Realm of Law

Discuss anything related to miniature games not covered in other forums

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:05 pm

Realm of Law

So seeing the wonderful Legacy Warband come together under the theme of a Lawful warband, and re-reading Steve Caseys interview with Bryan Ansell, in which Bryan saieth:

I also talked to John (blanche) about illustrations of four Gods of Law. It’s possible that sketches were done: if so, I have no memory of what they looked like. The Gods of Law were going to be even more ferocious than the Gods of Chaos.

Makes me wonder what would The Realm of Law might have been like, and if it were possible to 'reconstruct' or make it up. we have some evidence:

The Daemons of Law(angels)

There are hints at a mythos of Law and a Nameless God in the leaflet accompanying the Heroic Adventurers
Image.

Maybe The Emperor from John Blanches Prince and Woodcutter:

I imagine that many gifts would be bonuses to Leadership, super-shiny golden armour, Steadfastness. vaguely Arthurian / Byzantine somewhat authoritarian, bonuses for noble conduct. etc.

What say you?
Keep Kalm and Pass Kool Tests.

Post Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:15 pm

Re: Realm of Law

I say this is one brilliantly inspiring idea...

Just to be sure and corrected but aren't some of the known gods like Morr and all gods of Law or are they just "good" aligned gods and not the antithesis of the 4 chaos gods as we know them ?
I was feeling like digging what kind of treatment Zuvassin and Malal would have got if they had had RoC books but Making stuff for the gods of law, well, Zhu, once again your ambition is to be praised !

I am REALLY interested in doing this. Shall we try to compile every info we can (from publication or from ol' timers) and then fill up the blanks using nothing but greymatter, pen and paper (and this forum) ?

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:10 am

Re: AW: Realm of Law

Here you go:
Gods of Law (Lexicanum)
Kaleb Daark's Quest was to find the keys that would unlock Arianka's coffin.
Last edited by Niibl on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:48 am

Asslessman wrote:I say this is one brilliantly inspiring idea...

Just to be sure and corrected but aren't some of the known gods like Morr and all gods of Law or are they just "good" aligned gods and not the antithesis of the 4 chaos gods as we know them ?
I was feeling like digging what kind of treatment Zuvassin and Malal would have got if they had had RoC books but Making stuff for the gods of law, well, Zhu, once again your ambition is to be praised !

I am REALLY interested in doing this. Shall we try to compile every info we can (from publication or from ol' timers) and then fill up the blanks using nothing but greymatter, pen and paper (and this forum) ?

No the Gods of Law are different than the good gods. They never really got developed and the only one that still gets mentioned is Solon. I think there were three of them. I seen to remember that they embodied stasis in the same way that Chaos represented change.

I agree, it sounds like a cool project.

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:07 am

Thanks for the correction !

I've just found this:

"Alluminas- Opposed to Tzeentch, since stasis and change are inimical.
Solkan- Opposed to Khorne, as one champions unfocused violence and the other is for extremely focused, prejudiced violence.
Arianka- Opposed to Nurgle, since she is the goddess of self-discipline and improvement, in stark contrast to Nurgle's decay and stagnation.
Somorphia- Opposed to Slaanesh, since she is the goddess of eternal purity and beauty and Slaanesh... isn't."

in this thread

Isn't this when we summon Graeme and Bryan ?

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:36 pm

Those daemons of law models reminded me of this ceiling mosaic in the chapel at the American cemetery in Cambridge (where a lot of american WW2 servicemen from the air forces are buried); there's something about the angels flying amidst the bombers and fighter planes which is deeply sinister.

There is nothing cuddly or warm about law. The gods of law are cold, and their angels to be feared.
My oldhammer blog: Where the sea pours out

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:42 pm

Absolutely. If you look at the Elric novels unrestrained Law is just as perilous to mortal life as unrestrained Chaos.

As an aside, am I the only one that thinks the Tyranids are the "Army of Law" in 40K?
Image ImageImageImage

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:21 pm

Jeff McC wrote:
As an aside, am I the only one that thinks the Tyranids are the "Army of Law" in 40K?

That's a very interesting observation. If the tyranids follow the 'Aliens' trope of a perfect organism designed purely to kill and survive, then i suppose you could say that in this perfect state they have achieved the goal of Law, which is, according to the one source i own on the subject, WHFRP 1st ed, "all change and development would cease, and nothing would ever change".

However, are tyranids the perfect organism? I don't know a huge amount about them but don't they evolve constantly to adapt to their situation and environment? They come in different shapes and forms engineered to perform different tasks, so I'm not sure if they qualify.

There is one race that doesn't seem to change (apart from cosmetically) that lives for but one purpose and never stops to think of the whys and the wherefores... a strong race... and vast race... a GREEN race ;)

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:40 pm

Ahhhh great stuff!

lenihan wrote: there's something about the angels flying amidst the bombers and fighter planes which is deeply sinister.

I concur. That also reminds me of the Angels of Le Mons, the wikipedia article on that is quite good. Gets close to John Blanches Imperial Gothic Catholicism. Maybe the Cult of Sigmar and the Imperial Cult are already pretty close to something approaching the Gods of Law - the pinnacle of 'humanity' and destroying the psychic / mutants? Are the Gods of Law just other Warp Entities like the Gods of Chaos - psychic beings feeding off mans / elves / dwarves latent psychic energy, or are they something else entirely?

I'd forgotten about Arianka - nice one Niibl! She's definitely got that sleeping beauty vibe. Seems a bit odd having a God trapped, but perhaps that's part of her power, driving people to great deeds and fanatacism in her name but she can only effect the world in very minor ways, if at all. The crystal thing makes me think of stasis magic, zones of sanctuary, cure light wounds and that kind of thing.

Also what if the manifestation of the god itself were the Crystaline structure (very Ordered, Lawful particles), and the female inside is just an illusion? Perhaps the Crystals of Arianka project whatever best motivates the individual to noble deeds, so in Kalebs case it's a saucy minx in her nightie, but for Borax Bloodaxe maybe some long lost golden heirloom of the Dwarves, or something?
Keep Kalm and Pass Kool Tests.

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:11 pm

Many thanks to Patatovitch for having compiled the info : http://verrahrubicon.free.fr/dieu_ordre.html
Next

Return to General Discussions