Nippon army lists/background etc

Juxt

Being a collector of GW's Nippon miniatures, I've managed to amass a fair sized pile of oriental lead, but I've never really looked into the various publications that flesh out the models and make them more usable. This week I picked up a £3 impulse buy of the Ravening Hordes book, solely because it mentioned having a Nippon list in it, turns out it's a pretty nice book, especially at that price.
Which leads me to the question of, what other material was put out over the years? The HB Warhammer Armies supplement from like 1990ish seems to have something in it. Journals? Compendia? White Dwarf articles? Mail Order flyers? Rules in catalogues?

There were really only rules in Ravening Hordes (for 2nd Ed) and Warhammer Armies (for 3rd Ed). About the only other rules I can remember were for Ninjas in WFB that were in (After some googling!) WD81:

WD81p48OrientalHeroes-01.jpg

Although the Nippon rocket launcher was released and advertised in WD, it didn't actually have any rules released for it in 3rd Ed from memory.

There was also the legendary Tetsubo WFRP sourcebook that was never released officially, but if you search for 'Tetsubo pdf' you can get hold of a copy easily enough as one of the authors kept a copy and made it available a while ago.

All in all, Nippon was really just a product of the nerd fascination with Japan in the early 80s. When that died off, so did the interest in it.

Juxt

Thank you, that's pretty much the information that I've been able to find too, but then I came across this image

I have no idea where it came from (the yellow paper suggests something more like a flyer?) and it got me wondering if there were any other snippets hiding out there.

Zhu Bajie

Yeah, the orange flyer previews content that was published in the 1st edition supplement: Forces of Fantasy. There is another page that describes their uniforms, and shows some heraldry and there is a sample army, with a background in The Book of Batallions.

I did some blogging around the imagery early oriental Warhammer, but you'll have to wade through my babblings about 80s Japanomania and to dig out the relevant bits.

https://realmofzhu.blogspot.com/search/label/Furui Hanma

Back