The "How to do Oldhammer" Thread

Discuss anything related to miniature games not covered in other forums

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:15 pm

Re: The "How to do Oldhammer" Thread

Very cool Zoggin, and clearly a goblin. I love the way he's clearly a vicious little sod who'll batter your kneecaps.

How does his size compare with an 80s goblin on the one hand and a snotling on the other?

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:24 am

All good Chico, you know your stuff, I must have thought I was on another forum :) Alarm bells usually sound when I hear anyone talk about Genestealers and I dead the "Lol, then a hybrid bursts out of them just like in Alien!" and then they stick unrelated Tyranid parts to a guardsman and say it's a hybrid... :evil:

Grumdril wrote:Very cool Zoggin, and clearly a goblin. I love the way he's clearly a vicious little sod who'll batter your kneecaps.

How does his size compare with an 80s goblin on the one hand and a snotling on the other?

Thanks, here's a lineup of the usual suspects:

Next lot of photos, I'll see if I can round up a snotling.

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Oh, look at that - I thougt the asgard slave orc was a bit larger. Your gobbo looks ace!

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:34 am

The first update for my force:

Slow and steady! More on why they are a big deal at my blog:
http://leadasbestosblog.blogspot.com/

Now back to work!

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:06 am

Nice job Chris, they look really great - and congrats on the synergies! =)

LeadAsbestos wrote:Slow and steady! More on why they are a big deal at my blog:

I'm getting ready to prime my little EM4 plastic orc/hobgoblins. Will add in a metal leader and musician, maybe even a standard bearer too. Getting them from Forlorn Hopes. I've decided to not convert the minis at all, just to illustrate the fact that you can get a decent sized unit up and running with minimal fuzz and hardly no cost. Also, WYSIWYG gaming is kind of daft and not very Oldhammery at all in my opinion. The mold lines were a pain in the ass, btw...

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:49 pm

Judge me by my size, do you?

Well, here we are! As I had suspected, painting these pygmies was very quick as long as one aims for a "tabletop" standard rather than Golden Demon material. I spray undercoated with Army Painter Leather Brown. Then a few bits were given a coat of white or grey, and the whole mini was washed with Army Painter Strong Tone water soluble wash. After that there wasn't much left to do; some drybrushing and a few quick details and job's a good'un. Doing the base propably took just as long as the mini itself. Speaking of bases, they need to be embellished with bits of jungle flora, and I plan to do this when I return from my "romantic getaway" to Berlin with my wife (I am waiting in the airport in Oslo as I type this), where I will certainly not be spending much time on the forums (although there will of course be time to visit a few shops, most importantly Battlefield Berlin, the best miniature store I have ever set foot in). But I digress - here is the start of my pygmy ally contigent (and eventual army): a unit of spearmen, a unit of blowpipers and a shaman.

Photo quality is not the best, I'm afraid, I'll have to do some research into how to improve this.

One thing I loved about the spearmen was how easy they were to convert to vary the few poses available - the arms where thin enough that I could simply bend them any way I wanted, and by scraping off the headgear on some of the miniatures the unit could be made to look even more varied. This example shows two variations (left and middle ) made from the orignial miniature on the right. I shortened the spear on some poses, and this made the miniatures even more "pygmy-like" in my view. Perhaps I shall do some post-painting converting on some of the uncut ones. We'll see.

So far I am very happy with these Kallistra pygmies, and they really fit in with my vision for the army that is based, of course, on the Warhammer Armies ally army list as well as the original Citadel sculpts by the Perrys. Unless something else grabs my attention in the Berlin game stores I'll try and add some more units to this project when I return in five days time.

- olean -

EDIT: changed link to pictures.
Last edited by olean on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:53 pm

hey bud your images aren't showing up for me... :?

Cheers,

Blue
3rd Edition will rise AGAIN!!!!
My Painting collecting...and sometimes gaming Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

Chaos God of Nudehammer

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:07 pm

Good stuff everyone, mine still haven't been ordered.. but I have the plan worked out at least http://oldhammeronabudget.blogspot.co.u ... art-1.html

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:08 pm

Your images are posted as link:

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/p ... YzUC0VG-qQ

This will not work for sharing them with us as we don't have access to the link!

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:50 pm

So sorry about that - I see the error. Should be fixed now.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions