The Border Princes

knobgobbler

So... this area of Warhammer's world seems wide open to interpretation. A balkanized wild west full of outlaws and exiles and hostile goblinoids as stand-ins for angry natives. Dwarf holds, wood elves, ruins... all sort sof weirdness.
Second only to Lustria, I am feeling its siren call... name a settlement, an outcast princeling, some 'interesting' neighbors... and have at it.
An excuse to collect all sorts of miniatures across a variety of subjects.

Beyond what's covered in 3rd edition WFB are there any definitive takes on the area? Big sources of inspiration? Or is it really that much of a tabula rasa?

knobgobbler

From what I'm reading, Renegade Crowns is a series of charts for randomly generating areas in that region.
That sounds like it might be pretty useful... and not too much of a canon restraint on whatever I might like to add.

Outsider

knobgobbler":2055b4hp said:
So... this area of Warhammer's world seems wide open to interpretation. A balkanized wild west full of outlaws and exiles and hostile goblinoids as stand-ins for angry natives. Dwarf holds, wood elves, ruins... all sort sof weirdness.
Second only to Lustria, I am feeling its siren call... name a settlement, an outcast princeling, some 'interesting' neighbors... and have at it.
An excuse to collect all sorts of miniatures across a variety of subjects.

Beyond what's covered in 3rd edition WFB are there any definitive takes on the area? Big sources of inspiration? Or is it really that much of a tabula rasa?

There's the novel Plague Demon which takes place there if you want something to base things off. Then there's a short story set there in the first Gotrek and Felix book which may help as that's definitely more outpost-y and fresh settlement than the more established nations in Plague Demon. And I think one of the fifth edition campaign books Idol of Gork, which was based around an Empire noble trying to settle a region there.

knobgobbler

Oh, that's interesting. Thanks!
I read those books a long time ago, but it was before I was much aware of the WFRP games or setting... so I didn't recall much about where they took place.
I'm not expecting a lot of specifics... but I'd like to see something of the early intentions of the designers were for the place. I've read they were pushing for a sort of balkanized 'wild west' feeling.

Do you have Dwarfs: Stone & Steel? There's a map of the Border Princes in the back and some of the settlements have Slavic and Greek names.

knobgobbler

Condottiero Magno":ua281bfs said:
Do you have Dwarfs: Stone & Steel? There's a map of the Border Princes in the back and some of the settlements have Slavic and Greek names.
Turns out I do! Snagged it a long time ago and never read it because I wasn't into dwarfs at the time, but I was a completist. Thanks for pointing that out!

I've started going through a test run of Renegade Crowns... my little parcel of land is pretty boring so far, but I like the idea of using some Slavic place names.

Padre

I was never too impressed with Renegade Crowns, and so never used it. It now resides in the loft somewhere.

Much earlier, I drew up a land for an RP campaign using 1st Ed Warhammer (when it did not know whether it was an RP or a WG) back in 1984. Then the official WFRP world came out later in the 80s and so I shoe-horned my own homemade fantasy realm into the Border Princes region of the Old World. It was geographicaly similar, what with mountains in the north and sea to the south, and the little towns and baronies, plus greenskin areas and evil wizards seemed to fit politically. Great times were had.

(Edit) I have just noticed what happened here! I think my comments are a bit late!!!

knobgobbler

Padre":1061v72z said:
I was never too impressed with Renegade Crowns, and so never used it. It now resides in the loft somewhere
I'm kind of liking it, actually. It's a tool to bounce my imagination off of... and the authors straight up say to ignore any result you don't like. Based on my first results I've bounced over to Dragon Rampant to create little retinues for various notables in the area. Those could eventually join up to form an army.

Back