Some questions over BOYL events (especially the 2017 one)

weazil

Re: Some questions over BOYL events (especially the 2017 one

Hi Dadde

Apologies for not having picked up your query earlier - I see you already created a post in the BOYL 2017 folder. The secret to the success of BOYL is that it isn't really organised - it's an anarchy of well meaning individuals coming together to just 'make it work'. Whilst it's not designed to be exclusive in any way, I think the fact that it isn't organised and that everyone attending is a privileged guest (as opposed to an entitled customer) does help to keep the sort of people who aren't very good sat oldhammering away.

I'll start next week to put together the event website. Typically, once that's complete , I open a registration form of one sort or another so that people can register for games, book tables and so on.

There seem to be two ways that games form.

The first will happen from a post like yours. Something along the lines of 'omigosh I have this totes awesome idea for a game, who's in?'. If there is a lot of interest in the idea, then you'll get lots of responses and the game will 'form' organically. If there aren't a lot of responses (which seems too be the case with your post), then that might mean you'll need to switch to the second approach.

The second approach is where you pretty much design the game. So, it's not just an idea - you devise a set of rules, factions, possibly even some models and you then sell the thing using pictures of your plans - pictures of scenery, units, maps - that sort of thing. Look at posts from Harry to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

I think one of the things that we have seen over the last few BOYLs is that players don't like being bound into a single, weekend spanning super game. It's hard work and prevents them from getting involved in some of the smaller, fun little games that BOYL seems to inspire. I think you should try to aim for a game that might run for the whole day, but not any

We have debated about campaign weekends to scratch the multi-day epic mega game itch that we all hvae, but that's a separate thing to BOYL. Foundry would be more than happy to host something like that, but it needs to be organised separately.

I hope that helps. Hopefully, I'll have some sort of announcement regarding registration and booking sometime in February. In the mean time, feel free to pm me if you have any questions or just wanted to chat about BOYL.

Snickit

Re: Some questions over BOYL events (especially the 2017 one

Benamon":1heq0tnk said:
Snickit":1heq0tnk said:
dadde":1heq0tnk said:
Thanks for the invite Curtis! i was actually tring to find a way to run my Empire '90 army tbh :grin:
i ll save the invite anyway :grin:

I'm running Warhammer Fantasy 3rd edition 1000pt painting challenge with gaming at BOYL2017 if you're interested. No limits on ranges or manufacturers. Just 1000pts (intentionally low to allow people to get it done) painted between now and then.

Myself and a friend are planning on coming this year, would like to join in of there is space, I will have Slann and he is bringing Empire

Sorry for slow response, been busy with life. Are you still interested? It'll probably be on the Friday or the Sunday.

Back