Why don't I like Marauder or Iron Claw Goblins, or do I?

Just John

Gentlemen,
I currently find myself in a dilemna. I seem to be in a minority about these two brands of late 80's goblins. I hate them. In fact hate isn't a strong enough word for the Marauder ones, I think I actually loathe them, well in so far as a relatively sane man can loathe a piece of metal that is. In my mind they are the start of the sculpting rot that set in and destroyed Citadel. Oversized weapons and 2 dimensional poses. Oh and cheesy grins, lets not forget the cheesy grins.
Iron Claw I'm not so sure about. I have 12 or so which I took out tonight with the intention of listing for sale. But then I changed my mind. And then I changed my mind again, Now I can't remember if I last decided to sell them or not so they've gone back in their box. As far as I know this is what happened the last time too.
So my point is - why do people like them (or hate them)

Confused and Bewildered

Blue in VT

You're asking the wrong person if your asking me... :?

Everyone has different tastes I suppose...nuff said

Blue

Zhu Bajie

I don't like them either. There is quite a bit from that period which is just crap, mainly thinking of the Mounted Elves doing the YMCA, which amazed me because the warriors and wardancers were so nice. Oh yeah and the Warhammer Regiments boxed set. How low quality was that? 100% less detail than any of the previous plastics. Very disappointed in those. All got a bit too production-line, too regimented.

Iron Claw - I like a lot of Bob Olleys stuff, but these did come across as a bit toy-like with the fat weapons. Can't beat his ogre/trolls from Ral Partha and lovely stuff for Fantasy Warlord. Sell em and buy that stuff instead!

bug16

I think Bob's sculpts are a bit of a marmite affair. I love his old Citadel Undead models but I don't own any because they're so different, and larger, than the rest of my Citadel Undead. Maybe I should treat myself and build a couple of units using them just for the sake of it! :)

I absolutely hated the Marauder undead range. The skulls on those skeletons just look so.. stupid.

The Regimental boxed set of 60 placcy models was indeed horrible compared to earlier plastic releases, even the Psychostyrene Dwarves were better!

Blue in VT

Keep in mind that we are talking about individual sculptors here...in this case Iron Claw=Bob Olley and most of Marauder=Trish and Ally Morrison....you don't like those particular sculptors style that's all.

....but...that said... I don't understand how you could not appreciate a figure like this... 8-)

DarnogCombo.jpg

Or these:

BlueInVTRound9.jpg

But hey...Like I said different strokes for different folks!

Cheers,

Blue

bug16

Blue in VT":25ov3xyw said:
Keep in mind that we are talking about individual sculptors here...in this case Iron Claw=Bob Olley and most of Marauder=Trish and Ally Morrison....you don't like those particular sculptors style that's all.

Oh absolutely. :)

Just John

I really like the shaman Goblin but those wolf riders do nothing for me (apart from the pj's which, as ever Blue, are excellent) Everything just seems wrong with them (to my eye anyway). The weapons are oversized and the expressions are becoming comical - but in a cheesy kinda way.

I think it goes a bit beyond individual sculptors and wonder if perhaps it marked a change in direction for GW. I do like some of the Morrisson's earlier sculpts but just not these (or the elves from the same period)

I'm not taking a swipe at anyone's taste here, I just find it interesting to see why some ranges are liked by some and disliked by others.

Zhu Bajie

Very nice painting on those Blue, Almost swaying my opinon...

Just John":2dyewzxz said:
I think it goes a bit beyond individual sculptors and wonder if perhaps it marked a change in direction for GW. I do like some of the Morrisson's earlier sculpts but just not these (or the elves from the same period)

Got to agree with John here, there is something markedly different between the Marauder range and say, the Morrissons pre-slotta Hobgoblins and Talisman miniatures, both of which I really like.

Regards Bob, I mentioned his Ral Partha Trolls earlier, and found this picture.
ral_partha_bob_olley_trolls_all_12_1.jpg

Gimmie gimmie.

Blue in VT

I take no offense...and appreciate the comments on the painting.

I do believe that Marauder was a bit of a change of course....I think this was the period in the run up to 4e edition when the studio was more interested in creating good looking units that field well on the table....this meant some change from the wonderfully individual sculpts of previous editions. I think the regiments of Renown were kind of the precursor to the "unit" idea....this was further fleshed out in the Marauder range...particularly the blister box unit deals...and ultimately lead to the much more homogenized figure ranges that really came out in late 3e (empire) and early 4e (everyone else) where they would sculpt a command section or two and 6-8 rank and file sculpts for each unit type that would work well together. They make great looking units but lack much of the individual character of earlier sculpts...IMO

As to the style the Marauder goblins certainly have more of a "cartoonish" feel to them...which fits with my bright painting style and silly sense of humor. These are the best Wolf sculpts though IMO...the plastic ones after this are TERRIBLE...and the metals before seem a bit "weedy" to my eye...again IMO.

Whats your feeling on the Marauder dwarfs? I think you know my thoughts....but I would say they have some of the same cartoonish feel to them.

And before you accuse me of being a fanboy I will say that I'm not fond of the Marauder elfs (DEs excepted)....or skeletons....some of the beastmen suck...and there aren't enough R&F options for the Thug unit.

An interesting discussion no doubt.

Blue

PS...WOW! those Bob O Trolls are AWESOME and the painting is spectacular!

Naagruz

Being an O&G player when Marauder launched, my first thought was "Oh, those are the cheaper GW minis right?" More toy-like poses, low detail, & heavier cartoon character put them into a category I wasn't ready to touch. Compared to Kev Adams '80s stuff, they are crap.

Olley's Gobs, by comparison, seemed to just be from a different universe than Kev. Bob's unique style wins through for most of his gobbo sculpts & many were worth picking up.

Neither ranges have the nostalgic Citadel "feel" to me, but I'm picky. :grin:

bug16

Blue in VT":2qq2pk6w said:
..I'm not fond of the Marauder elfs (DEs excepted)....

I quite liked the concept of the Marauder DE's and some of the sculpts in that range are very dynamic but.. there's just something about them that I don't like. *shrug*

Back