3rd-5th 40k rules questions and what was your favourite ed?

lolman1c

Hey all,
Me and a group in the club are wanting to play some of the older editions of 40k (we're getting a bit bored of 8th and getting all nostalgia about the variety of options and creativity of older editions). We have an Ork player, Guard Player, Necron Player, Marines and Chaos Marines/ daemons player. I think we own most of the rules books as we have:
3rd editions big rule book that included the army lists and codices
2004 chapter approved
4th edition rule book
5th edition mini rule book
3rd and 5th edition necron book
4th edition ork book
4th and 5th edition SM books
4th edition CSM book

Was wondering if this is everything we need or are we missing any erratas or CAs that would be needed if we wanted to play 3rd, 4th or 5th. Also, is there any fan rules anyone made to make the games better or added in later units to older editions?

In addition, what was your favourite edition and what should we try first? (I know a lot of people like 5th but I also hear a lot of horror stories about 5th edition Necrons but I never played them so I don't know).

Re: 3rd-5th 40k rules questions and what was your favourite

Oldhammer is focused on the first 2 editions of 40K. There is a rather dramatic shift from 2nd edition to 3rd and later. I believe some people have adopted the term "middlehammer" for OOP editions of 40K that don't fall under the Oldhammer umbrella. As such, I'm afraid this site won't be much help I'm afraid. Many members will be unfamiliar with editions 3-5, or actively dislike them and having abandoned them for Oldhammer 40K. Even those who are familiar with edition 3-5, and are fond of it, would be unlikely to discuss it much. Not, so as you understand, as a snub to yourself, or these editions, but out of respect for the rest of the forum. It has been built up and maintained by Oldhammer fans, the more time and effort spent of other editions, the less focus is on their favoured editions. It would be rude to drown out Oldhammer stuff with other editions. Perhaps there is a middlehammer group of forum out there that could be more help.

That said, since I think it would be rude just to dismiss your question.
Editions 3/4/5 are pretty close, far, far closer than 1st and 2nd edition of either of those editions to 3rd. Mixing and matching the codexes should mostly work. Indeed many factions were left with older codexes as the editions changed. It is an out of print product, so feel free to pick and chose the elements from each that work for your group. My memories are vague, but I think that 5th ed missions were better balanced for late game comebacks, the effectiveness of vehicles, especially transports varied wildly. If you go with the very effective 3rd edition ones, I recommend doing away with overcharged engines. I think 4th edition overcompensated and made them death traps. Find the balance that works for you guys, don't stick religiously to one, as not even GW found the balance they liked, just make sure everyone is on the same page. Most importantly spend time playing, enjoying the game and then deciding what works, don't pore over the books like legal texts.
Useful books include any of the codexes, they should be cheap on ebay. Again, try and focus on fun lists, there aren't any tourney's for 3/4/5 there isn't much point in over competitiveness.
The Chapter Approved books for 3rd edition include alternative army lists, new assault and transport vehicle rules, clarifications and a Vehicle Design System useful for adding stats for other vehicle models.
Right, when it comes to Chaos in 3rd edition there were 2 codexes/ The first was pants. The second had much, much more choice and character. More potential to make broken lists too, but like I said, I imagine you will be playing for fun rather than competition in an OOP edition. So simply avoid the brokenness.
The witchhunter and demonhunted codexes include adversary rules, for cultists, mutants, rogue psykers and so on. Use these to make stuff like Genestealer Cults or others.
Codex Armageddon and Codex Eye of Terror include fun little lists as well. I think Codex Armageddon Salamanders are my favourite Salamanders.

What you need is just the big 3rd edition book, it already has lists. The rest is just more options. I think I'd probably steer towards 5th edition rules and missions with mainly 3rd edition Codexes and take advantage of the Vehicle Design Rules to add new vehicles and reskin Adversary army lists to make Genestealer Cults.
But most importantly, play. Build terrain, paint armies, play and tweak, play and tweak. Enjoy it, just maybe don't expect a lot of input from this forum :)

Orjetax

I’ve only ever played RT and second edition.

I like 2nd better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zhu Bajie

If it's not Rogue Trader I don't like it. A big part of that is that you only need one book, and that suits me.

Hope your game goes well.

OuteRimTim

I go in for a mixed/blended RT/2nd edition. Some of the rules in RT are just a bit cumbersome or vague in my opinion-the fractional inch deductions for turning and facing while moving, the reserve move phase and the vehicle rules as few examples. I do like the Vehicle Manuel supplement, was that for RT or 2nd? I'm not sure.

I'm not sure if the home-brew rules jumble my dad, brother and I play with would work for others, but it lets tell our stories on the table top. Just my two cents.

Vehicle Manual was RT.
2E vehicles were mainly in Dark Millennium.

symphonicpoet

dieselmonkey":1icuq10e said:
Gallowglacht":1icuq10e said:
Vehicle Manual was RT.

We don't talk about that... ;)

We did at the last RT game I played because it was the only way we could improvise rules for a Whirlwind. And dang it, there's not much more RT than a good Whirlwind. I'm sure it's in White Dwarf somewhere, but . . . who wants to dig through all of that? Especially in the middle of a game.

Now, we did not use the shotting rules in that book. Just the basic information to get an idea of armor value (armor?) and the speed and other basic traits. So we didn't really "use" the book. Just kind of glanced at it sidewise. But we did at least talk about it. Mostly in the grumbling negative. ;)

Ah the vehicle manual.... I still have it; and that ridiculous acetate targeting matrix

Legiocustodes":2nnh60hy said:
Ah the vehicle manual.... I still have it; and that ridiculous acetate targeting matrix

It was a fantastic idea, just appallingly implemented. :lol:

Matttp

Alright dude. Getting back to your question, I think 3rd is the most complete version of 40k you can get. It isn't as filthy as some of the later stuff and has the best set of codex's. It also has ace vehicle design rules. I'm going to say something controversial..... I don't rate 2nd ed (ducks for cover). It put me off 40k for years (until 1998 infact).
But to be honest just play the edition that you and your mates had those games you look back on as best. That is as Oldhammer as it gets :grin:

Back