Why do you do this?

Blue in VT

Thats a good question...I think the figures are the big draw for me right now...I love the character of the RT era sculpts and I like painting them...when I have time. But I also love the game...and have been trying to play as much as possible...it drives both the collecting and the painting so its a good thing.

Cheers,

Blue

Dreamfish

Administrator
Compared to this piece my lousy attempt of creating gaming board look like steaming pile of gobbo poo at best...
Thank you demi, I tend to take the plan a bit too serious at times.

The result is just stunning - well done!!! Extremly well tbt :grin:
I can see now I should've spend some time at planning before elements were assembled.

phreedh

Dreamfish":2ehhvsig said:
I wanted to share this with my son(s) at some point in the future
This seems to be a recurring theme, and I can include myself in that. Most of us have kids that are too young to game with yet (though yours should be coming along nicely now DF). I'm interested to hear from the more seasoned parents... Harry, how about you? Your kids are old enough to enjoy a game of Hero Quest or simpler rule sets like Song of Blades, Skulldred or CROM! Have you had any success in geekifying them?

Harry

Yes indeed. :mrgreen:
My boy is ten and we have played Heroquest, Warhammer Quest, Talisman and Space Hulk.
Sadly he has grown up in a Star Wars, Clone Wars, Ben 10, computer games generation and I may have lost him to the dreaded round basers.
My daughter is more arty crafty and she enjoys painting with me. She will happily slap on a base colour over a whole model for me or Glue the sand on the bases ... and she is only 8. So in the future I am hoping my output might increase. :twisted:
Joking aside it is obviously lovely to be able to share my hobbies and both paint and play with my children. I get to disciver the excitement all over again. What a treat.

Oh ... and that gaming table is a real treat too. as nice (and as flexible) a table as I have seen. Must be a real treat to play on.
It is nice to be able have nice toys. :grin:

Dreamfish

Administrator
My oldest son is now 4 years old. I've got a big cardboard box in which I keep all my miniature related goodies. He really likes to browse through "the box" and preferably open all the little boxes inside. He'll ask about every miniature and once a box is completely opened and all miniatures inside are inspected, he quickly looks for another box to open asking me "and what does this box contain?". Like Dee Dee in Dexter's lab. He's always looking for "dinos" (5th edition Dark Elf Cold Ones) and asking if he can keep them all to play with. We've painted some miniatures together and "played" Heroquest a couple of times. Playing Heroquest with my son is like trying to setup a game while faling out of an airplane. I'll try to show him things whenever he shows interest, the rest will come someday...

Mine kiddo is bit over 1 year old only yet I think it will be great fun to roll some dices on the table with him or shew off Great Old Ones in Arkham Horror. Really can't wait :grin:

Erny

My boy always wants to play with daddies toys but he is only 4 so he still wants to play with out rules. So far we have played close approximations to hero quest, warhammer quest and even SoBH. For that one I printed out an over sized city grid and we used his super hero squad figures (think very cartoon avengers).

We have also done some painting. Next step is some 2nd ed 40K which is the most child friendly of all editions. Even my 2 year old son wants to play. The wife is fully aware that a gaming room lies in her future and she will lose her three boys (I'm one of them) to the gaming room fairly regularly. I have simple tastes, a big table, plenty of storage, a big TV and what ever the latest gaming machines are in say four years time.. Who could ask for more. So yes alot of my purchases of late have been with the kids in mind.

Now I know he gets so much help I know how come Harry manages to pain so much!

Harry

Erny":lfnl1pvy said:
Now I know he gets so much help I know how come Harry manages to pain so much!
LOL ... she hasn't painted that much for me. In fact ... I am pretty sure I have spent more time building stables, barns, toy farms, etc ... for her than she has spent painting for me. :grin:

Erny

Harry":2l7uf8rv said:
LOL ... she hasn't painted that much for me. In fact ... I am pretty sure I have spent more time building stables, barns, toy farms, etc ... for her than she has spent painting for me. :grin:

Ah but that really is the fun part, castles, zoos, I'm a sucker for doing that stuff, more than my own projects. Fancy dress is my favorite but that has cross over potential.

81d745ff.jpg

DSCN0255_zpsc8d164d9.jpg

Thantsants

Great costumes Erny - we've on;y had call for the old teatowel-over-the-head-shepherd job in our household so far...

My daughter is more arty crafty and she enjoys painting with me. She will happily slap on a base colour over a whole model for me or Glue the sand on the bases ... and she is only 8. So in the future I am hoping my output might increase.

My daughte (2 years of age) decided to "help" me out with some early morning painting a few weeks ago. In fact it was so early morning I wasn't out of bed yet...

Luckily she managed to paint more of the carpet orange than my Golden Gobbo entry!

Back