Foundry "Bretonnian" Knights

I've been studying and evaluating the history of the Bretonnia range development this week.

I certainly won't bother Alan about it directly (I'm guessing he wouldn't be interested and it's all a blur to him anyhow).

I've become fascinated with the Perry Brothers affection for the line they sculpted, and their amateur expertise on medieval armor.

In 1989-1991 they revamped the 3rd edition Bretonnian line, moving off 1250 feudal styles and utilizing 1340+ HYW styles instead. (Their side project of the game Chivalry was also created around this same time.) Their HYW historical approach was reigned in a bit afterwards, with absurd magics and cartoony mallet weapons by 5th ed.

I bring this up because it seems that Wargames Foundry has a line of HYW figures, ALSO made by the Perry twins, which seem very much the same as the Citadel ones. It even includes some figures actually featured in the older Citadel range. I'm not just speaking of the "Ex-Citadel" listings at Foundry. I'm talking about their HYW range.

Take a look at Foundry's HYW cavalry, and compare them to the Citadel Bretonnian Knights release from 1991. They seem almost identical!

Unfortunately, Foundry is clearly using the 1986 feudal horses with those riders. Not only are those horses too darn small, but the molds are torn to pieces and the castings are miserable! I'd love to collect as many Foundry HYW rider bits as I can WITHOUT those horses, and use Perry Miniatures WotR horses instead.

Does anyone know where I might find some Foundry HYW cavalry rider bits (or maybe even the actual Citadel Bret rider bits)?
Anyone have any other thoughts about this approach to approximating 3rd edition Bretonnia?

Attachments

• 697580ba7ed29d31a49f83c21f717526.png
    697580ba7ed29d31a49f83c21f717526.png
    86 KB · Views: 2,057
  • cat1991bp233brettcav-00.jpg
    cat1991bp233brettcav-00.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 2,057
Yeah, the Foundry MED HYW range is one of the ranges that Foundry picked up with the other ex-GW ranges, that the Perrys then added to over time, from memory, so there are some ex-Citadel and some not in the same range.

It's probably not worth the effort, but you could try phoning/mailing them and asking if you could buy a bunch without the horses, but it'll depend on what mood they're in on the day.

dieselmonkey":2r8swhb0 said:
Yeah, the Foundry MED HYW range is one of the ranges that Foundry picked up with the other ex-GW ranges, that the Perrys then added to over time, from memory, so there are some ex-Citadel and some not in the same range.

It's probably not worth the effort, but you could try phoning/mailing them and asking if you could buy a bunch without the horses, but it'll depend on what mood they're in on the day.

LOL Way ahead of ya. Yea, Sam responded the next day saying that they can't do that. I'm sure the confusion of sorting and stocking separates like that would probably cut into their profits too much. So now, I must fish around instead, or bite the bullet and pay 4 pounds for each rider. Which isn't too bad I suppose. I'm just checking around first JIC someone in the community has a bin full of these in the bottom they'd rather get rid of. Because some folks prefer nothing earlier than 1997. :)

Though it might just as well be asked whether our community has people who WANT the Foundry ex-Citadel horses, and so then I could happily send them off to someone else at a smaller cost to me than if I just threw them away.

"One man's trash is another man's treasure", after all. ;)

Back