OOP, PDFS & COPYRIGHT ©

There is another aspect about recasting that hasn't been mentioned at all which I should point out after having read all of this thread.

People talk about recasting parts of miniatures for repairing figures and some of you are against this, however such a thing is common practice in a field known as Professional restoration.

Often the restorer has to make a mould of... lets use a picture frame for an example, part of the frame is damaged, so the restorer will use various materials to make a cast of part of the frame which is undamaged and will match the damaged part, he then casts it up and replaces the damaged part.

The owner of the item restored can then if they want to still sell it at a later date, but it MUST be declared that it has been restored, so it is always advisable to document any such work for future owners provinace.

This can apply to ANY item regardless of it's age, ie it doesn't have to be an antique, it can be a modern piece which has been damaged.

So this will also apply to anybody who needs to recast say an arm or weapon for their figures as you are restoring that minature, just remember to state and provide evidance that you have restored it when passing it on.

Just something to take into account.

Needless to say, recasting an entire figure without the original or current owners consent is a criminal offence, regardless of the age of the figure, that's called forgery.

If you DO have permission, the finished item is called a Reproduction.

A few years ago WotC has re-reprinted its old editions. Was considering buying the 1st ed but they replaced the original art with dungeonpunk so I decided not to. Still, it shows that with enough following a publisher can reprint old editions to cater to grognards.

I wonder if something like this could be possible with GW...

Galadrin

That was a direct response to the massive grassroots OSR movement. Oldhammer is nice, but it doesn't hold a candle up to how productive the OSR has been.

Galadrin":267lpdyj said:
That was a direct response to the massive grassroots OSR movement. Oldhammer is nice, but it doesn't hold a candle up to how productive the OSR has been.
Damn, I just remembered, that WotC actually made lots of 2nd ed materials free after 3rd ed came. Remember downloading lots of supplements from their page between 2003-2006. And they were also selling rulebooks through Paizo.

treps

AranaszarSzuur":7og9tlrf said:
I wonder if something like this could be possible with GW...
GW did reprint the first edition of WFB and included it with the 25th anniversary collector's edition of the big rulebook :)

Zhu Bajie":1vqhbqbw said:
This isn't a matter for discussion at all.

It's illegal. End of.

Sorry. Just to qualify that, only myself and Steve are at material risk from any legal action that may (or may not) be undertaken, my name is on the domain, and Steves name is on the hosting, so we're tracable. For me this is non-negotiable. If you want to promote illegal activity, please do it elsewhere.

Good to hear.
Nice to see this stance taken.

Back