Music to Paint too

Chico

So I'm guessing just like many of you I love to listen to music while painting so what are your favourite Artists/Genres/Songs when painting?

Genres:

Horrorcore (Think of horror themes mixed with metal/rap)
Metal/Rock

Artists (Too name a few):

Boondox
SicktanicK
KABOSH/Dirty Wormz
KGP
Kannibilistic
Team Death

Top Tracks:

Straight Out The Gate (Feat. Serj Tankian) - Tech N9ne
http://youtu.be/t4kkzsRJObE

God of Waar - KABOSH
http://youtu.be/MbfrodSvtUM

Asslessman

There are countless good songs to paint on but one album I especially like is the "orchestral tubular bells" by Mike Oldfield. It doesn't sound like the original version and is really great for inspiration, it's also really good for games or while you're reading space opera or comics like "the cast of the metabarons".

When Painting, I want peace so I often settle on "huun huur tu" with the strong tribal vibe it gives.

For painting fantasy adventurers or RPG stuff : I love piano works (Litzt, Chopin or Rachmaninoff when working on fantasy adventurers or roleplay, conan the barbarian's soundtrack is ace too and the band "incredible string band" (listen to this and dare tell me you don't feel like reading some tolkien)

For anything chaos : metal it is, anything from morbid angel to cryptopsy, anything really (how original)

When I'm working on my confrontation/rogue trader : I look for 80's specials like Billy Idol's "flesh for fantasy" (how bratt can this be?) and such or early Pantera, anything glamrock in fact...

That of course is when I'm not listening to the great radio programm we have about spies (I'm pretty sure such a show would prove popular on the other side of the channel).

Orlygg

Bolt Thrower and a Forest of Stars are two of my favourites. Mayhem too. Nothing like a bit of Norwegian Black metal when painting!

Padre

Asslessman":2wcbfewa said:
... conan the barbarian's soundtrack is ace too ...

We used to listen to this nearly every game of WFB we played, pressing the button at the moment the first figures were moved so that the wonderful first track would start, the one the film used for Thulsa Doom's attack on Conan's childhood village.

ardyer

None. I find music too distracting to listen to while I paint. Same with TV, as I know a lot of guys who paint while watching TV.

Asslessman

Orlygg":1duhg67x said:
Bolt Thrower and a Forest of Stars are two of my favourites. Mayhem too. Nothing like a bit of Norwegian Black metal when painting!

Oh yeah Bolt thrower is perfect for chaos rogue trader, for my scandinavian metal, I like to have some Opeth with my painting.

Blue in VT

Interesting discussion...

For music my preferences lean toward really early Blues and Ragtime acoustic guitar (which I also play)...artists like Mississippi John Hurt, Mance Lipscomb, Blind Blake etc...in fact that is where my handle comes from...I used to frequent a lot of Blues Guitar Forums...hence "Blue in VT"

Lately though I've taken to listening to Podcasts mostly when painting....This American Life, RadioLab, Freakenomics etc.

Sadly I've left my taste for mettle back in the day....though we did listen to Metallica exclusively when gaming in the spring...which was an added nostalgia stimulant!

Cheers,

Blue

Ti Pouchon

Orlygg":2zlq920g said:
Nothing like a bit of Norwegian Black metal when painting!

True dat. Burzum for me, anything from '94 onwards.

Also all sorts of British folk: Steeleye Span, Freeport Convention, Pentangle, Incredible String Band
-all the way to the Neofolk. Waldteufel is a current favourite and the "John Barleycorn Reborn" sampler is in the mail -finally!
Btw: was inspired to check out the latter by the banner designs on an Oldhammer blog named after a Tull album.
Jethro Tull: Always a good painting soundtrack too.

And, of course, forever Grateful, forever Dead!

Skarsnik

Ti Pouchon":3i6j0jmw said:
Also all sorts of British folk: Steeleye Span, Freeport Convention, Pentangle, Incredible String Band
-all the way to the Neofolk. Waldteufel is a current favourite and the "John Barleycorn Reborn" sampler is in the mail -finally!
Btw: was inspired to check out the latter by the banner designs on an Oldhammer blog named after a Tull album.
Jethro Tull: Always a good painting soundtrack too.

This is pretty much exactly what I listen to right now too, although Waldteufel are new to me, I'll have to check them out. Are they German?

Blue in VT

Ti Pouchon":3bjxa6bs said:
And, of course, forever Grateful, forever Dead!

Right on! Love the Dead and and learning a few of their tunes on guitar... 8-) Nothing like a 20 minute jam to help you focus on painting!

Cheers,

Blue

Ti Pouchon

Skarsnik & Old Lead":uv230x7c said:
This is pretty much exactly what I listen to right now too, although Waldteufel are new to me, I'll have to check them out. Are they German?

Haha! Coincidence? Or is there an 'old-timey' vibe going round?
There also is a classic composer named Waldteufel but that's not who I'm talking about.
Surprsingly, Waldteufel are not German but American, though I'm pretty sure the lead man has German roots.
Here's a youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKnee0msTCA

Blue in VT":uv230x7c said:
Right on! Love the Dead and and learning a few of their tunes on guitar... 8-) Nothing like a 20 minute jam to help you focus on painting!

Indeed, good sir! I'll never have the chops to play any Dead stuff but back in the day when I was sharing a flat with a classic musician, I used his harpsichord to get down TC's "Mountains of the Moon" part. Wonder if I'd still be able to do it.

Thantsants

Big fan of the Dead too - My Dad's fault as he played a load of their stuff in the car on family holidays - no, not Anthem of the Sun!

Live/Dead has to be a favourite.

Folk - got into Katrina Gilmour and Jamie Roberts recently and saw them play in York last year. This is a nice one too

Iron Maiden is a good old blast of nostlagia - should really have another listen to Metallica - Megadeath was another we used to listen to back in the day.

Quite like Midlake too.

Really into Talking Heads at the mo - not very Oldhammer though! :lol:

Sword and sorcerory wise I might go for Rainbow or Sabbath with Dio , Judas Priest's Sad Wings Of Destiny is a good un too.

Usually its classic rock like later era Beatles, Stones, Floyd, Zep, Sabbath, Alice, Bowie...Deep Purple's Made In Japan or one of the early Uriah Heep live albums might be the go.

Chico

Everyone seems to have a large range of music tastes between them with a few common connections :)

Harry

I'm a movie man myself.
Slap a movie on I have seen a dozen times and just look up for the best bits.

Mister Rab

Normally I don't as I tend to tune it out anyway (I do quite a large proportion of my painting while my wife watches tv, so that gets tuned out, too!), but if I'm home alone then I'll put on some of the rockier folk I have (Jethro Tull, New Model Army, or my new find The Demon Barbers) or some classic-style metal (Maiden, Metallica, Iced Earth, maybe Judas Priest) or some choral or medieval music. Quite eclectic, I guess!

bug16

I tend to paint half watching whatever b-movie takes my fancy on Netflix. That said I've watched Dredd more times than is possibly healthy recently when painting.

Tzigane

Fun to see all the preferences. :)

I like to listen to ambient music like Carbon Based Lifeforms, and at the recently I sometimes play a LotR audiobook.

Back