OOP, PDFS & COPYRIGHT ©

Discuss anything related to miniature games not covered in other forums

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:56 pm

Re: OOP, PDFS & COPYRIGHT ©

Hehe, copyright law and the laws about electronic copies are actually a lot more nuanced than what is being portrayed in this thread. But still I get the point. This thread is as much a show for GW as it is for any forum-goer.
90's Hammer!
SIGN MY GUESTBOOK

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:00 pm

Galadrin wrote:Hehe, copyright law and the laws about electronic copies are actually a lot more nuanced than what is being portrayed in this thread. But still I get the point. This thread is as much a show for GW as it is for any forum-goer.

True, but erring on the side if not sharing is never going to get you in trouble, either.

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:41 pm

ardyer wrote:True, but erring on the side if not sharing is never going to get you in trouble, either.

Certainly, no argument there! If anything, because copyright laws are actually so complex and thorny in practice (dependent upon your country, potentially international agreements, fair use etc), there is even more reason to stay out of the grey areas. Saying it is more nuanced than a simple reading is not to say everything is suddenly fair game ;)
90's Hammer!
SIGN MY GUESTBOOK

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:01 am

I'm sorry, but I find this statement made about recasting a bit strange,

DAMAGE TO COLLECTORS MARKET
While this is difficult to prove, flooding the market with cheap (or free) versions of out-of-print materials will decrease demand for original product. This will devalue your collection over time. Would you recast the Citadel Giant in resin and send it to someone? Moreover once recast miniatures have a habit of proliferating, you might recast a figure for your own army, thinking it's fine as it is personal use, but when you sell your collection, it's passed on to someone who is non-the-wiser.

This is a "personal opinion", not a legal issue!

There is nothing illegal about recasting a product that has been bought....so long as you don't profit from it.

It's like saying to someone "You can't fit an after market part to your car, coz the next guy who buys it will be getting an inferior car"..........get real!

I'm by no means advocating selling or trading recast minis here, but why should we be scared about sharing skills about how to do it? It's not illegal!

Shouldn't we only be concerning ourselves about legal issues, not personal one's?

My two cents.
My Blog: Mr Papafakis
Stuff I'd like to have: Wishlist
Stuff I'd like you to have: Trades

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:50 pm

optimus wrote:
There is nothing illegal about recasting a product that has been bought....so long as you don't profit from it.

It's like saying to someone "You can't fit an after market part to your car, coz the next guy who buys it will be getting an inferior car"..........get real!

I'm by no means advocating selling or trading recast minis here, but why should we be scared about sharing skills about how to do it? It's not illegal!

Shouldn't we only be concerning ourselves about legal issues, not personal one's?

My two cents.

Okay, standard disclaimer: I'm am American ip attorney, but copyright law is largely harmonized across Europe and the USA. However, your local laws may vary.

First, it is a misconception that profit is required for copyright infringement. It is not. Recasting is illegal whether it's for your own personal use our for public sale.

Second, there is something called "contributory infringement." If you encourage others the infringe, that potentially carries its own liability. That's the risk of telling others how to do it.

Third, if you are un-happy with the current state of copyright laws, please write your local legislative representative and tell them it needs to change.

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:57 pm

ardyer wrote:Okay, standard disclaimer: I'm am American ip attorney, but copyright law is largely harmonized across Europe and the USA. However, your local laws may vary.

First, it is a misconception that profit is required for copyright infringement. It is not. Recasting is illegal whether it's for your own personal use our for public sale.

Second, there is something called "contributory infringement." If you encourage others the infringe, that potentially carries its own liability. That's the risk of telling others how to do it.

Third, if you are un-happy with the current state of copyright laws, please write your local legislative representative and tell them it needs to change.

I love having you around Ardyer, it puts the stymie on watercooler IP law interpretations that usually run rampant on any forum related to GW. Cheers, bud!

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:59 pm

phreedh wrote:
ardyer wrote:Okay, standard disclaimer: I'm am American ip attorney, but copyright law is largely harmonized across Europe and the USA. However, your local laws may vary.

I love having you around Ardyer, it puts the stymie on watercooler IP law interpretations that usually run rampant on any forum related to GW. Cheers, bud!

Your welcome :D

And as a note, I can't stress the importance of point three enough. If you don't like it, do something about it. It's the only way to make it change.

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:00 pm

optimus wrote:This is a "personal opinion", not a legal issue!

My two cents.

It might be worth checking your facts before you start posting stuff like this as the gospel truth.

Edit: Ninja'd by ardyer, who uses big words and clearly knows more than me ;)

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:48 pm

Skarsnik & Old Lead wrote:

My two cents.

It might be worth checking your facts before you start posting stuff like this as the gospel truth.

In pretty sure I know the facts about Australian copyright law.....even without a degree on the subject!
My Blog: Mr Papafakis
Stuff I'd like to have: Wishlist
Stuff I'd like you to have: Trades

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:08 pm

optimus wrote:
Skarsnik & Old Lead wrote:

My two cents.

In pretty sure I know the facts about Australian copyright law.....even without a degree on the subject!

Okay, so I just checked on Australian copyright law (statutes, not case law) and there is, actually, a private use exception. However, it specifically applies to "recordings" and not sculpture.

Either way though, this is an international board and I can we have to apply the strictest set of policies here.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions