Orctober Fest

Fimm McCool

Some characters to relieve the monotony of the production line... if Orks could be said to be monotonous! Kaptin Komplex and the Borgaaarghz:

IMG_1036.JPG

Erny

littleleadperson":2ka679ih said:
Loving the SC orks Fimm! I only have one Orc who is not Citadel and new(er)hammer gobbos unfortunately :(

No reason not to join in. Orctober isn't just about painting give us a list of what you'd like to collect or how you see orcs/orks. Draw us something, show your modern gobbos what ever.

Nice Orks Fimm, yellow, green and purple are always going to work well even without the early 90's reference. To join in fully you should stick the Orctober fest banner up and if you want a chance at any free old lead sign up on the original thread:

http://ernysplace.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/orctober.html

Orctober challenge for me:

10 Evil Sunz Battlemaster orcs to finish off my 21 strong unit.

12 Arrer Boyz

12 Skull Splitters

10 Big 'Uns - some with with standards

A touch up of the hastily painted Hero Orcs.

A Warboss and his 2 bodyguards and mebbe the scout.

That would actually then be... wait for it... ALL MY ORCS PAINTED! YES! THE WHOLE ARMY COMPLETE!

Fimm McCool

Bluey Zarzov":v0c3e8kv said:
That would actually then be... wait for it... ALL MY ORCS PAINTED! YES! THE WHOLE ARMY COMPLETE!

I think you're forgetting something... no army is EVER complete! Allow me to direct you attention to this page from the Citadel catalgoue... ;)

That unit' looking tasty though. I especially like the banner. Hand-painted?

Asslessman

Fimm McCool":16f1rwnp said:
Bluey Zarzov":16f1rwnp said:

I think you're forgetting something... no army is EVER complete! Allow me to direct you attention to this page from the Citadel catalgoue... ;)

That unit' looking tasty though. I especially like the banner. Hand-painted?

AHAHA Fimm is so right, only tournament players have COMPLETE armies, with models all tight to fit in those limited number of points they have. Nah real men have hoard sof units and pieces for which they have to make their own rules with tons of super bad but super cool characters.

Yes, the banner is hand painted.

I did use print outs for the shields. My orc army is mostly composed of Heroquest, Battlemasters and GW standard plastics and the plastic modkit and is really speed painted rather than finely detailed like my other armies.

It really will be complete. It really ... really will.

*Note, please do not send me more orcs..

8-)

Don't worry Assless - You will get photographic evidence of the models that require the special rules.

Fimm McCool

matthewjksullivan":3piwxess said:
how did orcs become green?

My understanding from GW's perspective is that Orcs were a kind of browny colour until one of the studio team painted his green. From then on all Orcs were green. Can't remember who it was who started the trend or where I read that though...

Scalene

I can't believe I've never noticed that fungus has so many classic orc features: two protruding teeth, small piggy nose, pointed ears, green skin, head wider at bottom than top. Other than the two horns, it's an orc. I think we should start a quest to find the first "anatomically modern" orc to be advertised in a magazine or catalogue. Matthew's blog shows Harboth's from mid-1985, but does anyone have an earlier example?

Zhu Bajie

Warhammer 2nd Edition / Jan. 1984

Warhammer-second-edition-cover.jpg

John Blanche cover, green orcs.

White Dwarf 53 / May 1984:

White%20Dwarf%2053.jpg

Are they "anatomically modern"? Also Haraborths boys seem to lack the musculature of the contemporary Warhammercraft orc.

This issue also has an article called The Naked Orc for D&D by Rufus Wedderburn, which describes Soldier Orcs having "various skin colours [that] will be darker shades of green, brown and even purple", which was illustrated in glorious black and white by John Blanche that have many features of later citadel orcs.

No mention of "greenskins" in Ravening Hordes, uses the term "goblinoids" for Orcs, Goblins and Hobgoblins (who are usually orangey yellow).

Scalene

Good post zhu. I think the Wd cover orcs are not quite there. They don't have the two enlarged tusks, and their noses are more of an ordinary shape, rather than the later upward triangle with two horizontal nostrils. I think what I'm trying to work out is what was the first example of what is definitely an "Orc" and not any other type of goblinoid. Looking at the stuff of legends site, I think the C series Perry orcs from 83-84 pass that test. Is there anything from pre-83 that could be a candidate. The WFB2 cover for me also shows what are definitely "orcs".

Scalene

I think I meant "modern" in the sense of the core oldhammer period, not literally contemporary. In my frame of reference, I got into the hobby in about 86, when most of the available models were post slotta 84-86. For me that's a "proper" orc.

Back