A Field in England

Zhu Bajie

I missed this on telly and am in 3 minds about purchase or rent or ignore for a bit.

For those not in the know, it's a movie bunch of guys in the English Civil War, in a field, on mushrooms, with odd supernatural elements and folkloric stuff. Sounds designed for me. I loved Valhalla Rising, and A Field in England seems to have a definite WFRP feel to me (cf. Blood on Satans Claw / the Seventh Seal)

Trailer 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbqgwSQk7vI

Trailer 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRRvzjkzu2U

Anyone see it? Worth a watch or ballistics to it?

ardyer

Sounds excellent. Although this kind of stuff never gets shown in the States, I'd love to see it.

Just John

I've watched just over half of this and I'm not sure about watching the rest of it to be honest. The arty slow motion and different styles of music are both unnecessary and irritating. Starts off good but this isn't as much about psychedelic mushrooms as I'd read. I'll update you if I ever watch the rest of it.

Padre

I loved what I saw of it. A friend recommended it saying it seemed to him to be, basically, 'me'. Which sounds weird, but is to do with the fact that am an English Civil War reenactor (of 27 years) who has explored the period through stories and roleplaying campaigns, including the weird side of the seventeenth century from witchfinding to alchemy to natural philosophy. Oh, and I act out various characters from the period, usually fairly eccentric ones, as a living.

So, yeah, I love it. But .... it was on late, and my partner went up to bed leaving me to watch it on my own with a bottle of red. The result - I woke up on the couch at 3 am not knowing if I had missed half an hour or the last 5 minutes. Aaaaghhaaagh.

Zhu Bajie

"Down with that sort of..." Chico, that site looks well dodgy, but Cheers! I figure I've already paid my license fee, and watching online is erm, no different to having set my freeview box to record it eh?

Opinion... worth watching. Shades of David Lynch and Peter Greenaway. Loved the soundtrack, but I'm a fan of hauntology, weird folk music etc. Shame the ltd. vinyl sold out. Overall the film fell a little flat, and I'm not sure exactly what happened there, but cyclical time and/or Elysian thing going on. The scrying mirror made me wonder if "The Master" was John Dee, but should have been dead by the ECW.

Chico

Gave it a watch this morning, not my cup of tea i'm afraid. Maybe i wasn't in the right frame of mind as i was dying in the heat lol

As for watching stuff online i have no problems with it, I'd prefer to watch it on my TV though. As for that site being dodgy it was top of my search list for a Field in England and i did a full scan of the site before linking :) So have no fear.

Padre

Zhu Bajie":3bvuf8u9 said:
Overall the film fell a little flat, and I'm not sure exactly what happened there, but cyclical time and/or Elysian thing going on. The scrying mirror made me wonder if "The Master" was John Dee, but should have been dead by the ECW.

Really do have to see the end now. John Dee was long dead by ECW, but perhaps he had other associates/apprentices beyond his known affiliation with Kelly. I will enjoy it, I think, just maybe not whilst drinking slightly too much red wine!

aggro84

I understand it probably wasn't everyone's cup of weird...
But I enjoyed it.
:grin:
Had some downright funny lines in it too.

Zhu Bajie

Padre":2n3y1jsa said:
Zhu Bajie":2n3y1jsa said:
Overall the film fell a little flat, and I'm not sure exactly what happened there, but cyclical time and/or Elysian thing going on. The scrying mirror made me wonder if "The Master" was John Dee, but should have been dead by the ECW.

Really do have to see the end now. John Dee was long dead by ECW, but perhaps he had other associates/apprentices beyond his known affiliation with Kelly. I will enjoy it, I think, just maybe not whilst drinking slightly too much red wine!

The mirror ended up in Elias Ashmoles private collection (now the Ashmolean museum), It's definitely broken in the movie tho :)

As an aside always wondered if there was much of a relationship between warp-stone and obsidian.

Thantsants

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it despite a couple of beer induced naps in the middle. I agree with Zhu - The sound track is great. I thought Ring a Ring O' Roses was particularly creepy!

I thought all the performances were great but I've always been a big fan of Reece Shearsmith - the scene where his character is taken into the tent by O'Neil is pretty hair-raising!

The ending wasn't quite what I was expecting after all the psychedelia and alchemical goings on but all in all a brilliantly weird film!

ardyer

About how long is it? I'm thinking about watching it after the kids go to bed, but with the day job, I can't be up all night :cry:

Back