Alternate Hob-goblin and goblins

Discuss anything related to miniature games not covered in other forums

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:59 pm

Re: Alternate Hob-goblin and goblins

Naagruz wrote:Finding decent calvary for hobgobs is the biggest problem. It's not that there are no models; just that there are no good models. Prove me wrong please! :D

The citadel temple dogs are just too expensive, and even when they do pop up on ebay, the Hobgoblin rider is rare, so I was planning on something like this.
And old monster's starter set hobgob on the big citadel temple dog and some old Vendel (now Sgt Major in the US) royal wolf riders on bushido Shisas.
If i take the top of the vendel goblin hat off and green stuff a metal skull cap with spike and fur trim it will hopefully look ok, maybe even attempt to make a few sode/spaldurs for the shoulders to re-inforce the japanese/mongol theme as the basic wolf riders are more like unarmoured huns.
Attachments
shisa.png
shisa.png (1.82 MiB) Viewed 3567 times
Image Image

Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:45 am

I think I like the look of the Wargames Factory Orcs for use as Hobgoblins. I never really liked the red era chaos dwarf Hobgoblins to be honest. This illustration from John Blanche is really what I have in mind when I think of Hobgoblins:

The wargames factory Orcs:

The kit comes with bows, which is pretty useful. Additionally they have separate torsos so they would be easy to convert to wolf riders. I suspect that you could mix them with the current GW plastic wolf boyz.

Hands are a little on the naff side though, but I could work around that. Review below.

Edit: http://garganthar.blogspot.ie/2012/07/review-orc-warband-from-wargames.html

Post Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:10 am

Dunno if this is the right place, but how does these hobgobs hold up scalewise? Prefably compared to old pre slotta Citadel and 80's gobbos and lesser goblins. Don't need pics, just your word for it :)

http://www.alternative-armies.com/produ ... in-raiders

Cheers,
Thomas

Post Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:34 pm

I am sure some of the lads bought these. I would suggest you ask on the Facebook page, you are more likely to get a response. Personally I love these AA minis.

Post Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:11 am

theottovonbismark wrote:I am sure some of the lads bought these. I would suggest you ask on the Facebook page, you are more likely to get a response. Personally I love these AA minis.

Much obliged and will do. I've actually posted on here to avoid the Facebook page, which seems to have drowned in trade and eBay links and talks of how to go on, and also to become more active on the forum rather than browsing facebook all day :)

And yes, AA have many interesting sculpts. I seem to recall they had a Kev Adams goblin bundle but that might be another company all together.

Cheers,
Thomas

Chaos God of Nudehammer

Post Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:33 am

They are a perfect scale match for the C36 HoBgobbos, the only thing I don't like is the high postage cost of AA (£5)

Post Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:18 am

Thanks Chico, guess the forum hasn't died yet :)

I'm also comtemplating on their barbarians as thugs but I have enough too paint, so it'll be when I have to build an auxilliary unit. With a house move pending I find it hard to get any painting in and find myself overcompensating by buying more stuff for the drawers :lol:

//Thomas

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:29 am

Possibly the best-hidden orcs ever, in the Black Books "we don't want you to buy our stuff" sense. It seems that Scotia Grendel now sell Black Tree's "Legions of the Realm" (no, no, in no way that other LotR...!) miniatures, including the orcs -
http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Products/i ... 46_203_204

The ones that Grom's showcase over on Frothers called the finest range of orcs ever made - unfortunately Scotia's photos are a bit pants, so I can't really tell. Tempted though...

Post Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:04 am

Found out last night that these are still for sale from classicminiatures.net
Nice big Bob Olley sculpts with a eastern feel to them, perfect for big hobgoblins

Image Image

Donator

Post Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:50 pm

Wow...those look great...and amazingly well painted!

So many great figures...so little time!

Cheers,

Blue
3rd Edition will rise AGAIN!!!!
My Painting collecting...and sometimes gaming Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions