Non GW/Citadel Miniatures

SonofThor

Are people using any non-classic GW and Citadel minis for Old Hammer? Just asking 'cause there are quite a few new manufacturers that have a classic feel to them. Like Goblin Factory (more D&D looking goblins) Black Tree Design which carries the old Harlequin Fantasy minis and plus Otherworld Miniatures.

Zhu Bajie

Yes. Otherworld, Red Box Games, SHQ (old Fantasy Warlord) Ral Partha. Been very tempted by some Darksword and Perry Miniatures stuff too.
Will definitely be getting some Thunderbolt Mountain at some point too...

SonofThor

I've got some of the Redbox Bone Back Goblins, they would make a great army. A bit small but I think it could work!

treps

Even if my collection is more Citadel focused I do use other miniatures too, and do not restrict myself to old stuff, mainly :
- Grenadier (Fantasy Warriors range from Nick Lund, Bob Naismith and Mark Copplestone)
- Heartbeaker (Kev Adams, Tim Prow, some Copplestone too)
- Harlequin (Kev Adams)
- Grendel (Kev Adams)
- Foundry (Kev Adams, Colin Dixon, The Perry twins, John Pickford)
- Reaper
- Ral Partha
- Wizards of the coasts (their D&D metal range ca 2000, and Chainmail before they go to prepainted plastic)
- miniatures from the new wave of micro ventures like mine (mainly Kev Adams and John Pickford miniatures) like Crooked Claw, Black Hat, 4A miniatures, WK, etc.
- Otherworld
- Forge World
- etc.

In fact everything that have the look and feel of the Old stuff or that could go well with them, as I am a big Kev Adams fan I try to use his miniatures, I do not like plastic miniatures, the only exceptions being some nice big kits (war machines) that GW does by now. For example I did buy the Arachnarok for my orcs and goblins army but will just use the spider with some nice older forest goblins (I do not like at all the look of orcs and goblins since Bryan Nelson, Kev Adams was the Only one Goblin Meister).

As each game must tell a story everything that can go in this story is welcome.

Bruno

Thantsants

Quite a few 4A Gobbo's, on the paint desk as we speak cos I fancied a change and they've been primed for far too long. Got some 4A Sea Demons and Swamp Hounds just because I liked them.

Must also get round to painting the rest of Dave King's excellent Bederken...

Got a few Ral Partha beasties as well I think as well as the Otherworld creatures for my Lustria project.

On the (imaginary) shopping list - Clam's Chaos Dwarfs, White Knight's Landsnecht Dwarfs and Goblins - Halflings are rather nice too. Loads of Otherworld stuff. I believe Andy at 4A will be releasing some mounted Goblins as well, sculpted by Kev Adams.

I've got a couple of Harlequin Barbarians and they're a bit massive compared to the citadel stuff, more like 32mm - what is everyone else's experience with them scale-wise?

Redbox stuff looks very nice and I'm also tempted by Mirliton (are they old Grenadier sculpts?), Ral Partha and Crooked Claw.

Erny

To me there is a difference between miniatures you can play old school games with (read any you jolly well like) and minis that have the old school look.

I'm very interested to see any miniatures being used for old school gaming but I must admit am particularly interested in miniatures that fit in with my existing old 80's citadel collections.

Most modern sculpts either seam to be very realistic or somewhat manga in their proportions. Often because they are multi-part plastic have the multi-part plastic range of poses. as well. These styles don't to my eye sit well within my collection. This usually means that I like old lead but there is a growing range of new sculpt or reissues that fit the bill nicely.

On the reissue front it is exciting to see that Foundry is casting up lost treasures once more so old citadel feudals, Vickings and hopefully even tribesmen may be available again.

You can get the Foli Works figures for fantasy warlord form Alternative armies if you email them. These are from about 1990 onwards but are nicely old school.

Mirliton has been mentioned but I should point out that many of the grenadier sculpts are available from Terrain warehouse based in my current home town of Royston http://www.battlezone-miniatures.co.uk/shop/category/2. There were always grenadier sculpts in my early armies so these are very welcome some day I'll collect the wood elf range.

Speaking of Royston there is also Otherworld miniatures, Richard is base just a couple of miles from my house and his miniatures certainly fall into the category of new miniatures that fit in nicely with my current collections. The Orcs are clearly different, the hob-goblins large (I still got them though, in fact a separate otherworld goblinoid army looms in my future) but the vermin and kobolds and monsters are just the ticket.

White knights and Clams are clear attempts to do homage to earlier sculpts and I can only hope to see more of them.

The Goblins on offer from Bruno, 4A, Crooked Claw and Black Hat fall into the old school but 4th ed bracket for me. No problem I collect 4th ed but they are just the other side of cartoony and a little big, though thats just going on the pictures and ironically many of the 4th ed gobbos were tiny. I'll be getting them all in due course no doubt. Funny that so many indy producers are looking at goblins.

The Black Hat ones would work well with the Harlequin nightlings which are a fair bit bigger than 4th ed night goblins which I collect and love. Now Harlequin are technically 90's reissues but have been reissued long enough perhaps to fall into the current batch. Great stuff here and it sort of bridges the 3rd 4th divide along with Heartbreaker if you can find them.

I'm trying to keep a set of links on the

treps

Erny":1pm44vdr said:
Funny that so many indy producers are looking at goblins.

There will never be enough Goblins made by Kev Adams ;)

Oh and I really do like to have armies with no duplicates in units, even in big like Goblins or Skavens.

Bruno

Blue in VT

I'm open other manufacturers for sure though I have only dabbled with ranges that are very close to the 3rd-4th ed feel...most of which have been mentioned above.

I love the WK Puff and slash style dwarfs..they fit very well with the old Marauder dwarfs...which are my all time favorite dwarfs

WKPikeandMarauderFront.jpg

Clam's Ewal Dvergar are also a wonderful compliment to the old Marauder MM90 Chaos Dwarfs...my all time favorite chaos figures... ;)

ClamMM90Combo.jpg

Lastly I'm loving the Brugelburg range from Lead Adventure Miniatures...they are great for that late 3rd...early 4th edition empire feel

HalberdGroupreduced.jpg

I do also love the Otherworld figures...they aren't cheap but they are fantastic...I don't think I would mix them in with my Warhammer units but they would be great for a dungeon crawl type game...hhmmmm...kind of like Gareth the Grot just posted up.

Cheers,

Blue

SonofThor

I like the Bruegelberg minis but unfortunately they are a bit expensive on top of having to pay the VAT and plus overseas shipping, I'm afraid I'll have to pass.
We should get a listing up of manufacturers who do Old-School style Warhammer minis!

Blue in VT

Ahh yeah...they aren't cheap that is true but they are great. And if you order from the US Alex will take the VAT off the price...so ask him for a quote if you are interested.

I know..because I just ordered the new crossbowmen today! :roll:

Cheers,

Blue

phreedh

WHAT?! No mention of Mega Miniatures and their selection of rather ace old Metal Magic. Mostly sculpted by Josef Ochmann, but also some Bob Olley in there as well as Werner Klocke and Michael Immig. All jolly nice, all cheap as chips!

Go check! Most of them look better in the flesh than on their site, there's some horrible painting I'm afraid.

Their old Grenadier stuff is too small to mix with Citadel's slotta figs though.

SonofThor

Blue, now you are tempting me! They are great minis, I keep going to the website and almost ordering from it. I just expect the wife to hit me over the head with a frying pan when I order. ;)

A lot of those minis would be great for Mordheim as well!

Back