Oldhammer Ahoy

Harry

Even though the dust has not even settled on 'Bring Out Your Lead 2014' our thoughts have already turned to BOYL 2015.
Something I have always wanted to do is Warhammer Ahoy.
There seems to be a growing enthusiasm for this as an idea for next years BOYL.
Those of us who travelled home together from this years event had an enthusiastic conversation and through a lot of great ideas around.
Rather than hijack Zhu's thread completely I thought I would start another thread specifically for those interested in being involved in a big old game of Warhammer Ahoy at next years BOYL to throw their ideas around.
So here it is .... Have at it.

I have been collecting bits for this for a while and have the starting points to do:
A Nippon Junk.
A Norse Longship.
A (Generic) Undead Ship
A Chaos Dwarf Hovercraft ... that already exists but I have no crew for it.
and a generic Pirate ship.
I also plan to build some scenery and do a couple of Sea Monsters.

So you can see why I am starting to think about this early.
One of the above every 2 months.
I will post everything up on here somewhere as I go to hopefully motivate others into climbing on board. :grin:

Just so folks have some sort of guidelines as to the size of ships and crews:
The generals compendium version of the rules has:

Small ships : 4-10'' Min 5 Crew / Max 25 Crew / Max 1 War Machine
Medium ships : 11-18''Min 8 Crew / Max 40 Crew / Max 2 War Machines
Large ships : 18+'' Min 10 Crew / Max 50 Crew / Max 3 War Machines

These numbers are per deck! But I think we should make these numbers per ship and forget multiple decks and to keep games small and make the crew painting less of a challenge we should reduce the crew maximums a bit.

Small 5-20 Crew
Medium 8-25 Crew
Large 10-30 Crew

NOTE: These numbers are NOT individual figures but a total of unit strength. All infantry and even single Characters have a unit strength of 1, Ogres, Trolls, etc. have a unit strength of 3 and War Machines have a unit strength of 3 .... other stuff has a unit strength = to the starting wounds.

Harry

Oh, and I shall be mostly talking like a Pirate from now on. :grin:

If any of ye be wantin to talk Pirate ...

Double up on all your adjectives and you'll be bountifully bombastic with your phrasing. Pirates never speak of "a big ship", they call it a "great, grand ship!" They never say never, they say "No nay ne'er!"

• Drop all your "g"'s when you speak and you'll get words like "rowin'", "sailin'" and "fightin'".

• Dropping all of your "v"'s will get you words like "ne'er", "e'er" and "o'er".

• Instead of saying "I am", sailors say, "I be". Instead of saying "You are", sailors say, "You be". Instead of saying, "They are", sailors say, "They be". Ne'er speak in anythin' but the present tense!

Hints an' Tips

If it be helpin', start yer sentence wi' a "Arr, me hearty," in a deep, throaty voice — ye'll find that the rest be comin' much easier.

