Talisman

New GW edition out later this year. :grin:

Don't mind if they AoS it. It would make perfect sense really. Interesting to see what they do though, and I look forward to the shit storm that will follow once more details are released. ;)

:o

I will be very interested in this. It is my favourite board game of all time. However, if it's got a Stormcast Eternal in it I may well stick to my beloved 3rd Edition.

What's your source, by the way?

Zhu Bajie

Why would there be a shit-storm? I don't remember one about the Talisman 40k Relic game that FFG did, and 4th Edition was well received (both the Black Library and FFG versions). Maybe they're going to Space Crusade it up with a lot of nudity. Or, I don't know maybe Kindom Death: Talisman or whatever gets people riled up these days. :lol:

I remember the original Talisman being on sale in department stores along-side snakes and ladders and Monopoly I think it was a bit of a break-though family board game for GW, and the reason for it's success. The magic of Talisman is that it drew on well established archetypes from the fantasy genre and fairy-tale made it easily accessible for none fantasy-gamer audience, indeed D&D, playable straight out of the box, was the original concept, A similar direction today could be exciting, but burying it in GWs proprietary IP and plastic model kit parts would be the most obvious and least interesting thing to do with the game.

Then again, maybe they'll just get Ian Miller to draw the whole thing and set it in a post-apocalyptic dieselpunk world.

Zhu Bajie":3m8df9gl said:
burying it in GWs proprietary IP and plastic model kit parts would be the most obvious and least interesting thing to do with the game.

Indeed. But the most likely event, I suspect.

Zhu Bajie":2ft71s4l said:
Why would there be a shit-storm?

Because some people always have a problem whenever GW release anything. Some will be annoyed if it isn't exactly like 2nd edition, or 3rd edition, or if it gets AoS'd, or it's not Heroquest or it's not [insert army of choice] instead of another boardgame. GW seem to take all this in good humour on their Facebook pages though.

There's a lot to speculate upon. Will they tap into classic 2nd edition and do some great recreations of those character archetypes? Might they recreate 4th edition and those characters to tie in with the current digital game? Will they AoS it? Will they just load the box with models from their current ranges? Or might they throw a curve ball and do a 30K themed one to tie into the digital Horus Heresy Talisman game?

I'd love to see updated versions of 2nd edition models but I love my 4th edition stuff so it would be great to have good models to replace the shonky ones there (although there are a couple of rather good ones in the final few expansions). An AoS theme would be great for the sake of something different and it would likely appeal more to GW's current customer base (rather than trying to please old grognards) but it might just get loaded with current models then too. It's rather exciting over all though. And new Warhammer Quest drops on Saturday too, likely to try and please everyone who moaned about Silver Tower not having 'proper' dungeon tiles. ;)

I'm happy with 2nd ed, don't see the need to buy a reimagined version of it. The artwork is bloody nice in 2nd IMHO too :grin:

I'll be honest, I hope they don't AoS it, but I imagine they will.

It works best in my eyes as a generic fantasy game, even expansions like Timescape detracted from the game by adding Space Marines etc for me.

Having said that, I'm really glad they're going through their back catalogue and re-releasing old games. I'm really looking forward to Titanicus and eventually hopefully Necromunda and Mordheim.

Maybe even Dark Future... :lol:

Zhu Bajie

stone cold lead":x8jfygk5 said:
Zhu Bajie":x8jfygk5 said:
Why would there be a shit-storm?

Because some people always have a problem whenever GW release anything

Oh yeah. I've been managing to avoid those people for so long I forgot they existed.

A 100% John Blanche Talisman in the same way the original was 100% Gary Chalk would be awesome. Perhaps based off Voodoo Forest, high magic dirty decadent renaissance weirdness, big floppy hats, spiky shoes, boats up trees, clattering skeletons and muskets.

Back