Baggage trains

I think slaves and a slave driver are a great idea for any "evil" army's baggage train. It really gives their opponent something to fight for.
In fact, my orc baggage train features a couple such poor civilians (pictures to follow soon). But in many ways, slaves are even more suitable for Dark Elves than Orcs.

I seem to recall that in one of the Citadel Journals from the 1990's, there were some decent rules for slaves and slave driver units (as part of the army, not the baggage) for Dark Elves. I always thought these rules (for 4th or 5th edition) were ripe for a 3rd edition retrofit.

quindia

For my Chaos army I'm planning on using models from the Cavalcade of Nurgle as mentioned earlier, though I may need to sell a kidney to get a couple more minis from eBay (I only have two models at present). For my Undead I'm going to have wagons pulled by skeletal steeds led by the Mordheim dregs, and a few zombies to fill out the rest.

Protist

matthewjksullivan":3hzx22uz said:
I think slaves and a slave driver are a great idea for any "evil" army's baggage train. It really gives their opponent something to fight for.
In fact, my orc baggage train features a couple such poor civilians (pictures to follow soon). But in many ways, slaves are even more suitable for Dark Elves than Orcs.

I seem to recall that in one of the Citadel Journals from the 1990's, there were some decent rules for slaves and slave driver units (as part of the army, not the baggage) for Dark Elves. I always thought these rules (for 4th or 5th edition) were ripe for a 3rd edition retrofit.
That sounds particularly interesting, anyone have any more info on these rules? I'm not sure I could resist an addition to my forces that is that flavourful.

quindia":3hzx22uz said:
Ok, you got me searching for stuff!

What about Bloodbowl minis for crew? Some of these models would be great for a Nurgle baggage train...

http://www.meikominiatures.com/search/label/Kaos
Those are just begging for conversion, they'd make fantastic troopers as well as baggage handlers.

vonkortez

lenihan":zpbkw1ti said:
So one of the things I'm finding so attractive about 3rd edition is the set of rules for baggage trains. Ok, it might get annoying if they were a feature of every game, but for particular scenarios and campaigns, they are fantastic. I'm quite keen to build a baggage train for my high elf expeditionary force, and I have a vaguely appropriate cart, but so far only one appropriate unarmed fellow to accompany the baggage.

My question to you guys is: what do you do for unarmed/ civilian/ camp follower figures? Do you convert armed figures for the purpose, or do you buy specific figures? Are there any particular suppliers worth checking out that produce oldhammer-style camp followers? (Obviously I'm particularly interest in elf-like camp followers, but I'm more broadly interested in how you deal with this element of 3rd ed for whatever army)

Or do you just skip the baggage rules?

Hi, doing so grave digging again... but did you get that high elf baggage train done? I´m just about to start a baggage train/war camp project of my own and would like to see how others have done.
Anyway, here´s my humble start to this issue: http://vanhaavasarointia.blogspot.fi/2016/07/elf-baggage-train-wip-part-1.html

vonkortez

Just a couple of pics on what I´ve managed to get together so far...

WP_20160717_007%25281%2529.jpg

WP_20160717_010.jpg

So very much in WIP stage but slowly getting there.

lenihan

vonkortez":2esvmdas said:
Hi, doing so grave digging again... but did you get that high elf baggage train done? I´m just about to start a baggage train/war camp project of my own and would like to see how others have done.
Anyway, here´s my humble start to this issue: http://vanhaavasarointia.blogspot.fi/2016/07/elf-baggage-train-wip-part-1.html

Hi there... no, I'm afraid I never did, I've gone in so many directions since getting back into wargaming and left the elves somewhat neglected :( But this is a wonderful shot in the arm, I'm following your progress with interest.

vonkortez

Couple of shots of my high elf baggage train. I have my 10 civilians ready now but still miss the wagons/carts.

WP_20160903_003.jpg

Group photo of all the camp followers.

WP_20160903_005.jpg

The famost artish Thom of Elfland is about to start his latest masterwork The Wounded Wardancer.

Back