Oldhammer Artisan's Contest I

e8THEGR.png

Oldhammer Artisan's Contest I: Regiments of Renown

Welcome to an Oldhammer competition! Games Workshop's artists and sculptors produced some good to astonishing pieces during the 1980s, and although the GW studio has overall stayed comparatively strong in the visual department ever since, styles have naturally shifted as the cycle of creativity is wont to do. Here, we want to recapture the Oldhammer art and miniatures's spirit in sketches, drawings, paintings, miniature conversions, sculpts, mock-ups and more!

We want you to draw, paint, convert or sculpt a new Regiment of Renown unit. Both Warhammer Fantasy Battles and Rogue Trader are fine. Tattoos, 3D-rendered art, and flat wood/stone relief carvings are all fine to enter. Sculpts and miniatures are also fine.

Then, we want you to write up a presentation for your brand new Regiment of Renown, including background. Each submission should consist of both images and text.

You can enter with both art images and photographs of miniatures (painted or unpainted). It can be as simple or as complex as you want to make it: Stick figures and mock-up miniatures are fine, as are original sculpts and lavish illustrations.

If you enter a piece of art: Please only enter original art, in effect art never before shared online. Please don't share your artwork publicly before the winners have been announced. You must have produced the art yourself. Break out the pencils or brushes!

If you enter miniatures: These need not be converted, although you are of course more than welcome to sculpt new models or convert existing models to fit your new Regiment of Renown concept.

There will be no nitpicking over whether an entry is Oldhammer or not; voting will sort that out.

Submit an entry by sending me a PM containing images and text. You decide how many images or how much text.

Deadline for submissions is 11:59 PM October the 12th EST 2022. We'll post a voting thread with all entries soon after.

Rights to artworks are all the artists' own. Ask them if you want to use any image after the contest.

The gold winner will receive an unpainted kit of 15mm Tjubbutaur Herd:

ZbvDeLw.png

Sounds fun? Then join us and get workin'. :)

Golgfag1

Fimm, you up for this ? I'm thinking the spearmen - your figures, Mafu at art and I'll paint the figures and between us we should be able to give em a back-story. :lol:

Paul / Golgfag1

twisted moon

i thought this would have gained a bit more traction.
i've got a couple of busy months ahead, but if i can find some time, and i get some inspiration, i'll have a crack at this
just wfb? or is rogue trade okay too?.

twisted moon":3munivs3 said:
i thought this would have gained a bit more traction.
i've got a couple of busy months ahead, but if i can find some time, and i get some inspiration, i'll have a crack at this
just wfb? or is rogue trade okay too?.

I'll send out PM notifications to participants of previous art contests here, and post a link on other forums. Hope it scoops up some participants.

I'll have a busy summer as well, so this deadline can easily end up being extended. Do not be shy to ask for an extension if it would mean anyone who wants to enter, can enter. :)

Rogue Trader is okay too! Rules updates for it.

Cheers

Padre

What about a regiment that I have already begun, having done the kitbash and the sprayed undercoating? BUT ... the thing is ... I did put one or two images of a few of the kit-bashed plastics up on a couple of sites. So, some have featured in an unpainted state elsewhere.

I have too much painting on atm (with these and a whole bunch more) to start something brand new. These are new-ish. Almost new. Newer than the rest of my collection.

Padre":2arxsgo5 said:
What about a regiment that I have already begun, having done the kitbash and the sprayed undercoating? BUT ... the thing is ... I did put one or two images of a few of the kit-bashed plastics up on a couple of sites. So, some have featured in an unpainted state elsewhere.

I have too much painting on atm (with these and a whole bunch more) to start something brand new. These are new-ish. Almost new. Newer than the rest of my collection.

No problem, enter with them. :)

twisted moon

as feared, i'm not going to have time to get a submission together for this. i hope it goes well and there are lots of entries, though.

Sickness has struck. Deadline extended to the 24th of August, preliminarily.

Fingers crossed the extra days prove useful for someone.

Best of luck.

Alright, the weeks ahead are proving to be a lot more busy than expected. This time of year is always busy on my end due to an upcoming annual event, but with some added stuff related to health recovery it's now clear that I'd better handle this contest after said event. Need to kill off stress.

At the very least, I hope this give some more people time to enter. As such: Deadline extended to the 24th of September.

Make the most of it, folks. And please excuse the impromptu long extension.

Neat, looking forward to them if you do!

No less than two things demanding all time suddenly popped up in my schedule around the deadline. Updated with a slight extension to the 28th of September. My apologies for that, but with some luck that will be the last hindrance in that regard.

twisted moon

i've had an idea. if i can get my hands on some suitable figures to convert / kitbash this weekend, i just might manage an entry after all.

Padre

Have you got many entries? Is there going to be a competition? Have people been secretly PMing you? Etc.

twisted moon

i didn't manage to find any suitable figures at border reiver or fantasy empire in tuebingen, so it doesn't look like i'll manage to get an entry in.

Back in the saddle after various planned travels and must-do-stuff related to fruit harvest.

Deadline extended to the 12th of October 2022.

@Padre: Sadly there has been a drought of entries. I've announced it on various other forums where I know some Oldhammer collectors dwell, as well as on the Oldhammer Facebook group. I've also sent PMs and chat messages to artists who entered in previous competitions. The stars did not align this time. The people who would usually jump on this opportunity may have all been busy. Given that August-September is usually the busiest period for myself bar Christmas-New Years, I should perhaps not be surprised.

Also, amid all preoccupation this time of year I somehow missed to tell one interested artist in time. I've asked him now, and he's up for it if an extension is in the cards. Ergo, we've extended. Hopefully some more folks will also jump aboard, and hopefully this is the last extension.

I'm finishing my own little entry today, anyhow.

@twisted moon: Bad luck there. I'd love to hear what your idea was if you don't make an entry out of it. Any plans to doodle it instead?

Padre

If there's this delay, can I publish my post elsewhere? I have been itching to put it on my website and various forums, but was happy to hold back a month. If posting elsewhere would ruin the competition aspect, then I could drop out (as I would not want the prize anyway as it is the wrong scale and wouldn't fit in with any of my projects at all).

I don't want to mess up anyone's plans, but I had plans myself! And I need the new figures to feature in my Tilea's Troubles stories soon! The campaign is slow enough already without any more delays!

twisted moon

Karak Norn Clansman":3nuwizjk said:
@twisted moon: Bad luck there. I'd love to hear what your idea was if you don't make an entry out of it. Any plans to doodle it instead?

i have almost no drawing, sculpting, or other artistic skills.
12th october may be achievable, however. i ordered the figures i'd hoped to get in person, and all but one of them has arrived. the project is underway.

Back