Greatest Citadel Artist (Warhammer 1E/2E)?

Who is your favourite Warhammer artist?

• John Blanche

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Gary Chalk

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Tony Ackland

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Dave Andrews

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Ian Miller

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Chris Achilleos

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Zhu Bajie

Thought I'd see who everyones favourite art-droid is. Why no 3rd Ed? Because the list would be too long and I'm not typing all that out, so I'm sticking to the artists who contributed to 1st and 2nd Editions for now.

phreedh

Chalk! Lichemaster and Orc's Drift wouldn't be what they are if it wasn't for the wonderful illustrations and covers!

Asslessman

I voted John Blanche with Ian Miller a very close second and it was no surprise to see them equal when the votes appeared. Saying their work has been a shock to me and has forged all my love for fantasy is an understatement.

The main thing I like in their drawings is that they are beautiful but the main beauty of them lies in what is not shown, look at Blanche's landscapes, look at the vibe form battle scenes or more atmospheric ones. They paint the details of an extremely vast and wonderful world in opposotion to some drawings you can have now of "HUGE orks with HUGE weapons" battling with a HUGE spacemarine with a HUGE chainsword.
I guess it takes composition sense or more simply talent to tell a very good drawer from an artist.

Thantsants

Chalk! Lichemaster and Orc's Drift wouldn't be what they are if it wasn't for the wonderful illustrations and covers!

This!

Although Chris Achilleos was a close second - all those WD covers, Fighting Fantasy stuff and completely unrelated - Dr Who Target novel covers! 8-)

Zhu Bajie

phreedh":3mce54nv said:

IIRC Chalk did the cover for Lichemaster, but the internals are Dave Andrews and Tony Ackland. Daves work is really similar looking to Garys, but a bit more grotty. Chalks is much cleaner in Orc's Drift.

Thantsants":3mce54nv said:
Although Chris Achilleos was a close second - all those WD covers, Fighting Fantasy stuff and completely unrelated - Dr Who Target novel covers! 8-)

The Dr. Who stuff is his best IMHO. He only really did the Ravening Hordes for Warhammer, and I think that was a generic piece that he'd done and just got used.

Really they all have their own strengths, and I wouldn't swap any of them.

phreedh

Zhu Bajie":23ymm3jf said:
phreedh":23ymm3jf said:

IIRC Chalk did the cover for Lichemaster, but the internals are Dave Andrews and Tony Ackland. Daves work is really similar looking to Garys, but a bit more grotty. Chalks is much cleaner in Orc's Drift.
My opinion is formed by the illustrations in the Lone Wolf books and Talisman. Had to name drop something Warhammery though. =)

Erny

My favorites were always Paul Bonner and Russ Nicholson. I think some of their work just edges into 2nd...

From the pole I'd probably have to go with Blanche but they are all great.

Grumdril

Difficult one. I've voted for Tony Ackland, but probably a lot of that is influenced by WFRP1e.

If it was to be favourite artist of them I'd say Chris Achilleos, but I don't really consider him a Warhammer artist, despite the Ravening Hordes cover (and some WD, etc, etc).

If it was to be the greatest artist rather than favourite I'd have to go for Blanche. I never really liked a lot of his work, or Ian Miller's, but given the mood they get into their work you've got to give them credit.

I wouldn't like to vote on 3rd ed, but Paul Bonner or Jes Goodwin probably.

Zhu Bajie

Erny":j0zds32j said:
My favorites were always Paul Bonner and Russ Nicholson. I think some of their work just edges into 2nd...

I don't think so. Happy to be corrected tho.

Grumdril":j0zds32j said:
I wouldn't like to vote on 3rd ed, but Paul Bonner or Jes Goodwin probably.

Actually I forgot all the Citadel Journal Skaven stuff Jes did for 2nd. :oops:

DaImp

Ian Miller gets my vote for having such a unique style. Disturbing and beautiful at the same time.

Back