Lost Lead

Nörgle

Here is some of my old stuff...they dont look better after 25 years in the box...

Attachments

• img20141015_230248.jpg
    img20141015_230248.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,229
  • img20141015_230424.jpg
    img20141015_230424.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,229
  • img20141015_230614.jpg
    img20141015_230614.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 1,229

Naagruz

I've been on a Stephen King kick lately & got inspired by his idea of the Crimson King with a twist of The King in Yellow. With any luck, I'll carry my King cubed theme beyond this PiP (it ain't likely):

Basing isn't done, I just got carried away. ;)

Attachments

• CRIM.JPG
    CRIM.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,158
  • CRIM-K.JPG
    CRIM-K.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,158

Aiteal

Nice :)
And lovely to see you adding to this thread again.
I recently got a mounted earl of harkness mini that is crying out for the sort of coloured metallic paint job you have done on your chaos warriors on page 1.
I've never really been good at metallics and coloured metallics in particular.
Any advise you could give me?

Naagruz

Aiteal":rz6iuqvd said:
I recently got a mounted earl of harkness mini that is crying out for the sort of coloured metallic paint job you have done on your chaos warriors on page 1.
I've never really been good at metallics and coloured metallics in particular.
Any advise you could give me?

Here's a bit more detail:

These guys were painted in the early '90s, but I have a fair recollection of what I did. It was pretty simple with black undercoat > drybrush steel > highlight drybrush silver in select areas (high points) > colored ink wash (I used green, blue, or red) > enamel silver for dings & finer highlights > some stipling/light drybrush overpaint for rusty character > gloss enamel laquer.

I'm a firm believer in enamels for the best metallic highlight results and gloss finishes to really make fully armored characters stand out. For something like the Earl, I'd definitely go gloss or satin at the least for a finish on the armor. It can make all the difference in the world & metal isn't meant to be dullcoted to death!

Attachments

• CH-METAL.JPG
    CH-METAL.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 1,103

Aiteal

cool, i'll try those techniques out on something else before tackling Harkness himself
Cheers for the advice :)

Aiteal":j680kagt said:
cool, i'll try those techniques out on something else before tackling Harkness himself
My Harkness is on the way across the pond even as we speak! I'll race you... ;)

Aiteal

LeadAsbestos":37cxbuhh said:
Aiteal":37cxbuhh said:
My Harkness is on the way across the pond even as we speak! I'll race you... ;)

Ha, i'm a slowwwwww painter, even if your little fellah is swimming his away to you, you'll probably be done first.
I'm gonna experiment with vallejo glaze medium and Naagruz's advice on a few less precious models first.

Naagruz

Now for something really scary! :twisted:

I'm guessing most folks are horrified by the prospect of using the above medium on miniatures, or wondering what the heck all those funny pots are.
Perhaps the aversion comes from an older sibling who recanted tales of wooziness while painting with enamels or a personal tragedy involving gloppy layers of bulletproof paint eternally slopping the detail on your favorite elf. While these paints are definitely not the easiest to work with, probably banned in the EU, & pretty much absent from the miniature painting scene on the interwebz, they really can be quite fun. As a matter of fact, I think they should be looked at as "Funamels"!

Enamels definitely require some ventilation & technique, but you can blend them, they can make good washes, & provide awesome coverage when needed. The metallics are definitely the best I've used &, heck, even that heretic Phil Lewis made magic with them in WD 89.

As part of an exercise in adversity squared, I'm knocking out my group of Olley's unusual Iron Claw undeads in almost nothing but enamels. Here's the test WiP:

Not sure about what to do with the eyes yet, but Bob's already got a cartoony sculpt & I'd like to tone the googly-eyes down as much as possible. Undead guys are supposed to be scary right? ;)

Attachments

• FEAR-ENAMEL.JPG
    FEAR-ENAMEL.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 852
  • FUNAMEL2.JPG
    FUNAMEL2.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 852
  • FUNAMEL1.JPG
    FUNAMEL1.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 852

ardyer

I've been experimenting with both oil and enamel washes a lot lately (well not lately...prior to my third kid being born I was!). I agree that they are definitely very useful and should not be discounted.

Harry

It has taken me this long to get my head around acrylic .... but I admire your confidence to experiment ...
last time i saw a pot of paint like that was at least 35 years ago .... it was olive drab and I was splashing it all over a airfix sherman tank until it obscured every bit of detail. :grin:

Fimm McCool

Haven't tried enamels in a long time, but was wondering about maybe giving them a go in order to paint my Goblinoids Combat Cards miniatures in the original medium... did try oils with quite good success last year, but on a Reaper Bones Ice Giant so considerably larger than 28mm! Those Testors paints are great though, really good consistency and coverage.

Naagruz

More enamadness. Quicky job, but it works out quite well for the 40C+ days painting in my garage.
Fun fig to paint on from the Night Horrors range.

Busting out some other Olley sculpts in, yes, even more enamel, so I hope to have those pics up soonish. :grin:

Attachments

• SLIME.JPG
    SLIME.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 642

Padre

These photos (and by extension the figures in them) are lovely.

Re: enamels = I have used nothing but enamels on figures for 32 years. Thousands of figures. Still not sure if I like the medium.

Back