C46 Militia “BEGGER” range

A bunch of the C46 Militia range have “BEGGER” on their base tabs. Unsurprisingly, they’re tatty looking beggars that appear to be variants of three base figures:

They don’t seem a great fit for the rest of the militia range and look like they’re made by a different sculptor. I’m guessing there’s some sort of murky back story to these, but does anybody know what it is?

I don't think there's anything particularly murky going on there, sculptors would occasionally knock out models they wanted to make for whatever reason, and they were shoehorned into the most appropriate range at some point, and variants were pretty common just to bulk out a range

SoL has these down as being by the Perrys and Aly Morrison, these ones in question look more like Perry sculpts to me than Aly at the time, so they probably made them for a personal medieval project and they ended up getting released.

Agreed that they're more likely the work of the Perrys than of Aly M. They’ve also got the same vibe as some of the Perrys’ sculpted C04 Thieves who could be fielded in Warhammer using rules from the spring ‘86 Citadel Journal.

Zhu Bajie

The C46 code covers all the Villagers and Townsfolk, so perhaps they were designed as a subset of Beggars, but got folded into the Militia advert.

Could be. That said, there are a few common or garden beggars scattered among the various C46 releases and these militia ones are well armed in comparison. It makes me wonder why somebody decided they wanted a gang’s worth of aggressive beggars.

sparta575

I have a couple of these models and they hold prominent positions in the First Bogenhafen Militia - Underhill's Rangers - a militia unit led by Captain Barty Underhill - halfling pimp, loanshark, and proud proprietor of the legendary "Ten Maidens" club, located in beautiful downtown Bogenhafen. Comprised primarily of club employees, debtors, and weirdroot addicts, Underhiil's Rangers (consisting of only ten men, including a cook armed with frying pan) proudly took the field against a Tomb King host on Gamesday in Baltimore and (unbelievably) withstood the charge of a Tomb King chariot. The Games Workshop employee running the game asked a couple of questions and then began to excitedly grab friends and co workers, pointing as declaring, "Do you see that? Its a 33 point unit!!! How can an entire unit be 33 points???"

The second round of combat went differently and Captain Underhill was heard bellowing the unit's famous battle-cry "Run for your lives!!!"

Zhu Bajie

ha! that sounds great sparta!

Citizen Sade":31f711zt said:
Could be. That said, there are a few common or garden beggars scattered among the various C46 releases and these militia ones are well armed in comparison. It makes me wonder why somebody decided they wanted a gang’s worth of aggressive beggars.

Just a thought - have you looked through the Enemy Within Campaign? Might be a gang of armed beggars as an NPC encounter in there somewhere.

Back