Undead

Make us dream with all your oldhammer stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat May 30, 2020 4:39 pm

Re: Undead

those crypts are great.
the dark knight of the twisted moon

Image Image

https://bit.ly/2m5gfAo

https://bit.ly/2TczEfY

Post Sun May 31, 2020 11:23 pm

Very nice minis, and very nice crypts.

Post Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:23 am

I think something really important to the success of that scenery is, you didn't fall to the temptation to cut costs. You went ahead and crammed loads of gravestones onto a base plus one or two big (relatively expensive) pieces.

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:28 pm

These are the Jawbats from Titan Forge. I did get them for my Undead, although I've not thought about what they might proxy in Warhammer

I've had them for years and some months ago primed them ready for when the moment took me. Like all the resin I've had from Titan Forge I had to use an etch primer (Hycote grey) to get a surface on which to paint - I'd say about 70% of the models I've had have from them have remained very shiny and impossible to prime no matter how much washing I've done, very odd resin.

Anyhow they were a very quick paint job - two evenings I think, copying the Titan Forge paint job since nothing else particularly leapt to mind. Red base done in several coats to get a smooth finish, couple of brown washes, black drybrushed in the wings (Rosemary and Co smooshing brushes - love em for drybrushing), edges and bumps highlighted up with some orange (couple of layers) and then details picked out. Felt so nice to just bash out some models quickly!

The slow shambling zombies are done, but I think they need some dirtying down to really finish them off. So I'm pondering either pigments or some of the AK enamel grime effects to do that.

Post Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:13 am

Bat squigs!

There's your answer, by the way. Lovely stuff! :)

Post Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:14 pm

Your painting skills are formidable mate. Great thread.
Slag Valley Bullett my Necromunda newspaper.
Paraquat Welcomes Careful Drivers. A narrative sort of blog.
Things in my trade list.

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:24 pm

Thank you for the kind words.

So finally I've taken a photo of the finished zombies. I did end up putting some AK weathering enamels on them for some dirtying, but didn't do that much because it wasn't really achieving quite what I wanted. I've decided instead to accept they are just slightly brighter better kept zombies than I originally intended! A coat of matte varnish will dull them a tad anyhow. I think I needed more subtly in the shadows if I was going to get a darker dirtier look.

This lot consist of a box of Fireforge Living Dead Peasants and a box of Living Dead Warriors. Both bought from Wargames Emporium in Sheffield. They are nice models with a good selection of options, plenty of bits spare (using these as weapon swaps for some Nighthaunt Chainrasps). I opted for these because I felt they had an older ascetic than the Mantic zombies and the current GW ones have very large silly looking shoulders. I'd probably have opted for some older lead, but have never really found a good set of zombies to actually make a horde. So here we are, Old Hammer in spirit I feel if not in models!

Post Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:59 am

they look very nice.
the dark knight of the twisted moon

Image Image

https://bit.ly/2m5gfAo

https://bit.ly/2TczEfY

Post Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:12 pm

I like that zombie horde - bit chunkier than the citadel jobs but lovely paint jobs

Post Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:59 pm

Thank you. Next up we have the Skullchucker. Now the main debate I had with this was bone or stone wheels... the advert I see has stone, but I've been lazy and left mine as bone. I may change my mind, but life is short and the lead pile large. I am missing the pile of skulls, but I expect I could make a small pile at some point to replace the original, or maybe it'll turn up one day! Looking at the models now perhaps some rust is called for on the chainmail, looks a touch fresh now I look at it again!

Well after this we have a few already done bits I took photos of that I'll post, but the next bits of undead on the todo list are a non citadel catapult and eventually the zombie dragon. Then we move onto more modern Nighthaunt models. Still that lot may well take a while as I've diverted onto some Squats for a bit!
PreviousNext

Return to Showroom