OOP, PDFS & COPYRIGHT ©

Discuss anything related to miniature games not covered in other forums

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:42 pm

Re: Sv: OOP, PDFS & COPYRIGHT ©

jprp wrote:I doubt that all GW printed products are still in copyright, i remember reading that printed works have a 25 year life before being Public domain (meaning anyone can publish versions of classic literature)-though this may have changed.

It doesn't go public domain until 75 years after the author's death. Otherwise, Lord of the rings would be public domain by now. ;)

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:54 pm

el Superbeasto wrote:
jprp wrote:I doubt that all GW printed products are still in copyright, i remember reading that printed works have a 25 year life before being Public domain (meaning anyone can publish versions of classic literature)-though this may have changed.

It doesn't go public domain until 75 years after the author's death. Otherwise, Lord of the rings would be public domain by now. ;)

I`ll take your word for it but i`m fairly sure that wasn`t what i read (lots of inaccurate information out there) but i still think it would be worth approaching GW for a statement on there position regarding things that members are likely to assume are ok.

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:32 pm

jprp wrote:
el Superbeasto wrote:

I`ll take your word for it but i`m fairly sure that wasn`t what i read (lots of inaccurate information out there) but i still think it would be worth approaching GW for a statement on there position regarding things that members are likely to assume are ok.

Just for clarity it's life of the author + 70 years in the UK, here is the word of THE LAW (sort of):

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-duration/c-types.htm

GW won't make a statement about anything, because it's not in their interests to do so. All OOP GW material remains their IP* and it is entirely their choice whether they distribute that material or not (and there are good business reasons not to have multiple variations of the same product on the market at the same time). You can safely assume that you can do anything permitted by Fair Dealing (Fair Use in the US), and that anything else you might wish to do regards duplicating or distributing their IP is an infringement,

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-othe ... eption.htm

*except in the case of many freelancers, where GW evidentially do not have the paperwork and were only sold first publication rights, in which case the IP is owned by the freelancer, and not GW.

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: OOP, PDFS & COPYRIGHT ©

Copyright actually makes a distinction in term between works created by a single creator and works created by a company. I'll try to Trendnet to add more tonight when I get my computer out :)

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:18 pm

With regard to things in old WD and Compendiums/journals in many cases express permission was given to copy for personel use.
I`m not interested in touching the casting issue but as far as regards printed works-would it not be worth the mods drafting a letter to GW legal asking for some clarification on obsolete versions of game products?

Not this again.

The legalities of copyright infringements have been discussed earlier in this thread. Something that you think you might have read on the internet (which isn't true even if you did read it) won't change them.

The most basic of google searches will find you all the official info you might need.

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:58 am

So, first apologies to all, but I can't help myself...I'm an IP nerd.

Second, standard disclaimer: I'm only licensed to practice law in the USA, any information I give here is purely hypothetical, and do not follow any advice I may give without consulting a lawyer about your specific circumstances. Also, this is not to be taken as an agreement to represent anyone.

There, with that out of the way, most of GW's stuff would be classified as "Work-for-hire"/Corporate Authorship. In the USA, that carries a copyright term of 95-120 years depending on date of authorship and publication. After a quick check, in the UK that grants a minimum copyright term of 70 years. It can be longer depending on the authorship situation. So, to answer your question, we' re still a long way off from any edition of Warhammer being free of copyrights.

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:58 am

ardyer wrote:So, first apologies to all, but I can't help myself...I'm an IP nerd.

Second, standard disclaimer: I'm only licensed to practice law in the USA, any information I give here is purely hypothetical, and do not follow any advice I may give without consulting a lawyer about your specific circumstances. Also, this is not to be taken as an agreement to represent anyone.

There, with that out of the way, most of GW's stuff would be classified as "Work-for-hire"/Corporate Authorship. In the USA, that carries a copyright term of 95-120 years depending on date of authorship and publication. After a quick check, in the UK that grants a minimum copyright term of 70 years. It can be longer depending on the authorship situation. So, to answer your question, we' re still a long way off from any edition of Warhammer being free of copyrights.

I wasn`t thinking of rule books, more things like WD articles or journal updates etc, i would be surprised if even GW would bother to get upset if you made photocopies of a scenario from 30 years ago so that a group of you could play without handing round a single original copy.

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:16 pm

Such use would most likely fall under fair use / fair dealing, no worries.

Post Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:02 pm

remember as well that many scenarios and suchlike in WD were designed to be copied and distributed - even where it didn't explicitly say so! if you tried to make money off it then you'd be in trouble but simply photocoping rules or gamesheets would be ok.

i think.

Post Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:13 pm

daddyorchips wrote:remember as well that many scenarios and suchlike in WD were designed to be copied and distributed - even where it didn't explicitly say so! if you tried to make money off it then you'd be in trouble but simply photocoping rules or gamesheets would be ok.

i think.

Problem with that is that unless it specifically says so (like a lot of the building templates do), you can't prove it. Which means its up for a judge to decide. Which means that you have no idea how it's going to turn out. Because in my experiences, courts don't understand IP law.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions