F.I.S.T.

Aiteal

So the company I work for got bought over, and redundancies ensued, during the clean out the former owner said to me
"Michael, you've heard of Steve Jackson yeah?"
After establishing he meant the English Steve Jackson and not the American one, he told me how they once did a bit of work for the man way way back, although it never came to fruition, Steve asked them to prototype an interactive voice 'mobile gaming' system, complete with voice commands and so on.
He threw me a disk with some images of a brochure they used for the pitch to some investors. He's still trying to find the original audio files used in the system, but no luck so far.
But here's the images for anyone who might get a kick out of this thing. The eagle eyed among you might recognise the game's area code as Ireland (353), apparently this was to extend the original F.I.S.T. to outside of GB and aimed at the booming mobile phone market.

4kcOXsc.jpg

p3zfFKZ.jpg

ZXNMMQj.jpg

JOSxDLn.jpg

rTUJGPk.jpg

AkamzHG.jpg

Zhu Bajie

Wow! That's amazing. Thanks for sharing this obscure piece of Fistory. This would have been what? the early 2000s guessing by the stock photography?

Steve does still have at least some of the FIST audio, if not all of it. Could make a wonderfully innovative audio-gamebook app.

Aiteal

Early 2000's would probably fit yeah, the company was founded shortly before then trying it's hand at voice recognition systems. Something they didn't quite get right, initially designed for corporate telephone systems so callers could say the name of whoever they wanted to be connected to.
Uptake was low, so I dare say this was seen as a way to apply the technology to other areas.

I'm hoping to get my hands on the audio and IVR logic files, so I can piece it all back together, but it's a long shot that anything other than these images survived :(

Back