What is Oldhammer?

Fimm McCool

They certainly have answers, not sure I'd add 'the' to them! Fortunately I don't care. If it floats my boat all well and good, if it doesn't then never mind, it's clearly floating someone else's. I don't feel that requires a naval battle (although it's always fun to have one!) :)

Zhu Bajie

Fimm McCool":wpoui6cl said:
Zhu Bajie":wpoui6cl said:
Fimm McCool":wpoui6cl said:
undisputedly Oldhammer

:lol:

See what I did there?

Would even a game of 1st Edition WHFB using only the miniatures that were available at the time be undisputedly Oldhammer? Or would it just be 1st edition hammer? ;)

Not even if you went to the Nottingham Folk Museum, and everyone playing changed their name by deed-poll to Richard, Rick or Bryan, drove there in a vintage 1979 Vauxhall Astra and only listened to Led Zeppelin would you qualify for undisputed Oldhammer.

Nope! Only if you were actually wearing an original, official Oldhammer t-shirt, would it be undisputedly Oldhammer. In fact, whilst wearing one of these fine and stylish garments, even doing the washing up, updating your Facebook status* or putting out the cat becomes Oldhammer. Undisputedly :grin:

*thanks JB.

I haven´t mentioned this before now, because, well , one doesn´t like to blow one´s own trumpet and all that, but I am in fact the Pope of Oldhammer. I have a strict doctrine of what is canon and what is heresy but if need be I can make it up on the fly with an ex cathedra statement. Personally anything I do is considered oldhammer - even my own poop is oldhammer, a fact which was recently ratified at the last conclave.

Contrary to the above misinformation, oldhammer t-shirts may only be worn on Mondays and Thursdays and never during the month of November, when black robes are to be worn.

All games should be played on a table 5 and three quarter feet by 4 and a half, with a stepped hill approximately in the middle of each players deployment zone.

Another myth is that all miniatures must be painted. In fact, official doctrine is that one miniature on each side should be unpainted, one should be a proxy toy/deodorant bottle/ornament and another should be recently damaged by a family pet. Failure to observe this, in particular by fielding an immaculately painted army, is grounds for excommunication.

Another myth, which we suspect originates from the anti-christ, is that true oldhammer games are played in a sportsmanlike fashion and free of power-gaming. This overlooks the fact that in the old days we were all insufferable teenagers. To reflect this fact, it is required of all practicing oldhammerers to engage in one or more of the following during the game: whining; arguing; crying; saying "my dad could beat up your dad" or "I´m going to get a rayleigh chopper for Christmas," loosing control of the volume of your voice or; drinking too much fizzy pop and being sick.

Yet another myth is that it is somehow befitting for oldhammerers to always be banging on about how great things were in the past. This is clearly wrong for the reason already mentioned - we are attempting to recreate our youthful years. And the young do not stand around harping on about the past. For this reason it is required of the faithful to be constantly doing the following: saying how cool new stuff is, especially focussing on anti-social trends of behaviour like new forms of Standing In People´s Way; extolling the virtues of expensive items with no serious utility or trainers with air bubbles in them; complaining about how awful old people are.

I am thinking of launching an apologetics ministry to combat all these misconceptions. But for now I hope this communication clears up the matter.

I can't get away from it facebook, forum aaaargh! What iz Oldhammer really? LMAO
:shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock:
It's almost time to try and sell my battle masters horses again I think. ;)

Galadrin

All hail the space pope!

Question: If we weren't married to out significant others in the 1980's, do we have to bump that back down to dating to be in line with the church teachings?

Funnily enough I was thinking about similar questions myself. Here is what I have come u with so far.

Teaching your kids to play warhammer is definately out. Originally, part of the attraction of Warhammer was that all those horrible monsers and arcane rules were something that your parents didnt understand and were distrustful of. Ergo it was cool. That is why I have recently ruled that anyone introducing their offspring to oldhammer must be burned at the steak.

There is a conservative faction in the church which says that having children is unoldhammery, and that getting married or even noticing the opposite sex already puts you on thin ice. I am currently adopting a more moderate policy on this, but I might take a more fire and brimstone approach at some point if the mood takes me.

Protist

I'm interested as to whether the Oldhammer Pope has a programme of selection and ordination for priests and/or acolytes... is their a training scheme or does one need to receive a calling from a higher (or lower... :twisted: ) power?

Furthermore has the pope declared any Saints yet?

I only ask since I am currently too far away from any of the 'Churches of The Hoby'(sic) and would like to dedicate a shrine and altar - my gaming table - upon which to perform rituals. I seek advice on whether I need a priest to dedicate the table to a saint with holy something or other

weismonsters":1h87x2l7 said:
Teaching your kids to play warhammer is definitely out. Originally, part of the attraction of Warhammer was that all those horrible monsters and arcane rules were something that your parents didnt understand and were distrustful of. Ergo it was cool. That is why I have recently ruled that anyone introducing their offspring to oldhammer must be burned at the steak.

Excuse me, but I bought 40kRT on the day of release with my pocket money. How did I know about scifi/fantasy model gaming and warhammer? My mum read me the hobbit and other fantasy stories from before I can remember AND bought the models for me! SO I am oldhammer BECAUSE my mum introduced it to me.

Fimm McCool

Go Curtis!

Yes me too actually, although I didn't really ever get into 40k until 3rd edition as I was more fond of Tolkien.

AZ88

I too was first introduced to the hobby by my mother. One of her friend's kids played, and she brought me home one of his old catalogues to have a flick through.

For me, Oldhammer is an approach to the game (fun and narrative) and a style of mini (anything that brings back the joy in minis from my youth, and that has bags of character).

I wouldn't dream of trying to define it, though. What brings on waves of nostalgia for me might not for another gamer, and what makes a fun game for me might be dull as ditch water for another.

I would count WK's stuff as Oldhammer, for example. But many wouldn't.

Zhu Bajie

Yes indeed. Mothers are an important wargaming role-model, where would the mighty Eeza Ugezod (or, indeed, any of us) be without them? And let's not forget, many stylish and original Oldhammer T-shirts come in popular and flattering womens styles too. They are undisputedly the perfect gift for the Oldhammer instigating woman in your life, be they your mother, casual acquaintance, schoolmate, work colleague,wife, girlfriend, neighbor, tv celebrity, random lady walking down the street, or even your fine self. And don't forget, they are fully endorsed by the Pope of Oldhammer* and guaranteed to make every moment an Oldhammer moment.

And with Valentines day approaching, doesn't your significant other, of any gender, deserve the romantic gift of a genuine Oldhammer T-shirt?

*for use on Mondays and Thursdays, conditions apply, church doctrine may change without notice, no guarantee of spiritual well-being or acceptance into the church implied. Your soul may be repossessed if you do not keep up payments. Including parental-units or members of the opposite sex in oldhammer activities may be heretical and may lead to excommunication.

AZ88

You know what, you're right. Nothing says angst-ridden teenage rebellion like buying and painting small numbers of toy soldiers. Not sure why I didn't see it before.

Look, wargames and model makeing are done by the switched on and clever kids at school, not the rebels who would rather be out drinking! I got into art college and my first job through my warhammer model making. Rebel? Conformist more like.

Back