Realm of Law

Asslessman

Oh, and while we're at it, don't gods of Law (or at least Solkan) hve their own RoR :

SS850066.JPG

cleansingflame.jpg

The Avenging knights of the cleasing flame being the antithesis of the Disciples of the red redemption (purely chaotic), they're th eperfect candidates for law aren't they?

Asslessman

Gerner":35jx2w0e said:
I remember them being Solkan as well, so yes. :)

I tried to find a reference but couldn't find any, would you remember where this was stated?

EDIT : seems that tcould have been stated in Citadel Journal, issue Autumn 1985 (pages 15-16), wil lcheck tonight

Gerner

Asslessman":3nbmp2km said:
I tried to find a reference but couldn't find any, would you remember where this was stated?
EDIT : seems that tcould have been stated in Citadel Journal, issue Autumn 1985 (pages 15-16), wil lcheck tonight
So far I found it in an old Legion Issue (Warpstone Publication) https://archive.org/stream/legion-01/legion-01_djvu.txt (Search for Solkan).
Legion":3nbmp2km said:
Solkan's Knights of the Cleansing Flame

The Knights of the Cleansing Flame make up a large proportion
of the Law God's following. They are an extremely disciplined
group of warrior-monks who are dedicated to guarding holy sites.
They do this in preparation of 'a great event soon to come', the
details of which the priests zealously guard. These outposts are
usually located in the most desolate areas of mountains and deserts.

Complete devotion to Solkan and skills as a warrior are re-
quired to become one of his Templars. The recruit is immediately
subjected to a harsh and unforgiving lifestyle. Those that cannot
stand the pace desert or die.

The Templars lives are strictly regimental in every detail. Strict
military ranking is observed, and day to day life is filled with pray-
ing and training. Speaking is wholly restricted to orders and prayer.
On waking each morning, the Ritual of Purity is performed. This
consists of the shaving off all head hair and a full body examina-
tion for signs of Chaos. Were these to be found, the bearer would
not live to see the dawn.

All Templars wear the same uniform (plate armour) and carry
the same weapons, with their only markings being those of rank.
They hold the witch hunter followers of Solkan in disdain, for
although their work is important, their lifestyle is too undisciplined.
Groups of Knights are often sent out to fight, acting as a fanatical
elite force. This devotion often inspires those they fight along-
side, attracting fresh recruits to their ranks. However, the Order's
uncompromising stance tends to lead them into direct conflict with
many of their allies.
Technical it is fan-made, but I know that Hogshead choose to publish a compilation of the first Warpstone Magazines (which I would love to have).

Also, Sword of Cleansing Flame was a "spell" that Clerics of Solkan could cast in 1st edition WFRP & their holy symbol was a cleansing flame, but this is entirely fan-made.

Asslessman

Looks like the reward chart is that of the sensei which kinda makes sense in a way though I tend to see the sensei as far less narrow minded as Law servants...

Gerner

Asslessman":u80b8n54 said:
Looks like the reward chart is that of the sensei which kinda makes sense in a way though I tend to see the sensei as far less narrow minded as Law servants...
Keep in mind this is fan-made, so they probably took inspiration from RoC and RT. :)

Asslessman

Gerner":1qqqlh48 said:
Asslessman":1qqqlh48 said:
Keep in mind this is fan-made, so they probably took inspiration from RoC and RT. :)

Sure I get it and think it's a pretty good start actually, I would only change a couple of things though, the "redeemer" rait for instance is very evocative of the sensei cleansing mutants with forgiveness and love but that doesn't fit the servants of Law imho.

Gerner

Asslessman":13erwqty said:
The "redeemer" rait for instance is very evocative of the sensei cleansing mutants with forgiveness and love but that doesn't fit the servants of Law imho.
I completely agree. Have always seen law (mostly Solkan) as ruthless followers who follow their god with no room for compassion or understanding.

Coopdevil

One concept that crops up in Moorcock's work (exactly which one I can't remember) is that the gods of Law are actually just other gods of Chaos - this is because Chaos contains all possibilities so contains the possibility for it's polar opposite, and therefore Chaos must birth entities hostile to it's very nature.

The other important concept is that a victory for Law is as hostile to mankind's survival as would be that of Chaos. In a true Law universe everything is frozen in stasis ever unchanging, or perhaps something like the heat death of the universe.

The rumours about WFB9 suggest that GW are introducing a "Space Marine like" faction for the game which will have similar qualities to the 40K Marines, probably being expensive points wise and modelled as superheavyarmoured elite, and relatively easy to paint. This reminds me of the old Paladins and Lords of Battle from the 1980s ranges so might be anti-Chaos fanatics and similar to the sort of things being discussed here.

Also, the angry, sadistic, racist, xenophobic, genocidal homophobe Jehovah of the Old Testament strikes me as the archetypal God of Law.

Coop

Asslessman

This is excatly my thoughts Coop, I do not believe that alignemnt is to be seen on a single dimension with good on one end and bad on the other, pure chaos and law are opposite concepts and everything around is partly chaotic and partly ordered.

Same for the new "good" chaos warriors, immediately made me think of Law knights.

If i make a pure Law warband one of the members will be an empty suit of armour animated by pure law, and another will just be a big crystal that spins around firing off stasis spells :grin:

And Judge Dredd, but like the fantasy version. "I AM LAW" he will say. All the time. To noone in particular.

Zhu Bajie

Alignment graph from AD&D:
alignment-chart.jpg

The original split in OD&D was Law/Chaos which mapped onto Good/Evil. By AD&D this became a little more complex, but the early Warhammer (pre RoC) stuff seems to adhere to the Saintly / Demoniac

Captain Crooks":sv6ux40t said:
If i make a pure Law warband one of the members will be an empty suit of armour animated by pure law, and another will just be a big crystal that spins around firing off stasis spells :grin:

I really do like the Lawful equivalent of Chaos Spawn as abstract crystaline structures. Animated suits of armour are interesting... robots / Mechanicus and the Machine Spirit.

Erny

We are getting dangerously close to Modrons here Zhu.

I always imagined my lawful daemons as stasis inducing rays of light so not a million miles away from CC'c crystal. Rays of light are hard to model and are bit boring though. You only win with law by sucking all the fun out of the game and making everyone leave their miniatures where they set them up. The real avatar of law is the diorama maker.

ardyer

Zhu Bajie":19h6hxbl said:
Modrons!

I was imagining maybe something like this, but floating.

Platonic_solids.jpg

Hmmmm....those look an awful lot like giant dice, which are all about random chance, which would be the antithesis of law :lol:

Asslessman

Yep, Sphere is the only perfectly Lawful shape, it has an infinite number of simetry axis and you can turn it around any combination of 3 perpendicular axis and you still get the same shape, it's the shape that has the highest volume/surface ratio possible and it's the form most materials tend to at many scales (planets, stars or liquids in space, even erosion will fade all shapes to leave round angles everywhere)

It's the most boring shape and therefore the best candidate.

Zhu Bajie

ardyer":161alsoi said:
Zhu Bajie":161alsoi said:
Modrons!

I was imagining maybe something like this, but floating.

Platonic_solids.jpg

Hmmmm....those look an awful lot like giant dice, which are all about random chance, which would be the antithesis of law :lol:

They're all blank. Each side is exactly the same. Perfect order.

Only weirdo chaotic deviants would put numbers on them.

Plus they're cheap!

Back