Most expensive GW product ever?

Jimbobodoll

Hello all,

Just saw something so antithetical to the Oldhammer ethos, that it made me literally say "what?!" in mind and led me to share with your good selves....

You see it all started when I popped onto GW's website to see if the new dark elf models had been released yet... A harmless venture you might think - alas I was shocked at GW advertising a product at the price of £7,065. I kid you not.

And what do you get for the price of a small car?(!) A chapter of Space Marines. An. Entire. Chapter. What on earth?! What ever happened to 10 models a side, each with their own names?

It's stuff like that which makes me quite incredibly glad that the Oldhammer scene has come to exist. It's the hobby I remember.

Cheers,

Jim

lenihan

After my first year Uni, a friend came to visit my family home in Liverpool. For some reason, I was late back home the day he arrived, and he got talking with my mother about, of all things, Warhammer. All the armies he'd collected as a teenager, all the models he'd bought. And my mother thought about the tiny army of high elves I'd collected just through Christmas and birthday presents here and there, and she felt dead guilty. And when I came home, she was asking whether I felt sad about how we were never able to afford as many warhammer figures as other kids. To which I told her, don't be daft, But the memory stuck with me and I thought about all of the other parents who must have been plagued by the fact that they couldn't afford to get things for their kids for the hobby they badly wanted to be part of.

But the moral of the story is, Games Workshop's business model is about extracting shitloads of money from people who have disposable income. I don't begrudge them that, that's how they make their money and stay in business. And as long as I was welcome to play in their stores with the handful of miniatures I was able to afford, how could I complain? In most respects they were much better to me as a customer than any other shop would ever be. But all the same I do remember the time the store manager said there was no point in me looking at the new releases in the cabinet because I never bought anything. Just a small comment (albeit one of a number he used to make), but it stung, and it reminded me of what I know to this day: Games Workshop is a hobby for rich kids. It's a far cry from the airfix armies and make do and mend mentality of early days wargaming.

Orlygg

It certainly makes you wonder at the motive behind such a sales choice. After all, it would have been quite possible to buy an entire legion of marines by just increasing the amounts as you buy the units. Not that I suspect that there are many people who would WANT to buy such a huge amount of models. An attempt at viral advertising for a ego gone unchecked? Who knows?

Jimbobodoll

Their pricing is just so shocking - even for a jaded "vet" such as me. For example, elsewhere on their website, they are selling seven infantry models for £100 (1990s phoenix lord and avatar) - seven! It's just unbelievable, and to my mind brazenly cheeky. No one should have the gaul to ask for that amount of money on such a small amount of goods.

@lenihan: Thanks for sharing. It's good that your past experiences haven't driven you off the hobby for good!

@Orlygg: Indeed regarding GW's ego. Their marketing department especially it seems!

Asslessman

Worst thing of all, some recent models are even good enough to be considered byable but the sole price makes them go in th e"no way" bow for me.
The fact they're making models always bigger is clearly a sign this tendancy will last quite some time.
Some units have such a dreadful price/pointcost ratio buying oldschool BiN's frm ebay might even prove cheaper ! (look at quetsing knights or undead vampire knights).
Now when you add the fact they release silly models such as centurions (how could it possibly walk seriously), I don't get it. They have the artists, they have the knowledge and the IP on such goldnuggets and yet they base everything on such rubbish...

please stop making dual kits when they are not justified
please do not make an oversized plastic kit for EVERY goddamn army
please do not create new weapons and units when some existing entries still don't have a proper model
please do not change good models for a new sculpt just because it's old
please give us scenarios or gaming material in WD's (this actually make us buy nex stuff more than stupid adds)

I know I'm going to buy more of their stuff in the future because a good model will always be a good model, it's just I'm a bit sad to see I can't share a thing with kids in the stores because they've been like brainwashed to buy every new release because it's so "super mega awsumer" than the super awsum thing they've bought just before.
Some people still enjoy what they do and that's a good for them, it's just I feel our hobby is kind of split now and it feels weird to play "out of the box" so to speak...

The Limited edition marine codex books are $195 AUS :lol:

I probably wouldn't even pay that for a book of graphic nude shots of Charlize Theron...probably ;)

My one (small) army as a kid was built up through Christmas and birthday monies, theres just no way I would be able to get into Warhammer at these prices if I was a kid today.

Naagruz

That Ultramarine lot would be the most uninspired purchase ever.

Hi, I just dropped $12K and got a boatload of duplicate sprues. We aren't even talking limited production leads or exciting one-off minis special from some top-sekret design team; it's just a mass of easily had product. Kind of like buying bark for your front flower beds by the ton instead of in bags...

I'd rather buy $12K in recast chicken dragons.

Harry

Asslessman":ecjk2dpf said:
Worst thing of all, some recent models are even good enough to be considered byable but the sole price makes them go in th e"no way" bow for me.
The fact they're making models always bigger is clearly a sign this tendancy will last quite some time.
Some units have such a dreadful price/pointcost ratio buying oldschool BiN's frm ebay might even prove cheaper ! (look at quetsing knights or undead vampire knights).
Now when you add the fact they release silly models such as centurions (how could it possibly walk seriously), I don't get it. They have the artists, they have the knowledge and the IP on such goldnuggets and yet they base everything on such rubbish...

please stop making dual kits when they are not justified
please do not make an oversized plastic kit for EVERY goddamn army
please do not create new weapons and units when some existing entries still don't have a proper model
please do not change good models for a new sculpt just because it's old
please give us scenarios or gaming material in WD's (this actually make us buy nex stuff more than stupid adds)

I know I'm going to buy more of their stuff in the future because a good model will always be a good model, it's just I'm a bit sad to see I can't share a thing with kids in the stores because they've been like brainwashed to buy every new release because it's so "super mega awsumer" than the super awsum thing they've bought just before.
Some people still enjoy what they do and that's a good for them, it's just I feel our hobby is kind of split now and it feels weird to play "out of the box" so to speak...
I come here instead of Warseer so I don't have to read a bazillion posts like this one. :grin:

Asslessman

You're right guys, I deserve it. Honestly, I have to say reading it a couple of days after makes me realise it's not the kind of post I'd want to read myself either. :?

Guess I was in a unexpceted raging mood but it's no excuse nonetheless. Posting pics and links and joking about nude goats suits me better.

Please accept my apologies, and thank you for puttnig me back into place my friends. ;)

ardyer

Asslessman":6c46o80s said:
You're right guys, I deserve it. Honestly, I have to say reading it a couple of days after makes me realise it's not the kind of post I'd want to read myself either. :?

Guess I was in a unexpceted raging mood but it's no excuse nonetheless. Posting pics and links and joking about nude goats suits me better.

Please accept my apologies, and thank you for puttnig me back into place my friends. ;)

It came as quite a surprise to me personally. I mean you French are always so un-emotional and even keeled :lol:

Asslessman

ardyer":o76mb60g said:
It came as quite a surprise to me personally. I mean you French are always so un-emotional and even keeled :lol:

Stiff upper lip is not our strongest asset I'm afraid ;) (latin blood and all that...)
Good thing is there are some very fine gentlemen here to learn good manners from. :grin:

Oh and yes, that has got to be the most expensive product ever...before next one :twisted:

Chico

Asslessman":czotifwy said:
Good thing is there are some very fine gentlemen here to learn good manners from. :grin:

Me? Yup has to be me. BTW on a unrelated note anyone see where that Goat went.. I need to 'um ''borrow'' him :shock:

Erny

I think I would like to suggest a cheaper product.

It is my new rules set called Goat wars.

In it Chico who is entirely AI controlled wanders around looking for full clothed PVC clad goats.
The winner is the one who removes the mental image from their minds first.

Chico

Erny":1n1rqg1a said:
I think I would like to suggest a cheaper product.

It is my new rules set called Goat wars.

In it Chico who is entirely AI controlled wanders around looking for full clothed PVC clad goats.
The winner is the one who removes the mental image from their minds first.

Good thing about goats and sheep that after you stuff them you also get to eat them :)

Asslessman

Chico":2r0uzef2 said:
Good thing about goats and sheep that after you stuff them you also get to eat them :)

Now this is a mental image that will be hard to remove, Erny's Goat wars was far more bearable. Now I'm going straight to warseer to post my whishlist for WH armies : NUDE GOATS

@Chico : I'm never having Easter lamb at your place, EVER.

Zhu Bajie

Announcing:

GOATHAMMER 40,000!!!!

RobotGoat-300x300.jpg

A full Platoon of robot goats, for only £40,000, fully AI controlled by Chicos brain.

In the goat filled future of the 41st Millenium there is only goat.

Asslessman

Zhu Bajie":jc7jbqud said:
A full Platoon of robot goats, for only £40,000, fully AI controlled by Chicos brain.

In the goat filled future of the 41st Millenium there is only goat.

Now here's an idea for the forum mini ;). Let's face it, it's become our mascot...

Back