The Arena of Doom 1st Ed. Play by Post Game

Zhu Bajie

Been thinking about doing a turn-based, play-by-post arena using 1st Edition Rules.

It would work something like this:

1. Create a character using WHB1E Book 3 "Characters"
2. If there is no current combat, post your character in this thread and challenge the current Arena Champion.
3. I will PM the current Champion to notify of the challenge.
4. Both the Champion and the Challenger PM me their action for the turn (move, shoot, charge, whatever)
5. I will do the die-rolls and adjudicate the out-come of each turn.
6. If winner, goto 7 else Goto 4
7. Experience points, gold and wounds are awarded.
8. Await next challenger.

The combat takes place in a circular 24" arena, the Challenger enters from the south, the Champion from the north (I'll draw a map for in-game reference)

Anyone up for it?

Thantsants

Re: The Arena of Doom 1st Ed. Play by Post idea

Sounds fun - count me in.

Reminds me - Do you remember the advert in one of the old WD's of a play by phone Gladiator combat game - it had this brilliant illustration of two smartly dressed chaps screaming down the phone at each other while the wires from their phones plugged into a couple of gladiators duking it out.

Think it was one of the many Livingstone's many games?

Orlygg

Thantsants... I recall that game, and its ad too. Count me in too!

Zhu Bajie

Yay, cool!

Don't remember that phone game advert... sounds like a biting satire on the telesales industry!

OK here's a sample character sheet" - could be prettier, but it's all the forum allows really (and I'll be recording characters into a spreadsheet, so graphics are out). If you could keep to the same format, with the tabs and whatnot, that will help keep things running smoothly.

Player : Zhu
Name : Thes Pyan
Race : Man
Alignment : Neutral
Social Status : Bondsman
Sex : M

M : 4
WS : 4
BS : 3
S : 2
T : C
W : 1
I : 5
A : 1

Ld : 2
Int : 8
Cl : 9
WP : 1

Money : C1

Weapons : Hand Axe
Armour : None

Skills : Actor

--
Next up, the Arena of Dooooom!

Erny

Sounds fun but I lack the first ed game.

Zhu Bajie

Erny, I'm sure they are out there if you look for them...
Hey John, welcome aboard!

OK so here's a sample of the arena at the start of a game:

arena-of-doom.png

In order to take a turn each player should PM the GM (me!) with their instruction. A turn should consist of:

Character:
The name of the character
Movement:
Write the Grid Reference, i.e. 13/U write Charge! if you're charging at the opponent. Movement out of range is not permitted, and will be brought up to the extent of the allowed range. Note that while there is a grid, movement is not restricted by it (i.e. your character won't always occupy a whole square). All movement is in a straight line but diagonals (at any angle) are permitted.
Shooting:
Write the Grid Reference you're shooting at i.e. 18/O
Shooting only occurs at short range, and you can only shoot at what you have line of sight of - vision is blocked by the base of any scenery man-height or taller (the columns above block vision).
Turns are processed in strict Initiative order, so if your Initiative is lower than your opponents he will have moved before you get a shot in, so either don't bother or guess where he's going to be. Success or failure will be a judgement call on the part of the DM.
Actions:
Describe any other activities. Extra XP will be awarded for clever creative and entertaining use of skills. Also any magic cast should go here.
Some actions (such as attempting to open a chest) will cancel any movement for that turn, although fighting and shooting can still occur.

Results
Once both turns have been sent in, and results of the actions determined, the GM will publish a post that contains:
* the turns as sent in by the players
* a description of the outcomes
* an updated map to show the current positions of the characters
* XP awarded

Winning
The player wins who reduces his opponents Wounds to 0. Depending on the Injury results, this may end that round. Fights are not always to the death - seriously injured contestants will be given a chance to heal up fight another day, or go about their own adventures.
Both opponents will be awarded XP and Gold, typically a Mercenary wages for the loser, and a larger "pot" for the winner. This may be spent on equipment, ale or whatever. The reigning champion is housed in the arena under-dungeon, and may choose to retire at any point.

Hints
* watch out
* the DMs word is final

--
Does that make sense? Any questions, queries or clarifications?

Orlygg

Ohhh, that looks good. I better get out my White Box and create a character!

DaImp

Player: Da Imp
Name : Koril the dark
Race : Human
Alignment : Evil
Social Status : Freeman

M: 4
WS: 3
BS: 2
S: 2
T: B
W: 1
I: 3
A: 1

Ld: 2
Int: 3
Cl: 5
WP: 8

Money: C1

Weapons: 2 Handed Axe
Armour: Jacket, Trousers

Skills: Actor, Armourer

Zhu Bajie

Koril climbs the stairs, blinking into the light and thunder of applause. Elven princesses, strange feathered frog-men, drunken gamblers and armoured princes. all manner of creatures fair and foul are seated around the auditorium and cheer. Above the din, a deep, booming voice orders silence, then rumbles on:

"Welcome to the Deathspell Arena Koril the dark you shall take the Crown of Champions and await the first Challenger"

Thantsants

Damn - busy end to a busy week. I'll try and get my arse in gear and join Koril with a character asap...

That Crown is mine I tell you! :twisted:

DaImp

Koril's ugly face is split asunder by a crooked grin, revealing black and yellowing teeth. He spits a dark phlegmy substance onto the cobblestoned floor and awaits the first challenger...

Thantsants

Dammit - struggling to find a source of 1st ed. information to generate a character - unless anyone can tell me the magic formula.

Missed out on a copy on ebay the other day too :mad:

Naagruz

Thantsants":17ordq4d said:
Dammit - struggling to find a source of 1st ed. information to generate a character - unless anyone can tell me the magic formula.

Missed out on a copy on ebay the other day too :mad:

Ditto. Bottleneck on the 1983 limited printing. Scribd was less than free with the PDF to boot. Anyone want to table a copy of the PDF? ;)

Dreamfish

Administrator

I think I got the pdf version somewhere. Got to look it up.

Zhu Bajie

Please keep any discussion of illegal filesharing off-board.

big-brother-is-watching-you-1984-ingsoc-political-poster.jpg

HAIL THE EMPEROR!

Thantsants

Sorry for prompting that - although I was really after a mathematical formula (if there is such a thing?) for working out the stats in line with 1st ed. I'm still hunting down a copy on ebay!

Thantsants

Here's my character - first go with 1st ed stuff so hope there's no daft mistakes!

Player: Thantsants
Name : Bryan of Nazreth
Race : Human
Alignment : Good
Social Status : Freeman

M: 4
WS: 3
BS: 2
S: 1
T: B
W: 1