Vocabulary

In which ye'll find words submitted by many pirates o'er the years, an' which comprise a loose piratical dictionary.
• Ahoy: Hey!
• Avast: Stop!
• Aye: Yes
• Black spot: to be 'placin' the black spot' be markin' someone for death
• Booty: treasure
• Buccanneer: a pirate who be answerin' to no man or blasted government
• By the Powers!: an exclamation, uttered by Long John Silver in Treasure Island!
• Cat o' nine tails: whip for floggin' mutineers
• Corsair: a pirate who be makin' his berth in the Med-...Medi-...that sea 'tween Spain and Africa, aye!
• Davy Jones' Locker: the bottom o' the sea, where the souls of dead men lie
• Doubloons: pieces of gold...
• Fiddlers Green: the private heaven where pirates be goin' when they die
• Furner: a ship which be yer own, not one ye steal an' plunder
• Gentlemen o' fortune: a slightly more positive term fer pirates!
• Go on the account: to embark on a piratical cruise
• Grog: A pirate's favorite drink
• Jack: a flag or a sailor
• Jolly Roger: the skull and crossbones, the pirate flag!
• Keelhaul: a truly vicious punishment where a scurvy dog be tied to a rope and dragged along the barnacle-encrusted bottom of a ship. They not be survivin' this
• Landlubber: "Land-lover," someone not used to life onboard a ship
• Lass: A woman
• Lily-livered: faint o' heart
• Loaded to the Gunwales (pron. gunnels): drunk
• Matey: A shipmate or a friend
• Me hearty: a friend or shipmate
• Me: My
• Pieces o' eight: pieces o' silver which can be cut into eights to be givin' small change
• Privateer: a pirate officially sanctioned by a national power
• Scallywag: A bad person. A scoundrel.
• Scurvy dog!: a fine insult!
• Shiver me timbers!: an exclamation of surprise, to be shouted most loud
• Son of a Biscuit Eater: a derogatory term indicating a bastard son of a sailor
• Sprogs: raw, untrained recruits
• Squadron: a group of ten or less warships
• Squiffy: a buffoon
• Swaggy: a scurvy cur's ship what ye be intendin' to loot!
• Swashbucklin': fightin' and carousin' on the high seas!
• Sweet trade: the career of piracy
• Thar: The opposite of "here."
• Walk the plank: this one be bloody obvious
• Wench: a lady, although ye gents not be wantin' to use this around a lady who be stronger than ye
• Wi' a wannion: wi' a curse, or wi' a vengeance. Boldly, loudly!
• Yo-ho-ho: Pirate laughter.

Asslessman

Harry, ya foolish crazy ya ! Ya seein' my thumb right now? Well it be bloody big and up right now like it ne'er be !

Just John

I'm all on for this, although I may refrain from the stereotypical Pirate talk and go down the route of taking a bunch of lads a Viking instead. Considering either the easy route of 2 longships for my Foundry & Citadel vikings or a slightly more complex goblin ship. Will have to think about it.

Inspiration to be found here http://www.spiritofthegame.org.uk/warhammerahoy/

Coopdevil

I'm thinking the undead hulk from Fire on the Water that has already sunk might be more in keeping with my modelling skills :)

Is there any way of getting Warhammer Ahoy without having to sign up to yet another yahoo group I'm not really interested in?

Coop

Vyper

As discussed in the car on the way back, I'm going to try my best to bring some kind of Lizardman force on a giant turtle with me! I have no idea if that will work rules-wise, but I'm sure we can make it fit. :grin:

Do we have an 'official' set of rules to work towards regarding ship sizes, amount of crew and so on?

Just John

I've signed up for the group. I'll get the rules. That's all I'm saying on the matter ;) I like your idea for your ship BTW :grin:

Erny

The resurected ship is also very Moorcock. One of many memorable bits in the Corum Trilogies.

I'll copy and paste my excited thoughts from the previous thread here:

"We probably need to have some games and see what works best before settling on a game format for the weekend.
A series of one on one or small fleet actions sounds great.
a single large fleet game sounds great.
An amphibious assault also sounds great.

Once we know what works best we can decide on an aim for the day/days.

To add my enthusiastic thoughts I really enjoyed the aerial combat in the siege game, the height levels and various speeds were easy to work out and not a chore as I remembered. It got me thinking, with a sea to play on what about depth levels?

Bound hosts of dolphins may not do much to a ship but they could defeat the sea serpent that could crush a ship. Feline sealions, hippocampus , merefolk, seatrolls and other monsters of the deep have all got to be fair game.

Add in reefs and islands and we could be looking at some serious Pirates of the shifting isles fun. I just need to work out how sea elves can compete with cannon."

Oh and Sea Elves are too cultured to talk like a pirate...

Erny

Vyper":1q4cn7c6 said:
As discussed in the car on the way back, I'm going to try my best to bring some kind of Lizardman force on a giant turtle with me! I have no idea if that will work rules-wise, but I'm sure we can make it fit. :grin:

Do we have an 'official' set of rules to work towards regarding ship sizes, amount of crew and so on?

