Old school renegade guard?

Arkansan

Out of curiosity is that something people were doing in the RT and 2nd era? If so how were they going about it? Just breaking out the green stuff and doing some coversions?

symphonicpoet

^I'm not 100% sure what you mean. Chaos renegade Imperial Army/Guard? A lot of folks in my neck of the woods really just did crazy paint jobs for their renegades. "Well Ben, looks like it's my marines against your marines, so who's the renegade today?" And I recall seeing some Army/Guard in some crazy paint jobs. Jay Bobson on Gateway Regional Oldhammer Group has some IG in a purple blue and gold scheme, which I think he started out for a sort of maybe chaos maybe not force in the late 80s. To be fair, he did some crazy conversions, but the seriously chaotic stuff in his army was always the marines leading the way. Often with fantasy parts bashed on. I really need to get him to take some pictures and put them on here. (Which . . . means I need to get him to join. Working on it. I promise.)

But yeah, conversions were pretty common all around then. There just wasn't the model variety available, so conversions were a good way to get a larger force with some more exotic units. And Rogue Trader pretty well encouraged that sort of behavior anyway.

Yeah, back in the day I had a Nurgle-themed IG army. I created them by using the RTB07 plastics, dipping them in paint stripper until the plastic went soft(!) and then strategically attacking them with a small wire brush to make them look like their armour etc was degrading and partially melting.

Long gone I'm afraid, but it worked well and they looked great.

Orjetax

dieselmonkey":1o1cmixg said:
Yeah, back in the day I had a Nurgle-themed IG army. I created them by using the RTB07 plastics, dipping them in paint stripper until the plastic went soft(!) and then strategically attacking them with a small wire brush to make them look like their armour etc was degrading and partially melting.

A bold approach with the paint stripper and wire brush. Neat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orjetax":3iueg2us said:
dieselmonkey":3iueg2us said:

A bold approach with the paint stripper and wire brush. Neat!

Thinking about it how I'd repeat it now, I think it'd possibly work better with strategically applied liquid poly cement or acetone brushed on just where you wanted it to melt, to make it a bit more controllable. I certainly lost a couple to failed attempts, I remember that much, but at a tenner for 30, it wasn't too bad!

Arkansan

dieselmonkey":5kxckadk said:

That sounds very cool.

Back