The kindness of strangers/Oldhammer Scene

Chico

Bit of a random post this one really, but i have to say i've been into the Oldhammer Scene for awhile now (Not always knowing it too be honest) and like to think that I'm quite well known to people as a fair and sometimes funny person (Heh i try ;) ).

But this post isn't about me it's about the kindness and generosity shown by this community as a whole, for example today i had a nice hand written letter come with a bunch of free Ork bits (Runtbot, Battlewagon bits, weapons and transfers) from a great chap who just wanted to help out the building of my Orks. I shall not name names for the sake of embarrassment but you know who you are :)

Not only that but I've had free items added to trades by certain people and that has lead to me giving extras free of charge.

All of this is great, so long live the Oldhammer community.

- Chico

Orlygg

Very true!

I too have recieved several free items through well wishers and fellow enthusiasts. In fact, only the other day I was sent the missing standard pole from my skeleton chariot by an esteemed Oldhammer colleague of great sagitity and knowledge. Not the first time I have been so blessed either!

ardyer

I have benefited as well and more than once from people sending me a model or three that I needed for little or nothing in return. I think this sense of community is one of the greatest parts of Oldhammer.

Orlygg

I think the ethos has a lot to do with it. The shared experience. Working together to create something deeper and richer than tournement gaming. Additionally, we all have massive leadpiles which we never, ever paint, so sometimes its worthwhile helping out someone we know get a project off the ground rather than hording lead that will never get beyond storeage.

Long may it continue!

Chico

Well i wouldn't say we all have massive lead piles (I don't as 90% of mine is painted) but i would say that most people are willing to part/trade with items then on other sites dew to the lack of cut-throat ''i must have this new toy and will get it at any costs'' people that the Oldhammer scene brings.

Also because the scene is still young and fresh (Never thought i'd say that about old lead heh), not to mention small but growing ist more like a group of friends or family.

Orjetax

This is a great community. Everyone is helpful and friendly.

And just an absolute pleasure to deal with.

Fimm McCool

I can only echo what people have said previously. And each time I've swapped or traded stuff with people the generosity has been amazing. It's great to see from other trades going on that there are people around who attach a value to where a model can best be used and trading along different lines than the spurious (and often very costly) financial valuation placed on things by, for example, the ebay scene. But no, Chico, you're still not having the battlewagon just yet! ;)

Zhu Bajie

I think it's true of gamers in general, not just the community here.

Just remember to pay it forward, and the goodwill increases!

Fimm McCool

Zhu Bajie":16xhp40v said:

I dunno, I've been to a fair few tournaments where general goodwill has not been the order of the day. Most specifically those that insist on completely GW armies....

Asslessman

It's true it is always a pleasure to see how people have common interest in mind befire their personnal interest here.
I've recently bought an eternal champion set and received a d20 with it, I also won an adventurer set and the seller offered e an extra poney out of nowhere.

Best of all are the bloggers who take the time to promote others and help them get an audience. I've had the chance of being advertised in Orlygg's realm of chaos 80's. I got in one day the number of visitors I had had in 4 months before. This makes me want to contribute and help and make that community spirit go on.

Zhu Bajie

Fimm McCool":1cyjp0sb said:
Zhu Bajie":1cyjp0sb said:

I dunno, I've been to a fair few tournaments where general goodwill has not been the order of the day. Most specifically those that insist on completely GW armies....

Don't know anything about that scene. My opinion may have been coloured by my experiences with old-school D&D and gamebook people.

Chico

I go to plenty of GW Tournaments, you get all types up there. Sue you get the wankers with the half made aries designed to win you also get the people there to have fun.

Me winning a Most sporting player award:

182175_10151161736990149_1246229915_n.jpg

Great big grin en? that'll be the 5 beers hitting me.

Even though i' there to have fun i do win as well:

60749_10151486589570149_91079744_n.jpg

Mutantdale

I think it is more the oldhammer scene than the forums running newer miniatures..
I have received free items on here and LAF and also return the favour with other random people too. Even if its free arms when you don't expect them in there... A freebie always put a smile on my face and I hope it does the same when I do it to others
I am more inclined to help out a fellow Oldhammerer though.

MD

exilesjjb

I think your all spongers :lol:

Not really, I have seen a great community develop not just here, but on the blogosphere. It make the hobby so much more for guys like me who have no club. I now have games lined up with fellow bloggers

Gotta agree with the sentiments expressed on this one.

The goodwill and friendliness is a refreshing change from the at times humourless, anal rules lawyering/"meta" discussion and hostility that seems to plague some forums (without trying to generalise too much, but Im sure you know what I mean)

Ive been awfully slack painting wise in my first 20 years of warhammer, seeing the awesome work that is posted here makes me even more determined to get as much of the lead pile painted as possible!

Oh and thanks again for the extra stuntie arms Dale! *thumps fist to chest in respect*

Back