Very maneuverable but slow? Perhaps the crew could be a more Marine Iguana like species so they can hold their breath better when the turtle dives?

Fimm McCool

Hooray! There's a thread! :) As we discussed, since I have an Orc crew and they got a new captain at BOYL I will be doing an Orcish hulk, with a twist. ;) Also planning a Nurgle vessel in the form of a disgustingly decayed giant squid/kraken. Attempts to find a suitably large and detailed plastic toy have failed so far so it looks like this will be a custom sculpt of epic proportions... and not Space Marine epic!

Yo ho ho, and if I might be so bold as to venture a bottle of rum into the bargain!

This project has me like an excited dog in a new garden not knowing what to bark at next. So many options for this one it makes me 'ead spin.

After some quick brainstorming I am sure I can make 1 or 2 of these:

Ork DrillaKilla - Basically an insane Ork suicide ship with primary feature being its ridiculously dangerous Drill:

photo_38.jpg

One of these, who would not want one of these babies on the board:

351547_md-Black%20Kraken,%20Chaos%20Dwarf,%20Dreadfleet,%20Ship.JPG

Ork Hulk, this is from my blog, now imagine a bigger and more insane version:

img_62821.jpg

Slann Skyships perhaps:

zodanga-ship-by-ryan-church.jpg

You get the idea. :)

Thantsants

Hmm quite liking the look of Darkland Ironclads -also from Lone Wolf!

Would love to do something with my Slann though - then there's the Dark Elf Castle on a Sea Monster thing....

Decisions, decisions!

Or rather I be 'avin' an 'ard time makin me minds up, arrrrrrr.

About time we got some Man o War going too.

@ Coopdevil - Some of those toys might be useful indeed. Will have to check out my local Smiths tomorrow for candidates :)

Thantsants":oz211ieh said:
Hmm quite liking the look of Darkland Ironclads -also from Lone Wolf!

Would love to do something with my Slann though - then there's the Dark Elf Castle on a Sea Monster thing....

Decisions, decisions!

Or rather I be 'avin' an 'ard time makin me minds up, arrrrrrr.

About time we got some Man o War going too.

Those Ironclads look easy enough to knock up, but using the American Civil War era Ironclads would make good starting points. You can get kits in model shops like this, just need to find a good scale fit:

LIN77257.jpg

+1 on the Man O'War, that game was a little gem once you had a spare table to support the amount of red era cardboard templates required to play it.

Right, i'm committed, just bought two model ships. Probably going to be marienburgers or maybe Bret's or Empire, by the looks of things there is going to be lost of enemies to try and sink!

Erny

OK if you're all going Man O War on us and getting your orc drillas and iron clads out I'm going to have to start painting up dragons.

Erny":37vqz3zx said:
OK if you're all going Man O War on us and getting your orc drillas and iron clads out I'm going to have to start painting up dragons.

By all means, if memory serves the Sea Dragons are the biggest of all Dragons in the Warhammer world. Also required is a giant dodgy bearded Neptune looking merman with a pitchfork. Let's just see how much cool stuff we can churn out in a year!

youre-going-to-need-a-bigger-boat.jpg

Erny

I don't know about big but I have some of the dragon riders to paint up,so thin an waspish more like. I think if I paint the stands up as just rocky outcrops I can use them on land but with the addition of a sub-base I can model waves crashing against the rocks.

I also now have visions of clam shell like sea chariots pulled by seahorses or dolphins, I could even use real shells.

Erny":25k8gp01 said:
I don't know about big but I have some of the dragon riders to paint up,so thin an waspish more like. I think if I paint the stands up as just rocky outcrops I can use them on land but with the addition of a sub-base I can model waves crashing against the rocks.

I also now have visions of clam shell like sea chariots pulled by seahorses or dolphins, I could even use real shells.

Real shells is definitely the way to go. You could have an Elf dragon roost ship to act as a sort of aircraft carrier. :)

Back