beastman got me stumped

dhifdjdrd

This beastie has me a little stumped -

d70LPcQ.jpg

Unfortunately tab-less. Judging he contains a healthy dose of lead.To me - he looks like a new-er-hammer ungor.

I jumped forward in the 1990s catalogues to examine the extended beastmen range and can't see him
and jumped backwards to the c27/38 range. No joy.

Perhaps I'm barking (braying) up the wrong tree? Any pointers fellow oldhammer'-ers? Perhaps somebody recognises him from another range?

dhifdjdrd

YFRAKgY.jpg

2hLpTSb.jpg

So I was thinking, horns, could be a horned helmet, style is a little like the C36 hobgoblins ? no joy
big tusks on his lower teeth, pig-snout style nose, I know there is a tradition of orcs being depicted with pig snouts and fangs. Could he be an orc of some description...

Fimm McCool

He certainly has a pig-faced orc look to him. Far too crude a sculpt to be GW though I would have thought. How big is he?

dhifdjdrd

Fimm McCool":27anqvrw said:
He certainly has a pig-faced orc look to him. Far too crude a sculpt to be GW though I would have thought. How big is he?

Hey Fimm! Thanks for casting your eye over my mystery!

he's nearly 28mm foot to eye. the spear is big, from foot to tip takes us to 50mm.

He arrived in one of those magical bootfair finds - caked in dust and spider poo. Inside 200 odd paints and figures. A lot of CH4 and C27 beasties which was what originally triggered my beastman identification. A few orcs, but all pre-slotta variety and none with simililar characteristics.

The most recent investigative attempt was thinking perhaps the lack of base was by design - some kind of balista crewman, or figure designed to be mounted on something? Massive spear might be for a chariot?
Been a bit of a dead-end there too! And no war machines or clues in the collection unfortunately.

Having trawled and trawled, I certainly can't exclude the possibility he' originates from a different range, and it paints a little narrative, original owner was early purist, chops off bottom in attempt to hide the fact! I haven't found any other non-citadel figures present in the box unfortunately. If he is an outsider, he's the only one. But I'm running out of ideas and catalogue pages to scan so I think it is time to broaden the search...

Back