisioned fantasy when I was a teenager. I have some old RP fantasy and I don't recall them being so delicate. That almost looks like an actual scale range. ("True 25" if you will. Whatever that would be.) How old are those? Early 80s? Mine are probably mid to late.

I found the halflings in a catalog as far back as 1983. SO they're at least that old. I probably bought them a few years later, as I got into miniatures mid '80s.

This may be the end of what I can get done for the Month of Marsh... but we'll see. Maybe one last push still to come! I have BIG plans for April, once again! ;)

20170326_012345_zpspchldxqa.jpg

20170326_013014_zpsc9xrvrnk.jpg

I also based up the old Ral Partha figure I used for my rust tutorial. Sir Rusty is based on a 40x40 base, due to his wide stance.

20170325_113301_zpspbasgdig.jpg

symphonicpoet

I love the pose on the fellow that's sort of dragging along with his shield on the ground. You get the idea he's been campaigning a very long time indeed. Interesting to think of "monsters" as tired.

Gallivantes

Re: Marienburg, Undeadish, etc! (Fimir & Sir Rusty)

Very very cool! Not often you get to see a band of the Fim... Fom... Swamp guys!

Looking forward to seeing the army grow. And those Savage Orcs do the trick really nicely I think.

Back